I'm 5'3 and 210 lbs need tips and motivation

Options
lilmomie09
lilmomie09 Posts: 6 Member
edited August 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi I'm 5'3, and 210lbs, my goal weight is to become 135lbs. I don't know where to begin I have no motivation at all and I don't excerise, I'm looking to get tips from anyone and support ☺

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP! Our stats are very similar. I'm also 5'3". I started my "journey" at 205 lbs. My goal is also 135 lbs. I exercise sporadically at best and I've lost almost 40 lbs.

Unfortunately, I can't do much for you in the way of motivation. That has to come from you. But frankly, I think it's over-rated. Motivation waxes and wanes. Even people who have made it to goal and are successfully maintaining feel their motivation flag from time to time. What gets you through then is determination. Sometimes you just have to hold on and white-knuckle it for a while.

Have you started logging your food? That's very important, logging faithfully and being 100% honest with it, no matter how ugly it gets, LOL. Weigh your food on a digital foods scale. Measure liquids in measuring cups. It can seem daunting at first, but soon it will be second nature. I find it helpful to pre-plan my day. Every morning I figure out what I want to eat that day--all my meals and snacks--and put it right into my food diary. Then I just eat what I logged.

Get started! What do you have to lose, besides extra weight? Good luck!
  • lilmomie09
    Options
    Thank you for the tips, and I will start logging my meals and see where it goes from there :)
  • 50andfabu
    50andfabu Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I also find reading the threads and participating helps.
    Also, accept that it will take some time. Believe in the numbers! (ie count all of your calories - weigh, measure and track!)
  • lilmomie09
    Options
    Thank you so much I will definitely start tracking things
  • jamescatala
    jamescatala Posts: 5 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Just don't get overwhelmed. Start off slow just by counting calories. Once you see the scale moving in your favor you will find the motivation to add a little exercise. Then you will wonder why you didn't do this for yourself earlier. Good luck and have fun.
  • Samakiyah
    Samakiyah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi nice to meet u. I started my weight loss journey at 219 and I'm now 206. I'm 5 ft 4", but my goal weight is only to be 160-170. U have to dedicate urself. Workout HARD....fight for it. Never give up. Eat clean and stay on track
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2, started at 224 lbs. down 66 at this point, with a goal of 137.

Weigh all your food, measure liquids only
    Take baby steps- work on improving one thing at a time so you don't get frustrated/overwhelmed
    Realize there is no magic to losing weight. Eat at a deficit and the losses will happen.
    Don't give up after a bad day or bad week, jump back at it and keep going.

Above all, be patient, the weight will come off, just not overnight.

Good luck!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Just start right now! You'll be so glad you did! Take each day as it comes. Weigh as log your food and stay in your calorie range and you'll be successful!

I'm 5'3" and started at 210 and I'm 135 now. Hopefully that helps motivate you, but you do have to find the will within yourself.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" started at 248, now 146.4. Great advice given so far - weigh all solid food, measure liquids. Preplan in the diary - I do it for the day, some people do days or a week at a time. Drink lots of water. Make small changes you can live with for the long run. Don't try to be perfect. And as crazy as they can get, read the forums. There are lots of educated and friendly people here with great information, links and help. I think me learning the whys of what I'm supposed to do have made this a success.
  • Jmgkamp
    Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    5'2" started in March at 219. Weighed 159.9 as of the morning. Started by logging my food. Bought a scale within 2 weeks (best present you can buy yourself). Added exercise after 15 pounds (first month).

You got this!!!

Forums are your friend. We all support each other. Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    First you REALLY have to commit to it. Then start with small steps. And even if that means just walking. As you progress, you add more physically challenging things to your regimen that you enjoy. It always takes time to do this though and don't have expectations that in a few months, your goal will be reached. It may take a year or more. But CONSISTENCY will help to keep you on the path.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Emglyfolk
    Emglyfolk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good advice here. I find most important is to log ALL food "no matter how ugly" as another blogger put it. I also use the Notes box to make changes.... Like 'eat more fruit', 'make better choices' ... "stop with the chocolate". Take it slow, I've lost 27 in 2 years - been busy years - but thats OK - I could have easily gained that weight!!! You can do this!!!
  • SLWright2345
    SLWright2345 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have found that tracking things has helped so much. I used to have a lot of calorific drinks which I didn't even realise we're that bad. Tracking everything has made me realise where I was going so wrong all the time.
  • candiceajay
    candiceajay Posts: 5 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'4" started at 216 lbs, currently at 183 lbs, with a goal of 130lbs, so very similar to you. I've lost 33 lbs so far since I started. I have a desk job and haven't stepped foot in the gym. My success is directly related to MFP. As others have said, weigh foods on the scale, log everything even binge days where you go way over, log it so you know, and move on, you'll do better the next day. The basic math behind things really helped me, Just realizing that 3500 calories made up 1 lbs, so a 500 calorie reduction per day was necessary to lose 1 lbs a week. Realizing there are 3 teaspoons to 1 Tablespoon, so when measuring things out I can quickly indentify portions. Discovering that if I go over my calories 1 day it's really not a big deal. Those 300 calories, are less than 1/8 of a lbs. So I shouldn't let myself feel too guilty or like I failed. Also not labeling foods as "bad" If I want chips, and I can fit them into my calories for the day, then I will have some. but some isn't a whole bag, a portion size is 50 grams, or a small bowl. As the saying goes everything in moderation. The # 1 biggest part of my success is eating out less. Before 70% of my meals were restaurant/fast food, now I prepare most of my own food and maybe only 10% of my meals are takeout. Knowing what you are eating rather than guessing the calorie content makes a big difference! Another motivator is people commenting on my weight loss, they can tell and are asking about my success, that just fuels my motiviation to continue, and of course cleaning out the cloest and donating clothes that don't fit anymore and shopping for new smaller ones. completely gratifying! Good luck.
  • AlexanderHeyne
    AlexanderHeyne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Lilmomie,

I would recommend starting with something I call the "golden trifecta" - I posted the idea below from an article I wrote:

In February, I spoke with a friend who told me he was so overwhelmed wondering what health changes he should make.

