Working moms in their late 30's

Options
JMCade
JMCade Posts: 389 Member
Hi! Trying to find people of similar age/gender/weight/etc. How do you guys handle all the daily challenges plus keep up with your fitness?

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    An awesome husband. Without him, there's no way I could manage.

edit to add: I'll be 36 yo tomorrow (my b'day present - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/baisleac/view/late-mother-s-day-early-birthday-present-106180), have a 30 min commute to the most boring job in the world. I do NOT get up early to exercise; it's all I can do to get up in time for a healthy breakfast. Do not have a gym membership, though we're looking at the feasibility of joining the Y. Husband (Smersh on MFP) is a 31 yo SAHD. Daughter will be 2 at the end of July.
  • AlissaPT
    AlissaPT Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A gym with childcare for a monthly flat rate!! Couldn't do it without that!
  • Jovannyr
    Jovannyr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    A combination of a great husband, supportive kids, free gym at the complex with a kids playroom...:happy:
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I do my circuit training in the mornings when the kids are asleep. Then in the evenings, i tend to them first. I make dinner, cleanuup kitchen, get laundry going, get them in the shower. After all that and once my food has settled, i do my run on the treadmill for about 40 mts.
  • Tinalynn15
    Tinalynn15 Posts: 25
    Options
    I hear ya!! One day at a time. Sometimes is seem impossible to have the strength to get it all in, however knowing that all the hard work will help me stay healthy and live keeps me going. On the other days that every mother duties get in the way, I learned to take a rest day and not beat myself up so hard If I can't get it all in. =)
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    my gym that has a daycare for $10 a month no matter how many times you go and it's got this slide/crawl/climb thing like mcdonald's and that's only 1/4 of the room...the room is HUGE...adn the girls that take care of my son? LOVE THEM!!!

so, yeah, my gym :)
  • 1a1a1o
    1a1a1o Posts: 3
    Options
    On weekdays, I wake up around 5:45-6 am and exercise for 40-60 minutes (Zumba or running). If the kids wake up early, I tell them to get dressed or bug their dad. Then I go for a walk at noon (2-3 miles) and eat lunch at my desk afterwards. On weekends, I try to do a long run (currently 7 miles) or at least 60 minutes of cardio on Saturdays and Sundays.

About me: I work full-time (commute is about 35-40 minutes each way), have 2 kids (6 and 3), and (ack!) will be 40 next year. Mornings are pretty chaotic--there's often yelling and tears--as we try to get everyone out of the house by 8:10. Evenings are also hectic as I rush to get dinner on the table by 6:30 (before starting MFP we ate out a lot).

I have really been making a concerted effort over the past year to take better care of myself, as I was often sacrificing my sleep and sanity to take care of my family. I have Tuesday nights off and I'll use that time to pamper myself (massage, mani pedi) or to have dinner with friends. I also put my husband in charge of breakfast and lunches for the kids; he's been really great about getting the kids ready for school.
  • eryn415
    eryn415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    An awesome husband. Without him, there's no way I could manage.

AMEN!!!!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    wake up,
    take boys to school
    take daughter to MIL
    be at work by 8:30am
    Get out of work at 5pm and pick up middle child from daycare
    Go home and make dinner
    eat and feed daughter
    take daughter a shower
    pull out my weights and my daughters 2lbs weights (she is only 2yrs old) so we can work out together
    after that hubby takes care of her so I can shower, wash dishes/pick up (with the boys helping me of course)
    Get ready for bed and start all over again tomorrow......
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I have a wonderful support system including a great man who is also trying to be in great shape, parents who are very active cyclists, and a fabulous daughter who supports me. It also helps that my gym is $10 a month and gym child care is $5 a month. I think it also helps that I live in Colorado and there are so many outdoor activities that I love.
  • eryn415
    eryn415 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I also get up between 5:45 and 6am. I invested in a treadmill about 18 months ago and it's been PRICELESS. I jump on it for 40min-1 hour, then start waking up the kids. Then I take a shower and get the day going. Once I get home from work, I sometimes squeeze in another round on the treadmill. I also try to be active when I can during the day (walking from kids' school to work 1.5 miles each way, jumping jacks during commercials when watching TV, quick walk after lunch, shoot hoops with my son). I do also have an amazing husband. If only I could get him to lose some weight...

I am 33 years old (yikes...where have the years gone?) and my kids are 7 and 5.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Right now time is stretched pretty thin for me. I get up to get ready for work about 5:30. (Gotta take our 3 dogs out first though.) My husband runs his own business and puts in long days. My boys are both in baseball so we have games 4-5 nights a week. I've been going for a 25-30 minute run when I get out of work, before I pick the kids up from daycare. I live in a really small town so the nearest gym is about 20 miles away and I don't know if they watch kids. (I don't really want to start something expensive anyways). I was going to a zumba class 3 nights a week before baseball season started, but now it's down to 1 night. It's so tough to put yourself first!
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I second the awesome husband part.. my boys play baseball so if they are practicing i run at the park, if they have a game i make sure i run or walk during lunch... if by some far reach of the imagination i dont have anyone needing to be anywhere, that is me time, i get one hour when i get home that my hubby wrangles the kids and the dogs and i try and see how much i can sweat.... it's a constant balancing act that is for sure and it's not for lazy people.
  • pandaeye
    pandaeye Posts: 126
    Options
    My kids my mum my sister are supporting me and keeping me going, especially my mum.
    Get up at 6 am make husbands and kids packed lunch, husband leaves at 7, kids get up, breakfast for all, school for eldest at 8.10, school for youngest at 8.50 ( we walk there as I also work at her school) spend morning at work, go home at 12.30 have light lunch, work out for an hour, wash dishes, tidy beds/bed rooms, hoover/dust, ring my mum say hi, get youngest from school at 3.15 and meet oldest outside walk home, play some games/read, get tea ready for us all at 6 pm, wash up, get kids into bed, read Harry potter books with youngest, chat with eldest ( make sure all ok at school etc) get back downstairs at 9 to watch bit of tv collapse onto bed at 10 ready to do it all again following day..... Phew! :)
  • 78_kasia
    78_kasia Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm in my 30s and have 2 little kids. My husband works a different shift than I do, I don't have family near by, and, like you, life pretty far from a gym that offers child care.
    I know how difficult it is to fit in time to workout.

I've found that the best time for me is during my lunch hour at work.
    I hit the gym at my job (its not much of a gym with just a few treadmills and cross-training machines, but its something) and get about 40 minute workout in.
    When I can't get into the gym at lunch, I go for walks during that time.
  • AlissaPT
    AlissaPT Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    As the weather is getting nicer, going to the gym after work is harder - I want to play with my kids outside instead. SO, I just bought 30 Day Shred and I'm planning to do it every morning (waiting for it to arrive). I've been reluctant to go to the gym before work, especially with the extra time it adds driving there and back. My husband and I work opposite shifts, so he sleeps until I walk out the door in the morning. Going for a run leaves the kiddos unattended (5 1/2 and 3), so if I took them to the gym with me, I'd have to drive them back home again (not sure how early the child care opens, either). Let's hope doing an intense 25 minute workout before work will be a do-able addition to my workout schedule! WIsh me luck!