another lifting noob seeking advice

Options
I would like to try lifting as I would love to be stronger, plus I think it may help to shed fat. However, I have zero experience.

So far I have gathered that you should ideally lift about 3 times a week; that you can use bodyweight, free weights or machines; that dumbbells or bodyweight are probably the most practical for home workouts.

I have access to a gym, but could not practically get there more than once a week, so I am wondering if I can combine once a week at the gym with two home workouts.

I am also wondering if a Body Pump class would be worth considering in place of a solo gym workout, as I have no clue what I'm doing and it might be motivating.

I am worried about getting the techniques wrong and hurting myself.

All I have access to at home is a Wii, but I don't know if the strength training on it is any good or not.

Any thoughts, advice, pointers?

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    To clarify re the Wii, I have Wii Fit Plus with the balance board. I am also not opposed to investing in dumbbells if they are worth it.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    What's your fitness background? Body stats?

Even without knowing that info, I think that 1 total body gym workout plus 2 strength based home workouts (body weight plus maybe dumbbells) would do well for you. Invest in a a pair of dumbbells and a doorway chin up bar. Judging by your profile you just want to be healthy, no fitness or sport goals, so yeah this will do that. It will help you build strength, a little muscle and stay healthy.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    My background is that I've never taken enough exercise and haven't done strength training at all apart from a few flirtations with Pilates.

Cardio I find fairly easy in the shape of cycling and walking. I am about 35lb overweight and am pretty weak but have no particular health issues.

You're right, I don't have sports goals - just to be stronger and healthier, avoid losing muscle when losing weight, and I think it might be an interesting hobby.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    As a body weight routine that you can do at home, I like nerdfitness.com. Good simple moves that build strength.
    There are a number of body weight routines available; convict conditioning and you are your own gym, I think are another two.

Look at compound lifting programmes that you can transfer to hand weights, if you do a search on MFP there is a good thread on hand weight substitutions. ( sorry I am on my phone, so it is a bit difficult to find the thread for you).

You could alternate the weights with the body weight giving yourself a days rest between each work out.

These will be good for functional strength and help with lbm retention while losing.

Cheers, h.
  • mariafox30
    mariafox30 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do body pump classes 3x a week and have found that it really helps because it is an all over body workout , start off light then as you get stronger up your weights :)
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    thanks for the advice - I came across nerdfitness and liked the look of it. I'll have another look.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Catt,
    nerdfitness is not the most thrilling of programmes, but it is one that is easy to adjust to your starting strength then build on.
    I started as weak as a kitten so had to do the very simplest version of all the moves. It is surprising how fast you can progress.
    It is also simple enough that it can travel with you, another reason I like it.

I am not an exercises junkie, I am all about functionality, and simplicity.

Cheers, h.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Thanks, that's really helpful.

Anyone got any tips for how to choose a set of dumbbells for home use? Things to watch for or avoid?
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    It's a bit of a large upfront investment, but adjustable dumbbells are a great way to go. You get a variety of weight, take up less space and they resale pretty well when you want to upgrade.

• Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It's a bit of a large upfront investment, but adjustable dumbbells are a great way to go. You get a variety of weight, take up less space and they resale pretty well when you want to upgrade.

I 2nd adjustable dumbbells - I've used them before and really liked them, and you don't have to keep going out a buying a new set when you want to progress to heavier weights.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Still researching, and the amount of knowledge you seem to have for this stuff is quite daunting! As in, to start a beginner workout you need to know maybe eight different exercises.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed to be honest. Still feel like a bodypump class might give me a start, but watching the videos on YouTube is a bit daunting too. I have some trouble with my knees (crackly noise and discomfort climbing stairs) so I am not sure if exercises like the lunge or deadlift might make this worse.
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    No worries. It is a lot to take in all at once, luckily you don't have to reach your goal in 1 day! Take your time, try different things. You really can't go wrong, well not completely true, but moving more is a good thing.

I wouldn't get too worried about your knees UNLESS you have a past injury. The cracking/popping actually can be alleviated by moving more! The only way to get more synovial fluid into a joint is movement. Plus you don't have to do anything that causes pain, while doing it.

Take it slow, pick 3 movements, research them and practice, like squat, push-up and bent over row (legs/core, chest/triceps and back/biceps).
    The put them together in a routine.
    10 x squats
    1 minute rest
    10 x push-ups
    1 minute rest
    10 x rows
    1 minute rest

Repeat 5 times, DONE.

body-weight squat:
    body-weight-squat.jpg

pushup:
    variation
    knee-pushups.jpg

full expression
    push-up.jpg

bent over row (with gallon jug weights):
    259737_10150341821187501_757787500_10056740_3160448_o.jpg
    258504_10150341821267501_757787500_10056741_44299_o.jpg

• Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Many gyms will offer a free introductory personal training session - it may be worth checking into that at your gym, so they can give you some ideas of the different exercises, proper form, and answer any specific questions you have.