Mindful Eating

Options
Is anyone else out there practicing mindful eating? I'm hoping to lose weight by eating with awareness, savouring each mouthful, taking care where my food comes from and noticing any cravings or need to comfort eat in a non-judgemental way. If you're interested then how about sharing some mutual support?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm mindful that it all comes down to CICO.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Mindful eating sounds better than mindless eating sat in front of the TV, for sure.

Mindful eating may help reduce CI if all you have is a hammer.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I have issues with emotional and binge eating. Eating mindfully helps me eat within my calorie deficit and combat my emotionally eating. Recognising cravings, riding them out, savouring my food, eating to the point of satiety rather than uncomfortably stuffe.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I'm mindful that it all comes down to CICO.

This use of the word mindful is not the same as the way its used by the op. YOu use it as meaning that you are aware of something external to you. The OP uses it to mean awareness of her experience in the present moment.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Mindful eating sounds better than mindless eating sat in front of the TV, for sure.

what is CI?

• Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am also trying this.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »

what is CI?

the food input side of Calories In Calories Out

or Calories out = Calories in + Weight loss

or however you want to arrange it.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I practice "mindful eating", but CICO requires that you measure (as in evaluate with careful thought) every calorie, which means when you're eating your allowed 28 grams of potato chips, you savor each and every one, rather than simply reaching into the bag for another handful.

I couldn't eat tofu and convince myself it's Chubby Hubby ice cream by pretending to like the experience more, but it is important to take the time to enjoy the indulgences you do allow yourself.
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Mindful/intuitive eating is great in that once you've mastered it, you'll no longer need to worry about CICO anymore - your mind and body will take care of that for you, you'll be able to listen to your signals and know what/how much your body needs and when to stop (perhaps controversial on a site dedicated to CICO...) but until you've reached that point, good luck!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Logging makes me have to think about the food I am eating before I eat it, and staying under a calorie goal inspires me to make better choices. And since the portions are very finite I take a little more time to enjoy the experience of eating them. I think anyone who is really doing CICO properly is being mindful.
  • Mindfullyjo
    Mindfullyjo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There are some great comments here regarding mindful eating. Certainly better than 'mindless' eating, and I find MFP a great tool for keeping awareness of what I eat. Awareness is key to mindfulness. By being alive in the 'here and now' while we're eating, enjoying each mouthful and not letting our minds race about on other things, we can kick the addiction of 'comfort eating' and feel full with less food in the belly!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I practice mindful eating now, but thats after 3 yrs of logging my foods accurately on here.
    I will always watch my portion sizes and make better food choices now because of what I've learned through this app.

I would encourage you to log your foods so you get to know portion sizes/calories/macros and how much you are actually eating before you try being mindful. Its the knowledge that I gained from knowing how many calories were in what I was eating makes not logging now come easy and I have been maintaining my goal weight range for a few years now.
  • AuntieAnon
    AuntieAnon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've started mindful eating as well! I really enjoy the preparation: clearing the table and then setting it prettily, with a cute tablecloth and all. Some instrumental jazz playing in the background, good food and all the time to enjoy it, my cat sitting across the table (she's always hoping for scraps and is a great conversationalist)... Breakfast, lunch and dinner are small moments of bliss to me now. Perhaps I over-do the planning and preparation at times, but it's not like I have anything better to do at the moment in my life. :sunglasses:
  • Bowsergirl
    Bowsergirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Mindful eating has worked for me to maintain my weight, but I really need the logging for weight loss.
    Mindfulness is a big part of my sobriety though, and I think those practices are very helpful for healthy eating.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I do. I used to overeat midlessly and was almost always ashamed of myself because of that. MFP and weighing everything taught me awareness of appropriate portion sizes for my needs, and what I want to spend my calories on. I have a varied diet of fresh and nutritious food, but eat only things I like. Now I'm off calorie counting, but I still record what I eat, wait until I'm hungry before I eat, which is not at all unpleasant, it makes me apprecite food more, and I use the hunger scale to assess satiety after every meal. I enjoy meal planning, food shopping, cooking, and eating.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I do practice mindful eating. It's not only allowed me to really get a handle on how I deal with food, but specifically it's slowed my eating speed, so I'm eating less overall. I changed just a couple of things about our eating lifestyle and it was easy to do!
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    So is there a difference between mindful eating and intuitive eating, or is it the same thing?

'Listening to my body' (what I would call intuitive eating) is exactly how I ended up needing to lose weight as my body was telling me that yes, I did need to eat an entire share-size bar of chocolate to myself a night. As others have said, I imagine it is easier once you have spent a while logging your food and are more aware of calories content and portion control.

So is 'mindful eating' more of a meditation kinda thing, being appreciative of every bite, eating slower to saviour every bite, etc?
  • Mindfullyjo
    Mindfullyjo Posts: 40 Member
    Options

So is 'mindful eating' more of a meditation kinda thing, being appreciative of every bite, eating slower to saviour every bite, etc?

That's exactly it. And it's about being kind to ourselves, so that means eating food that does us good, looking after our bodies and making life a bit easier for ourselves. I think that's what we're all trying to do.
    I don't think I'd be losing weight on mindfulness alone! I'm using myfitnesspal to keep track of my calories, exercise and to lose a bit of weight. I love the supportive community here too. I don't see mindfulness as a new way to slim and I don't find it stops me eating cake, but I do find I'm less likely to take a second helping!
  • Nance_61
    Nance_61 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am trying to be more mindful in general - whether it's with respect to documenting what I eat, or NOT listening to the little voice that says ... oh just this once .. it won't hurt you ... come on.... (I pretend the voice is Alan Rickman - doesn't always help). I am prone to using food as a soother (gold medalist in emotional eating, runner up for overeating when tired). I am also very busy between my 150k daily commute, work, home etc. and when I'm in a rush, then I can fall into mindless eating. I am trying to savour, slow down, and listen to my body - full? not full? glass of water? pinch on the wrist to refocus? get up and do something till the feeling goes away? lazy? tired? pissed off? So, yes I think that mindful eating, in combination with documenting truthfully what goes into ones gob is absolutely key to long lasting success... signing off from the Colonies!
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Nance_61 wrote: »
    I pretend the voice is Alan Rickman - doesn't always help

I can see that working most of the time...

Metatron-Alan-Rickman-Scenes-dogma-14012386-672-304.jpg