is alcohol not an option anymore?

Options
My birthday is in 6 days!!! YES, I'm thinking of getting drinks with friends, but I know there is so much sugar in alcohol, what do I do?

I don't really like the taste of beer, i prefer vodka but hmmm is it worth it?
I'm starting to think I'm not gonna drink this year for my birthday bash if it compromises my progress, what are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    just dont over do it. one or two drinks is fine.... drink LOTS of water afterwards, it will help with the sugar!
  • zoezoe4
    zoezoe4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    its your birthday! and it only comes once a year! treat yourself and go for a drink. ask for diet mixer and light spirits. And if you still feel bad you can always do a bit of extra exercise during the week
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It's one day. It's once a year. One day is not going to compromise all your hard work.
  • louise2052
    Options
    The lowest calorie drinks I know are vodka and diet sprite or rum and diet coke. Just stick to a few drinks and you should be fine. Just be aware that food becomes more tempting when you've been drinking, so watch what you eat after the drinks!
  • achojnacki
    achojnacki Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself, work out a bit extra the day before. A wine and tapas bar can be nice and you can control your portions because plates are small, and with wine you can guess calories pretty accurately.

Vodka mixed with low cal or no cal mixers can be a great option, plain soda with lemon and lime is good, diet coke, half cranberry juice half soda and vodka can be good.

It's your birthday, if you go about it right you won't derail your diet.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Just do it in moderation. You don't have to give up alcohol because you are trying to lose weight. If you give everything up, you will feel deprived and only be that much more likely to give up on your weight loss efforts to eat and drink the foods you completely cut out. Moderation really is the key.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    No sugar in vodka. The problem comes when you mix it. Mix it will something diet or just take shots. SHOTS, SHOTS, SHOTS!
  • Lisa076
    Lisa076 Posts: 78
    Options
    Vodka & Sprite Zero is a tasty drink, also Vodka & Soda with a slice of lime those are my go to drinks...Hope you have a GREAT birthday :happy: have fun!
  • vinniesooner
    vinniesooner Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    No late night run for the border!
  • GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    just one shot. bday is a big day!
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of wine with dinner a couples times a week. Wine isn't too bad as long as the portion isn't out of control! Wine is about 20 calories per ounce. A diet coke and rum wouldn't be horrible either.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Gin and slim-line tonic : 57 Calories. Yum.
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Celebrate!! Happy Birthday! Enjoy your day!
  • mrsmontellano
    mrsmontellano Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I drink once a week, or once every other week, and as long as I compensate for it (with either increased exercise and/or fewer calories during the day), I do fine.
    I stick with rum & diet coke - it's only about 70 calories a drink! Which is NOTHING compared to the sugary/high carb drinks. And LOTS of water.
    It's your birthday and you deserve it!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Alcohol should still be an option on special occasions. Nothing should be forbidden (even cake and ice cream). It's all about portion control.

I agree with previous posters, get liquor and mix with diet soda (i.e. Vodka and Diet Sprite, Jack and Diet Coke)
  • LittleVikki
    LittleVikki Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    its only one day and it's your birthday go nuts :)
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    Personally, I haven't had a drink in years, I just don't really like the taste of it. However, to answer your question, it's okay to drink alcohol if you want to. And with vodka, you can always make every other drink the mixer on it's own. Unless you're going for straight shots that is but that could easily lead to you drinking way more than you want to.

There's nothing wrong with going over your daily calories now and then as long as you remember that it's not the end of the world if you do, just go back to eating healthily the next day.
  • FATGIRLFANTASY
    FATGIRLFANTASY Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    REALLY? No sugar in Vodka? your kidding me.. yesssss!!!
    Moderation! Got it.
    You're right! Its my birthday I'm gonna enjoy it.
    But not too much...
    & Working out REALLY hard the day before is an awesome idea.

Thanks guys, i was really worried about this.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My birthday is in 6 days!!! YES, I'm thinking of getting drinks with friends, but I know there is so much sugar in alcohol, what do I do?

I don't really like the taste of beer, i prefer vodka but hmmm is it worth it?
    I'm starting to think I'm not gonna drink this year for my birthday bash if it compromises my progress, what are your thoughts on this?

I don't know, I drink just about every day and I still lose weight as long as I exercise. But others on this site have said they can't lose and drink so maybe it varies. But I should say that I eat very little sugar. I gave it up almost entirely for over a year a while back when I was trying a macrobiotic diet and now I just don't enjoy more than a few bites of sweets. So maybe that's the difference.
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    i opt for shots or diet coke n rum mmm