The thin get thinner and the chubbies get ignored...

Options
So I went shopping for a sports bra a few days ago & came home empty-handed and thoroughly frustrated!

First I went to a BIG sports store where I wandered around the clothing section for probably 10 minutes without getting asked if I wanted help. I found 1 bra that I thought might fit and had to sneak into an empty change-room as someone else was leaving cuz no one offered to get me a room. The bra was way too tight and that was the largest size I could find so I gave up on that. Then I went to the shoe section where I looked intently at the shoes for at least 5 minutes before leaving without trying anything on cuz again no one offered to help me.

Second stop, lululemon. Shoulda known how that one would pan out but I'd heard their 'ta-ta tamer' bras are good. Pawed through every bra on the rack for at least 5 minutes without so much as a glance from the staff so I grabbed the largest one I could find and went to the change-room. It was like wrestling a boa constrictor to get into the thing, but at least the guy working in the change-room asked how I was doing and checked for a larger size when requested.

Thought I would check The Bay as they have a large lingerie section as well as a decent plus-size section in the store, but again the biggest bra there was still too small for me.

So I'm cranky for 2 reasons...

First, it pisses me off that the people who need to get in shape the most can't appropriate clothes to do it in! I have one more store I can check but other than that, everywhere else stops at about a 36-38 D. Now this is not the first time I've tried shopping for a sports bra. Last time I put myself through this was a couple of years ago and I had to settle for a stretchy thing that I have to wear a regular bra underneath and it still doesn't do the job.

What are women with an ample rack supposed to do? Give ourselves black eyes while we exercise? Or accept that we're fat so why not let our boobs sag too cuz what difference does it make? I have enough saggy skin everywhere else, the last thing I want to do is bounce around unsupported and make my best attribute even saggier!

Oh, yes I can order bras off the internet but come on, how successful is that going to be? As a rule when I shop for bras I try on a dozen to find one that fits me well and gives decent support - that's going to get expensive and very friggin' inconvenient ordering a dozen bras and hoping for one to fit, then having to ship the rest back.

And we're not even going to talk about the fact that if/when I do find a decent bra I'll have to pay double-triple what the skinny girls do!

And secondly, I know I've lost a few pounds but I'm not some little wisp of a thing that the store staff couldn't find hiding behind a pole! I waited around for help and got completely ignored! Now the sports store was really big and it was kinda busy so I guess I'll forgive them (grudgingly), but lululemon was about the size of my garage and had at least 3 people working in it. I know there where other customers in there too, but really, five minutes standing at one rack smack in the middle of the store and no one could offer me a hand - WTF? News flash - fat people might want to buy sports wear too!!! And we probably need the help more than the skinny folks in there cuz obviously we're new at it!!!

Thanks for listening to my rant. I needed to get that off my chest (so to speak) cuz I'm off again this afternoon to Addition-Elle where at least I know the bras will fit and I know I won't get ignored. I just have to hope they actually carry sports bras.

If this fails, maybe I'll just go redneck and duct tape the girls down.

Replies

• TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Shock Absorber has some models which come in larger sizes - you might have some luck there! :smile:
  • rhirvo
    rhirvo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Try your local running store. I am a 36dd and have the tata tamer and love it but i know for those larger it is always an issue. The running stores have a lot of sizes and varieties and they are always reallly nice.
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    :explode:

If they don't carry sports bras where you are checking next have you tried 'double bra-ing' it? No underwires, otherwise this wont work.

Also a good sturdy bra underneath a sports top with a built in support mesh could work.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You have to specialty shop. My mom has been a double G or H all my life and had to get specialty bras from a woman who worked out of her home. Same with sports bras. Try amazon.com. Get a PROPER fitting at Lane Bryant or Catherine's for a bra and then order a sports bra from amazon.com - I've heard they have nice ones!
  • DebraBuschman
    DebraBuschman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Duct tape will fix anything! You're entirely correct.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    "but at least the guy working in the change-room asked how I was doing and checked for a larger size when requested. "

Whoa!

Wait a minute a dude was working in the bra changing room?

He's got to be the luckiest man alive!!
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I use to be a big chested big girl. December 2010, I had a breast reduction, but now the challenge is finding my band size in a C cup. And yes, you are right, most people are reluctant to help you. If you resort to internet ordering, Goddess makes very good sports bras for big girls. And I believe I would order them from biggirlbras.com. Hope this helps.
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    Absolutely LOVE your comments! Can't really give suggestions on the sports-bra buying adventure, 'cause I've never bought one - I pretty much avoid running/jumping at any cost for fear of putting out an eye! Ha ha!:huh:
  • Ambria0516
    Ambria0516 Posts: 62
    Options
    I love this and totally agree. I had the HARDEST time finding a sports bra that I almost just gave up.....I finally found 3 that fit and do the trick I just hope they last awhile ;)

I feel your pain and frustration. I just know that regardless of what society thinks I am going to get in shape and I hope that designers realize there is a market for us "big girls and guys".
  • jenniefromtherock
    jenniefromtherock Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Why not try Addition-Elle or Pennington's. I bought a couple sports bras there, and they are pretty good. Plus they did have a sale this week at Pennington's, bras for $30. Not sure if its still on. Good luck!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11 and have issues when it comes to all clothes to buy. People think that petite means skinny too....
  • lecia125
    lecia125 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You are killing me! LMAO!

