Knowing the difference

Options
...between wanting to eat and needing to eat. I'm really struggling today. Had a good lunch, not hungry but still obsessing about eating - why? :(

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    IDK why, but it happens to me too. It happens to a lot of people I know. My daughter calls them the "hollow days".
  • derekspiewak
    derekspiewak Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I really did not like the feeling of being empty inside and was always looking to fill my stomach. I looked at it like torture and would do anything to avoid it. Then I started running, and I had the delightful experience of puking after trying to run on a full stomach. Now I don't mind being empty. :) Sorry to be gross, but it's the truth - try to enjoy the feeling of not having just eaten.
  • boricua3177
    boricua3177 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be cliché but drink some water. I am one of those people that can keep on eating until I am about to burst at the seams. I had to retrain myself not to eat like that. Whenever I felt the urge to eat simply because I wasn't stuffed, I drank water. It really helped.
  • brts2015
    brts2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be cliché but drink some water. I am one of those people that can keep on eating until I am about to burst at the seams. I had to retrain myself not to eat like that. Whenever I felt the urge to eat simply because I wasn't stuffed, I drank water. It really helped.

This is an ultimate truth!! If you have already eaten(and eaten enough!--listen to your body) Down a large glass of water, it'll give you that full feeling that you're looking for!
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    YES. Water helps, and if you're still feeling hunger cues after drinking water and waiting a bit, then you might actually be hungry. But most of the time it's just habit. I get most of my daily water in just trying not to chew on part of my desk before it's time for a snack.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Glad it's not just me! Yep, am a massive advocate of water! Spent yesterday afternoon drinking water and peppermint tea. It was more of a case of wanting to eat than really needing to, but I lasted the afternoon without caving :)@derekspiewak I have to be really careful what I eat before I run too and have had that experience once or twice myself over the years - not pleasant!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    As they said above drink some water and wait. Otherwise just prelog or have confidence in the amount youve eaten. As long as you arent being aggressive then getting sufficient nutrition should be your general target. If its too tough for you to sick to then consider if you need to lower your deficit, change what you eat or when.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    For me, the key to losing weight was accepting the difference between "not hungry" and "full.". I lost weight without being hungry. I could not lose weight if I ate until I was full. I don't know of any tricks for acting on that difference, other than discipline.