Need more Protein!

Options
How does everyone eat all their protein and more during the day? I'm having a hard time getting enough protein in without overeating in other nutrients. Anyone willing to share their high protein tips?

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Check out my food diary (it's public). I aim for at least 100g of protein a day and I usually hit it... and I'm not eating meat 24/7 to do it either. I have protein shakes, cheese, greek yogurt (LOTS of greek yogurt...), and peanut butter, among other things.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    How does everyone eat all their protein and more during the day? I'm having a hard time getting enough protein in without overeating in other nutrients. Anyone willing to share their high protein tips?

I just make protein shakes, I add like 2 or 3 scoops.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I too eat a lot of protein from Greek yogurt and whey... in fact, I love to put my whey IN my yogurt! :bigsmile:
    Post workout, my favorite treat of the day.... frozen berries, chocolate whey protein, a little almond milk (sometimes a banana too) and blend in the Magic Bullet! It's like a chocolate, berry milkshake! Delish!! :love:
  • falonjohle
    falonjohle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    check out my food logs... tuna, cheese, meats, protien shakes, etc...
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    i do protein shakes with almond milk :) Yummy!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem in the beginning. I lowered my protein 25% and raised my carbs 45% now I am good almost all the time.
    Go to Goals in your Settings and Custom change. Give it a week and see if this works for you.
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    2 % String cheese, bc it's low in cals and fat. Protein shake, (GNC wheybolic extreme mixed with milk, my fav). Almonds. Chobani greek yogurt. Eggs, mainly just use the egg whites.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I have protein shakes, 2 or 3 a day. Try to hit about 150g a day with as much from natural sources (food) as possible.

For food I have meat every day (usually chicken or beef - pork occasionally but it tends to be quite fatty)
    Other sources: eggs, tuna, greek yogurt (yum!) cottage cheese, milk, cheese, beans, nuts....
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem AND I eat tons of greek yogurt and at least 1 protein shake a day... (along with nuts, peanut butter and lean meat)
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big meat eater so this works for me, I'm always over my protein. Oh and if you look for the protein shake at GNC I get the chocolate bc it kinds tastes like a chocolate malt shake:)
  • kmp327
    kmp327 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I start the day with two eggs scrambled with beans, pieces of deli sliced turkey and cheese, so I get most of my protein from there. When I have a salad for lunch I throw in turkey, beans, and walnuts. (A little bit of each, not a ton). And then I have some kind of lean meat for or with dinner, whether it's mixed with pasta or the main dish with veggies on the side. I actually am eating too much protein according to MFP, but I disagree.

Non fat plain Greek yogurt I think is an excellent source of protein as well - I find it disgusting in taste, haha - but I add a spoonful or two into a fruit smoothie (it's like sneak attach protein and calcium).
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'll be happy to share how I include protein in my diet:

Breakfast - egg whites, some whole eggs, egg white omlets with chicken breast or turkey breast in them, nonfat greek yogurt, nonfat cottage cheese (watch out for sodium though), Kashi cereals, nonfat milk

Snacks - protein shakes, protein powder mixed into oatmeal, Luna bars, Kashi frozen dinners, whole wheat english muffin with some natural almond butter

Lunches and Dinners - chicken breast, turkey breast, ground turkey burgers, chicken sausage, fish, shrimp, lean beef, lean pork, beans, some nonfat cheese

Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • marcotte84
    Options
    What types of protein shakes do you prefer?
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I also have a public food diary. I hit mine with protein shakes (the last few days are not typical for me - check back the previous work - more of my "normal" diet), eggs, turkey, chicken, fish.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    of course meat...but then protein powders, dairy (milk, cottage cheese, cheese and yogurt), eggs, peanut butter, beans, nuts, etc. To make it all balance, I try not to eat too much bread, potatoes, rice or pasta. Those four things are treats! It is most likely the refined carbs that are doing you in...OR...fruit. But personally, I don't limit my fruit consumption.

The cleaner that I am eating the higher my protein is at the end of the day.

D
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I like the Optimum Nutrition Whey at GNC. My favorite is Vanilla Icecream. My husband likes the chocolate.
  • LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My diet is 50% protein with low carbs so it gets tricky.. I eat eggs, protein shakes, and alot of chicken, fish, edamame, etc. Feel free to look at my diary.
  • registers
    Options

I use Muscle Milk, it's a little bit higher in carbs than other proteins, but it's for a reason. Carbs help transport protein to the muscles.

You can get Pure Protein(that's the name of the product). It has lower grams of carbs.

About the taste... they're okay, nothing special. I think they would better with something like non fat milk, or whole milk if it doesn't matter to you.
  • registers
    Options

I use Muscle Milk, it's a little bit higher in carbs than other proteins, but it's for a reason. Carbs help transport protein to the muscles.

You can get Pure Protein(that's the name of the product). It has lower grams of carbs.

About the taste... they're okay, nothing special. I think they would better with something like non fat milk, or whole milk if it doesn't matter to you.
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You may not need as much protein as they say you do. You just gotta find what works for you. I average about 75-80 grams on a non-weight lifting day and 95-100 grams on a weight lifting day. I just add a protein shake made with chocolate soymilk on my weight lifting days.

I'm a vegetarian so it's easier for me to get protein without overloading on fat, especially saturated. Greek yogurt is packed with it! Also peanut butter, string cheese, almonds, beans, and tofu. While you may not like tofu plain, blending it in sauces for casseroles or smoothies is a great way to amp the protein without calories. It's practically tasteless so it's hard to even tell it's there. :)