Where are the nice people?

Options
In my first post in the community, I felt judged and ridiculed. I did have some nice encouraging people too, but geez.

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    You'll find fewer arguments in the groups (but also you won't get to see different points of view, so it's a trade off). Find some you are interested in and join them.
  • mewilliams11
    mewilliams11 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Everyone that I've met on here have been incredibly supportive & nice. Sorry that you've had a bad experience!

You can add me... I'm nice :)
  • ankdworak
    ankdworak Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm nice... feel free to add me for support. ankdworak
  • Blueloubie
    Blueloubie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm nice too......also could do with some shared motivation feel free to add me as a friend I'm a newby so haven't got to meet many FP buddies yet!!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's been my experience that every helpful poster on these forums, every single one, will be called rude, mean, negative, troll, bully, etc. at some point or another no matter how carefully they phrase their advice. Posts like this tend not to be very helpful. When every helpful poster is called out as mean at some point or another, then making a post like this without examples or qualifications just ends up pointing fingers at everyone.

There is some actual rudeness that goes above and beyond what should be acceptable here. Report it (use the actual report function not the flags) or call it out where you see it. But posts like this just add to the negative atmosphere that you're trying to combat instead of solving anything.
  • carpicke
    carpicke Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the negative rude people, I hope they are out numbered by the good one by at least 10 fold.
  • vlfreestone
    vlfreestone Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi started yesterday and at this moment in time my cravings are driving me crazy!!!

Would like some friends to help me lose the 10lbs I wish to lose!! I'm soooo nice, I think I'm funny and am a great listener! Friend me and see - if you don't agree you have my full permission to de-friend me!!! Lol
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Wow. I thought that people were being really nice for the past 25 days.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just read the thread you created, and didn't see anyone being rude. Looks like a bunch of people taking time out of their day to give you advice and trying to help you.

ETA: Assuming it's this thread, unless I missed a different one you started? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10233828/is-it-just-my-age-too-many-calories-what-gives/p1
  • Melodieccurn
    Melodieccurn Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Some people think if you don't believe in their way or ideas you are wrong. Ignore them. Add me. Also I am starting a new fall challenge to get us through the holidays. I have some seen some extremely rude people on here, I don't associate with them. I have no time for negative people, life is too short.
  • Melodieccurn
    Melodieccurn Posts: 966 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My group we are starting i s: the fall slimdown 2015 , anyone can join if you can't find it just message me.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    It's been extremely rare that I've encountered people who are anything less than helpful, informative, and interested in educating those just starting out or having a particular issue relating to weight loss, etc.
    In addition many are quite humorous which has the added benefit of enticing me to return and learn more in a warm, accepting environment.
    I also enjoy the honest and no nonsense attitude of many of the most knowledgeable and experienced members.
    I have rarely seen people being judged and ridiculed, but I have seen people being told when they are heading down a path that might lead to failure, ill health, unwanted consequences, etc.
  • jennmpantoja
    jennmpantoja Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    It happens unfortunately. It is easier to be nice I think. If anyone needs support and encouragement I am here! :)
  • brts2015
    brts2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think people can get smug when they've "made it" and easily forget the struggle it is to lose..
  • Petrolhead75
    Petrolhead75 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm in the UK, but I like to think I'm nice! Add me if you like :smiley:
  • shellfab
    shellfab Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yay! Great. I will be looking for the more positive energy .
  • TamTamRine13
    TamTamRine13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It happens unfortunately. Feel free to add me, I like to think I'm pretty nice and good for motivation! :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I looked at the thread you started, no one was mean or rude. They just didn't tell you what you wanted to hear. You were complaining that 6 lbs in less than 4 weeks wasn't good enough because of age or whatever other reason.

Mean people threads are on Fridays. I'm so sorry people took time out of their day to answer your question how dare they
  • shellfab
    shellfab Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I am being too sensitive. However, the upsetting part was the people telling me over and over again that my plan didn't work because I didn't stick with it. No, it worked. I just didn't stay with it. Or, the people calling cycling a fad diet, saying it was just another thing I wasn't going to be able to maintain. That isn't helpful.

I don't care that people were telling me my expectations were off. Fine.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I hear they're in Canada. :p . Yeah, you might want to grow a slightly thicker skin around here. But I do think that people mostly mean well.
This discussion has been closed.