juicing & calories

Options
I hope someone knows the answer to this.
Does the juice of an apple, or a carrot have the same calories as the whole fruit or vegetable?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Probably not.

I don't know why you'd juice it... just eat the fruit otherwise you're leaving out the nutrients etc.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat the whole thing?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I agree with eating the whole thing, though I sometimes will make some fresh juice to go with a meal or snack. However, 99% of the time, it's all the fruit for me. There is no magic in juicing when it comes to weight loss. :)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    You are certainly missing out on all of the good fiber. Track it as juice, not as the whole fruit.

It's one of the many reasons why juicing is not a great idea.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'd rather eat my calories than drink them. If I'm going to get the calories from the fruit juice, anyway, I'd rather have something in my stomach than just liquid.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My husband went through a juicing phase; what a joke! It destroys most of the fruit and what's left gives you a miniscule amount of juice. It is a total waste of money and produce!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I hope someone knows the answer to this.
    Does the juice of an apple, or a carrot have the same calories as the whole fruit or vegetable?

No, but most of them. The pulp is about 25 - 35% of the weight of the input and it's still sweet to the taste so some sugar goes that way too.
  • debbiesmallVEGAN
    debbiesmallVEGAN Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Juicing just takes out all the fiber and makes the fruit a lot less filling. When I tried to replace whole fruit with juice, even when I was eating the same calories I was a lot hungier. Fiber helps keep you full. And the act of chewing slows down your calorie intake.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why not just eat the whole thing?
    I may not eat the seeds in the apple. . . .then again. . . .OP fiber and loss of pulp would be the factors to take in to consideration.
  • iwearthejumper32
    iwearthejumper32 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Basically you get concentrated fruit in the form sugar and calories (also in vitamins and minerals) but the juice of course is lacking in any fiber. Fiber slows your insulin response to the sugar and in turn hormones that stimulate hunger. It's best to eat the whole fruit... But green juice that includes things like celery, beetroot, ginger, kale, spinach, collards, and lemon... It's harder to eat these things whole and in larger quantity (in my experience) so juicing them is great. Keeping it balanced with a fiber rich diet will keep your digestive system and blood sugar off the potential roller coaster that can be a side effect of juice. Especially if you're limiting calories and feeling hungry in general. If I haven't eaten... A giant carrot orange has me cracked out worse than any iced coffee :) Not sure if I helped... But I've typed this all out and I have to commit...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the juicer and buy a blender instead, like a nutri ninja etc etc. That way aren't throwing away the most nutritious parts of the fruit, and it will certainly help you stay full for longer.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the juicer and buy a blender instead, like a nutri ninja etc etc. That way aren't throwing away the most nutritious parts of the fruit, and it will certainly help you stay full for longer.
    That's better than juicing, but you're still not chewing. Chewing helps slow calorie intake and the simple act of chewing can help alleviate hunger.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie every single day for lunch. I pack it full of different stuff. It ends up being so thick I have to eat it with a spoon.