Greek Yogurt without all the Carbs!

Options
jljohnson
jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
I love greek yogurt, and have been getting either Fage with the fruit cup on the side or Chobani with the fruit on the bottom. I love the amount of protein in them, but the carb count seems really high. Does anyone have suggestions of how to make plain greek yogurt tasty like my fruity ones, but without so much sugar?

Replies

• shagybear33
    shagybear33 Posts: 272
    Options
    Try sugar free preserves? Something like Nature's Hollow (I think that's what it is)
  • dabean003
    dabean003 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I add a little bit of honey to the plain greek yogurt. It's still sugar but tasty!
  • LisaT9101
    LisaT9101 Posts: 9
    Options
    Stir in your own fresh/frozen fruit. You could also add Splenda if it is too bitter for your taste buds.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I switched over to the plain Fage 0% greek yogurt, but it's not the same as the ones with fruit and honey. They always seemed to put too much honey in there - so maybe buy the plain ones and add it just a small dash of honey. I think the sugar free preserves idea is good. Something I've been doing lately is starting with the 0% plain, and adding in some all natural almond butter and ground cinnamon - actually very good! Looking forward to hearing other ideas too...
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, added fruit and sugar = added carbs. I personally have learned to eat greek yogurt plain. My favorite is Fage 0% plain - but not everyone likes it that unsweet. If you are open to using a calorie-free sweetener (I personally use pure stevia) you could add a little of that to sweeten it up without adding more calories.
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I use frozen fruit and stevia
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Try sugar free preserves? Something like Nature's Hollow (I think that's what it is)

I use Polaner No Sugar Added Plus Fiber.
  • jljohnson
    Options

I use Polaner No Sugar Added Plus Fiber.

I hadn't thought of this... awesome idea!
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    don't add fruit! I add stevia and cinnamon to my Fage and it is still amazing but with less sugar or chop up 2 med strawberries really small and mix those in with stevia
  • jljohnson
    Options
    Unfortunately, added fruit and sugar = added carbs. I personally have learned to eat greek yogurt plain. My favorite is Fage 0% plain - but not everyone likes it that unsweet. If you are open to using a calorie-free sweetener (I personally use pure stevia) you could add a little of that to sweeten it up without adding more calories.

I'm ok with a little bit of carbs. I just don't like that with my 10g of protein, I'm getting 17g of sugar! If you do fresh/frozen fruit, or the preserves, how much do you use?

I'm a stevia user too, so I might try that with a little frozen fruit mixed in.
  • jljohnson
    Options
    don't add fruit! I add stevia and cinnamon to my Fage and it is still amazing but with less sugar or chop up 2 med strawberries really small and mix those in with stevia

Cinnamon!!! I never would have thought of that! I'm so glad I asked this. Everyone is so helpful here :flowerforyou:
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I also use Plain Greek yogurt.... I just recently discovered that if I toss some fresh blueberries (or whatever fruit you like) in the Magic Bullet with just a tablespoon or so of water, and then stir into the yogurt, it makes the yogurt more like the ones with the added fruit. Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries have lower sugar than a lot of other fruit.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

I'm ok with a little bit of carbs. I just don't like that with my 10g of protein, I'm getting 17g of sugar! If you do fresh/frozen fruit, or the preserves, how much do you use?

I'm a stevia user too, so I might try that with a little frozen fruit mixed in.

FYI - the 0% plain Fage yogurt has 12g protein and 5g carbs (all milk sugars) for 1/2 a cup. Pretty darn good "base" to start with. Adding 3 medium strawberries, for example, would only add 3g of carbs, 2 of which are fruit sugars. Still way better than the yogurt that comes with added fruit & sugar in it! 25 blueberries adds about 5g carbs, 3 of which are fruit sugars.