Gluten free!

Options
Day 2 of being gluten free! Looking for friends who are gf and eat around 1200 cals for weight loss ☺️

For those of you who do gf, what are some benefits you have personally noticed?? TIA

Replies

• mikestobbs1
    mikestobbs1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I've done gluten free in the past. My honest opinion is that unless you have a medical condition there's no real need. But to each their own. Good luck with your journey.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Good on you, I hope you feel better soon xx
  • LCroissant
    LCroissant Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Day 2 of being gluten free! Looking for friends who are gf and eat around 1200 cals for weight loss ☺️

For those of you who do gf, what are some benefits you have personally noticed?? TIA

Also at a 1200 calorie limit and started gluten and lactose free yesterday to see whether it'll make a difference. If I can't tell a difference after a few months, I'll stop.

Last night I had pad Thai with rice noodles ;)

Just sent you an invite btw
  • Daxamites
    Daxamites Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've done gluten free in the past. My honest opinion is that unless you have a medical condition there's no real need. But to each their own. Good luck with your journey.

Truth. Especially when it comes to packaged Gluten free foods. Most often you're better off eating the non Gluten version.

Anyway. Feel free to add me. I don't eat Wheat or Dairy due to medical reasons but if it's what you want to try out then I am more than willing to help!
  • mrsroddy1228
    mrsroddy1228 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! Just added you
  • mrsroddy1228
    Options
    LCroissant wrote: »

Also at a 1200 calorie limit and started gluten and lactose free yesterday to see whether it'll make a difference. If I can't tell a difference after a few months, I'll stop.

Last night I had pad Thai with rice noodles ;)

Just sent you an invite btw

Thanks!! Just added you
  • MishellePowell
    MishellePowell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your original post literally describes me, lol. I have been gluten free for just over a year with limited milk products. Any of you feel free to add me!
  • waterbaby44
    waterbaby44 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Gluten and lactose intolerance for 3 years now. There are a lot more gluten free foods on the market now however Not healthy. I'm trying to start back to my fitness pal again. The nutritional facts is such a help in showing us just what we are consuming. Add me if you need help understanding about gluten, lactose or just need that support.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options

Benefits: More energy, no headaches/migraines, no more dizzyspells and waking up so nauseated that I struggle to get out of the bed. No bloating, or having to plan my day around where the nearest bathroom is, my skin has improved and so has my mood. I am so much more happy these days, even friends comments, and the brain fog is no longer playing total havoc with me. Going GF has literally changed my life.

• grlry
    grlry Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Hey! I'm on day 4 of no gluten, no refined sugar, no dairy...NO ALCOHOL!
    And I'm trying to stay within 1200 calories.
    It's a lot...I'm trying to make myself stick with it, I really just don't like thinking about food this much! But, I guess its stopping me from mindless eating, if nothing else!
  • tjames30
    tjames30 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Been thinking about going Gluten free for a while now. I've been doing some research on it, I have a health condition that could be improved if I can stick with it. Today is the first day that I have really not eaten anything with Gluten. Any tips, tricks or ideas?
  • mrsroddy1228
    Options
    I would suggest reading wheat belly! Lots of eye opening info! It gets easier the longer you do it. Once you get wheat out of your system, you don't really miss it :)
  • spotjumping1
    spotjumping1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

• spotjumping1
    spotjumping1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am trying to be mostly gluten free. I do not have Celiac disease but having been gluten & dairy free and free of preservatives in the past made all the difference to my well being. Less pain & inflammation, improved mood and no carb addiction.
  • LavenderPinkOrange
    Options
    I'm also trying gluten free and lactose free :) 6 days so far
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Some years ago I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis with IBS.....while the was no Cealiac disease present my gastro. Dr. suggested that going gluten free would be worth a try to see if the digestive problems would be alleviated with such a change. There is no evidence that going gluten free will help and the medical profession is divided over the removal of gluten too....but by this time I was desperately ill and nothing else was helping so, for me, this change was worth making.

It has been such a revelatory change....over time the pain, bleeding, bloating, etc etc have all but disappeared. Polyps that had to be removed regularly have diminished but I don't know whether that has been as a result of gluten free.

Making this change to your diet should never be taken lightly as it requires constant vigilance and an understanding that without specific testing and/or instructions by a qualified Doctor you may be imposing a unnecessarily restrictive way of eating upon yourself.

Totally agree with others who have said to avoid mass produced gluten free products.....personally I don't find them appealing nor worth the calorie cost but that's just me, baking gluten free is now easier than it was when I first started and we enjoy a wide variety of foods.

All the best.
  • txcraftr
    txcraftr Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I eat gluten free. It makes a huge difference in how I feel. I gain lots of water weight when eating gluten. I also never feel full and crave bread etc when I am eating gluten. I don't feel bloated all the time any more. I am having an easier time losing weight too.
  • MccKate
    MccKate Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued to learn more about people doing gluten free since someone quoted that it was good to reduce headaches etc. I have a susceptablility to headaches which will often lead to migraines. I have previously used My Fitness Pal for Atkins but at the moment am just trying to find my feet and work out just what I'm eating. How are those of you trying gluten free doing?
  • SMK683
    SMK683 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Gluten free for a month & 1/2. Decided to try it since I have quite a few of the symptoms and my niece has a severe case of it.

First week, my restless leg syndrome stopped! I am not craving food all the time, appetite is now normal and I am losing weight slowly each week. Hip pain has also stopped.

A lack of iron can cause restless leg syndrome. My iron levels were normal, but if my body couldn't absorb it (celiac), that may have been the culprit.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I used to get woken up by a sore knee throbbing at 3 am many nights of the month. I decided to cut out gluten and haven't had that pain again. When I decided to eat gluten again during a yummy holiday weekend a year and a half ago, my knees got sore within two days and it was hard for me to get up. No gluten for 3 years except for very special occasions!