I agree, people should be more considerate.
  • s_dhar
    s_dhar Posts: 2
    Options
    Well written post...the lines brought some smiles but not laughing at you!
    Thatz unfortunate. My only guess is maybe they were hesitant to ask if you need help in the lingerie section and were trying to give you the space? I've been in a similar situation before - not that I wasn't able to find my size but I just wanted help and no one would offer it!!! So I've just walked up to someone working there that and told I need help...and then watch them scramble to find someone who can actually help me!!!! So next time, just ask if they won't offer - maybe they'll notice you then and do all they can to please you :) Hope it helps! Goodluck.
  • coderster
    coderster Posts: 3
    Options
    Here's something: Most stores don't carry over 38 in store. You've got to do your shopping online for that. I went into a Victoria's Secret to get properly measured and they told me there's nothing they can do for me, since I'm a 40 C. I went to 10 other stores and found that NO ONE carries that large of size for whatever reason. So, online bra shopping it is for us nicely endowed ladies.

Also, you should have spoke up at any of the stores. A salespersons isn't going to help you if you look like you know what you're going for. (ie, going through a rack for five minutes) Another thing: They'd have ignored the skinny one too.
  • rlelliott08
    rlelliott08 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I know it getts very frustrating going into a department store, and because you are heavy they think oh she can help herself. My mother is really big uptop and she has a lot of luck out of Lane Bryant (www.lanebryant.com) they also have a store locator on there website. I hope this helps, you should check it out.
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with 100% of your rant!! My husband gets tired of me saying exactly the same thing each time I go shopping for workout gear. I usually do the bulk of my shopping for regular clothes at Lane Bryant but their exercise clothes just won't cut it. They are more for lounge on your couch type exercising. I want something that will hide the fact I sweat just walking in the gym and will keep me covered as I do the crazy workouts my trainer makes me do...all without giving up a year's salary to do it.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Ok not to be sassy here........... BUT.......... Did you ever think to ASK for help?

I am simply stating that this may have been an isolated instance.............. I have been ignored while shopping too. While frustrating- I dont think it can be assumed that it has anything to do with YOU. Maybe the clerk was having a bad day or preoccupied. Excuses are like a**holes...... everyone has one and they all stink.... Just make sure your not hindering your decision to make a lifestyle change because of this.

That being said..... I can appreciate what your saying in some areas. I am a size 4 with a 34 inseam- Yep thats right! Try to find that at the local mall! AND to make matters worse- I am a 34D which is less than common as well.

I would try shoes.com for the shoe situation- they have free shipping and returns. And for the bra- I would order online because most places do offer free return shipping now days if you didnt like it. Or look one up online and try to find a local store that carries that type and maybe they can order your size?
  • langd0880
    langd0880 Posts: 1
    Options
    Find a place that carries Moving Comfort sports bras. www.moving comfort.com These have been the best bras I have ever used. I have also heard a lot of favorable review from other friends that have used them. Very supportive and a wide variety of styles so you can find one that works best for you. Wide range of sizes too.
    Sorry that you've had a tough time finding what you need and it is too bad that people at these stores didn't feel like it was their JOB to help you.
    Stay focused
    Dani
  • nikkirosem
    nikkirosem Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. My thin friend has the same problem though because she is big busted, but what do you do. I think the duct tape out chaff but not 100% sure :wink:

I have to go to places like Wal Mart and Target and search. I also double up my bras for extra support.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    GOOD Rant! But now, get over it and GO Get what YOU NEED! Find a store, walk in or Internet. I was a BIG Woman, and not a light weight now...I have a "clue" about My sizes and I do not go here I know they will not fit Me, even those that carry plus sizes. Every plus size is NOT equal as with non-plus sizes. Athletic wear is analogous to the gym, the people who need it most don't/won't go and the people who appear to not need it got that way because they will go. Why would stores who are always cramped for space carry a LOT of merchandise that most of the people who it is meant for won't buy it!

Relative to the store staff, a lot of places have a "hands off" policy...which I like, I HATE a hard sell. They will allow you to get what you want and wait for YOU to ask them if you need help. Get over the "Us vs. Them," seeing a mean "skinny" person or slap in the face when you feel you have been "slighted."