Stress eater here and I have loads of STRESS!!!

Options
Background. Work retail sales. Vending machine junkie. Caretaker for husband of 20 years who unfortunately was diagnosed with ALS 2 years ago. Have home nurse in while I work but it's all on me when I'm home. Working on weight loss and strength gain so I can help my husband move as he has little strength himself. This first week was good. Made a point of packing my lunch and snacks for work. Its when I get home that it falls apart. Husband doesnt eat much so usually have to fix 2 meals. And if hes having a bad evening, here comes the late evening comfort snack urges. Ice cream, peanut butter/jelly, chocolate. But, that being said, with a couple stressful episodes this week, I still managed to lose 4 lbs. So, you'll probably find me on here most evenings, needing you to talk me out of that Klondike bar.

Replies

• BOOTSMAN101
    BOOTSMAN101 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean when you get home from work and just pick because it seems to hard to prepare a proper meal. What I do now is make my dinner in the morning before work when I have more energy and then just pop it in the microwave or under the grill when I get home.
    The late snacking I made a rule that I would not eat anything after 8 pm no matter how much I fancied something.
    A good snack attack curb. blend some fruit then add water and put it in the freezer, I use a pint glass. You can stick a straw in it and sip it slowly when it's semi defrosted, it feels you up and has the sugar you are craving.
    Hope this is helpful to you
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Try to find something other than food to ease the stress - exercise, playing cards with friends, or a stroll around the block. Keeping the nurse on for an extra hour or so may help give you the time you need to relax and make and eat dinner mindfully. If you get ill due to being over stressed and not eating right, you will not be able to care for your husband. Taking some time for yourself is NOT selfish.
  • pili90
    pili90 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    When I started this journey, my solution was to have nothing, NOTHING, yummi in the house... The only things I had were meant to be prepared, or fruit, not even sugar free. I used my laziness to my advantaged, I would never leave the house to eat comfort food, and I had tons of stress.

Maybe you could try to reduce the goodies in the house, keep only healthy options, and the ones that require too much attention. Try to do this while you find a new thing to do to reduce stress. :)
  • pittmanwade
    pittmanwade Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good advice all. Off today so I fixed some extra dinners so id have something ready for me. I do try to catch a short walk with a neighbor when we can. I make jewelry so I destress in my beads when possible. And I treat myself to a bimonthly massage. Snacks I just have to tolerate as my husband has a hard time eating and little appetite. So if he asks for something, hes going to get it. Luckily some of his faves arent mine!!! Ive been keeping a bottle of water within reach. If im full of water, im not hungry. Many thanks for all your thoughts.
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Try meditation. There are lots of online videos and as little as 10 minutes a day is supposed to help. Also try a "walking lunch" at work. Eat for however long and then walk the rest of your break. Find a colleague to go with you.
  • pittmanwade
    pittmanwade Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I will start walking at lunch. Waiting for these 100 degree days to go away!!!!