He was so overwhelmed with all the stuff he could do, that he did what most of us do when we get confused and overwhelmed – nothing.

(I actually later found on he took some diet pills… so after I pimp slapped him, we had a heart to heart about where to begin).

Despite the overwhelm, there are three habits in three different categories I think everyone should cultivate – and if you just spend a few minutes each day on these, I guarantee you’ll see amazing results.

Introducing The 3 Daily Habits of “The Golden Trifecta”

A Look At The “Golden Trifecta” In Action – Easy Results Even If You’re Overwhelmed

Consider the following: When researchers typically want to figure out what’s most effective for diabetes or weight loss, they’ve often found a few common trends.

- Changing nutrition (DuH!!!!) – For example, check out the article here on reversing diabetes naturally. The researchers found that changing nutrition alone dramatically prevented and potentially reversed diabetes.

- Exercise (DUH!!!) – For example, check out my video on the 5 psychological habits of people that successfully maintain weight loss. Exercise is present in 90% of the maintainers.

- Some kind of accountability – Another video I shot on “actually achieving new year’s goals” found that just by reminding people with a five minute call every two weeks it DRAMATICALLY boosted their ability to be successful at achieving goals.

These three principles I call the “golden trifecta” because I guarantee that if you pick one tiny habit in every one of these, you’ll see dramatic changes in your health and your body.

They aren’t magical at all, but they produce a 1 + 1 = 3 synergistic effect.

In other words, even if you pick a TINY habit in each one of these spheres, the very act of combining all three results in something incredible.

So If You’re Ridiculously Overwhelmed… Here Are 3 Proven Habits (That Get You Results)

the golden trifecta - what to do when you don't know what to do to lose weight

Here’s a super simple golden trifecta:

Nutritional habit – have 30g protein with each meal.

Why protein?

It helps stabilize your blood sugar, keeps cravings at bay, and even if you’re eating out you can find a way to eat 30g of protein.

If you go out to a place for lunch, they can add extra chicken for you.

Or you can get fish (like salmon) that’s already insanely high in protein and good fats. In other words, it’s easy to do pretty much no matter where you eat.

Exercise habit – walk 10 minutes per day.

First… walking is awesome because anyone can do it, unless you’re in a wheelchair.

Second, anyone can do it anywhere.

And anyone can do it pretty much any time of the day, whether you’re in a big city or on a tropical beach.

It’s also easy. It doesn’t psychologically feel like you’re going to do a grueling p90x workout. It’s so much easier than that so it’s much harder to talk yourself out of.

“I’m just going for a brisk walk.”

Accountability habit – do a nightly 60 second review.

What did you do today to get one step closer to the health and the body you want? Write down what you did today.

Just by doing that, you are going to force yourself to think about what you actually did.

And subconsciously, you are going to prime yourself with a “health consciousness” – where you’ll make more smart health choices without ever thinking about it.

That’s the magical “homer simpson effect.” Once you subconsciously become more aware of health, you find yourself showing up at the coffee shop and magically avoiding the muffin without realizing why or how.

It’ll also remind you of any mistakes you made, e.g. if you didn’t take your walk because you were too tired in the morning.

It also might remind you that the morning is a terrible (or a great) time to do whatever habit you set for yourself.

All three of these habits produce almost miraculous results when they’re done consistently, and they’re easy.

Your Tiny Habit For Today

So if you’re looking for something to really kickstart your health and weight loss, either follow this golden trifecta or come up with one of your own.

– Alex
  • Pinesgurl
    Pinesgurl Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" started at 216 lbs, currently at 183 lbs, with a goal of 130lbs, so very similar to you. I've lost 33 lbs so far since I started. I have a desk job and haven't stepped foot in the gym. My success is directly related to MFP. As others have said, weigh foods on the scale, log everything even binge days where you go way over, log it so you know, and move on, you'll do better the next day. The basic math behind things really helped me, Just realizing that 3500 calories made up 1 lbs, so a 500 calorie reduction per day was necessary to lose 1 lbs a week. Realizing there are 3 teaspoons to 1 Tablespoon, so when measuring things out I can quickly indentify portions. Discovering that if I go over my calories 1 day it's really not a big deal. Those 300 calories, are less than 1/8 of a lbs. So I shouldn't let myself feel too guilty or like I failed. Also not labeling foods as "bad" If I want chips, and I can fit them into my calories for the day, then I will have some. but some isn't a whole bag, a portion size is 50 grams, or a small bowl. As the saying goes everything in moderation. The # 1 biggest part of my success is eating out less. Before 70% of my meals were restaurant/fast food, now I prepare most of my own food and maybe only 10% of my meals are takeout. Knowing what you are eating rather than guessing the calorie content makes a big difference! Another motivator is people commenting on my weight loss, they can tell and are asking about my success, that just fuels my motiviation to continue, and of course cleaning out the cloest and donating clothes that don't fit anymore and shopping for new smaller ones. completely gratifying! Good luck.

Can we be friends? I'm at 297.9 ,lost 9.1 lbs. I count calories and just bought a scale
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    walk, walk, walk then walk some more.
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My advice (on top of everything else mentioned...you have had some excellent comments! ) is to be kind to yourself. Use kind words, be forgiving of mistakes and missteps, and make small changes at a time that work towards a goal of a happy healthy life. You've got this! It won't happen in a day or week, you may stumble but keep working on it! :)
  • lilmomie09
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the advice and tips I will be trying things out