I'm afraid of the scale :O

Options
I know I'm making progress, I feel healthier, my clothes are fitting a little lose, already....
But, when do i weigh myself?! I'm the type of person who could go one of two ways, either i'll get scale-syndrome and hop on and off the scale too often & go crazy with the fluctuation of my body naturally gaining and losing lbs & oz every so often. OR I'll rarely get on it and be in the dark about how far I've really come.

I have a goal of losing 30lbs by the end of August.

So far thats 10lbs a month right?

So i've broken it down like this:

At the end of each month including August I'm going to weigh myself to see how i stand. I weighed myself at the end of May like the 27th or so.

Next weigh in is at the end of this month of June. I know i have a plan but some how its killing me, I need patience but I really want to see where I am.

Someone tell me, do you think this is wise for me to continue to weight until the end of each month comes or should I add in a mid-month weigh in as well?

Replies

• jvujevich78
    Options
    Honestly I weigh myself every morning, right after I pee. I do it naked that way I know exactly what I am. It keeps me honest and on top of my day. You will definitely fluctuate. But after a while you figure out how much you fluctuate. I fluctuate about .6 ounces. At night I am usually 1-2 lbs heavier.

Don't be afraid of the scale. Think of it as a very honest friend. It will either tell you that you are doing great, or that you over ate a bit and get back on track. ;)

Good luck!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think twice a month would be better, so you can track if you are doing it right.
  • wendix
    wendix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    recommended is once a week. it's a better indicator than every day (although i weigh myself usually every 1-2 days despite the fluctuation i'm just too impatient haha)
  • candacecollins
    Options
    That is exactly what i do, and thats also how i think about it!! I does keep me honest, and it motivates me to keep it up! my flucuation is about the same.
    Hope this helps girl!
  • candacecollins
    Options
    Honestly I weigh myself every morning, right after I pee. I do it naked that way I know exactly what I am. It keeps me honest and on top of my day. You will definitely fluctuate. But after a while you figure out how much you fluctuate. I fluctuate about .6 ounces. At night I am usually 1-2 lbs heavier.

Don't be afraid of the scale. Think of it as a very honest friend. It will either tell you that you are doing great, or that you over ate a bit and get back on track. ;)

Good luck!

That is exactly what i do, and thats also how i think about it!! I does keep me honest, and it motivates me to keep it up! my flucuation is about the same.
    Hope this helps girl!
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, but its going to drive me to drink!!! Weight fluctuates too much on a daily basis for it to be a good gauge. Many people and most experts say that once a week is sufficient. This should work for you so that you dont have any surprises at the end of the month. You'll be able to watch your progress a little more closely then!

Best of luck to you=)
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I also weigh myself every day. I had dropped that to twice a week but found that I ended up feeling far more lax about cheating on my diet (I can work that off by the time I weigh in next etc.) so to keep me on the straight and narrow I prefer to check every morning. I couldn't stand waiting a month for sure! I found that not weighing myself was the way I got fat in the first place because I refused to weigh myself and guessed (about two stone under by the way!). I also find it much easier to motivate myself when I weigh every day because every bit of weight loss brightens up my day. I would add that I have learnt to ignore minor fluctuations (+/- 1lb) each day whereas if I get on the scales after a week of no weighing and have put on half a lb, I get stroppy! Each to their own obviously but just thought I'd chuck my two pennoth in...
  • JenniferSmith83
    Options

Good luck!

Ditto :)
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I debated this issue as well. My initial intention was once a week. But I just couldn't wait that long cause I would wonder if I had lost anything. So then I started weighing myself on random days and at random times. Of course I saw some big swings and would sort of lose motivation when I would be up, sometimes several pounds, even though I had been doing things "right".

Now I have decided to weigh myself once a day right after I get up and go to the bathroom. This way it is at least the same time everyday. Not after the gym or after I have had stuff to eat and drink, etc. I've accepted I will see some variation from day to day both up and down.

But my hope is to see the gradual downward trend. Weighing once a day at the same time keeps me from just hopping on at random times and getting even greater swings. I even bought a fancy scale that is wifi enabled and uploads the data so it is real easy to track over time.

I think over time you will find out what frequency works best for you to be able to monitor your progress.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself daily. I don't always record it because it flucuates +/- like 3 pounds. I just do it because then I will know what my actual weight is with the flucuations, if that makes any sense. If you only weigh yourself once a week then what is that day of the week you had a lot of water in the system or you had undigested food or something. You're not always the lightest in the morning, so I donno. If i were you I would hop on the scale today, the fist week you will def. loose the most, & if you gained weight then you gained muscle!! just remember that!
  • FATGIRLFANTASY
    FATGIRLFANTASY Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    thanks guys!! :)
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I do every 3-4 days! : ))
  • Balfour35
    Balfour35 Posts: 13
    Options
    I used to weigh daily...ok sometimes 3 or 4 times a day and if I didn't I would obsess over it not sleep :ohwell: I have been working with a nutrients and have found out that this is not healthy ,so I have been trying to only weigh once a week.....so far I can go about 3 days without going insane LOL. My goal is once a week :bigsmile:
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I know I'm making progress, I feel healthier, my clothes are fitting a little lose, already....
    But, when do i weigh myself?! I'm the type of person who could go one of two ways, either i'll get scale-syndrome and hop on and off the scale too often & go crazy with the fluctuation of my body naturally gaining and losing lbs & oz every so often. OR I'll rarely get on it and be in the dark about how far I've really come.

I have a goal of losing 30lbs by the end of August.

So far thats 10lbs a month right?

So i've broken it down like this:

At the end of each month including August I'm going to weigh myself to see how i stand. I weighed myself at the end of May like the 27th or so.

Next weigh in is at the end of this month of June. I know i have a plan but some how its killing me, I need patience but I really want to see where I am.

Someone tell me, do you think this is wise for me to continue to weight until the end of each month comes or should I add in a mid-month weigh in as well?
    I only weigh myself once a month as well. next weigh in is the 14th or 15th. I'll probably take my measurements around then as well since I didn't take them when I started. What I do is review my diary very carefully every night. I pay close attention to my macros and make an effort to stay under daily. What I look for is where my numbers were high and how I could have adjusted my meals to make them better. Doing this has helped me make better food choices when out to dinner and other social activities. I feel it in my clothes and my body. I am more flexible than I started. My feet and ankles which were horribly swollen last year, including a raised lymphedema the size of a quarter on my right leg. and numbness in my toes. I have none of that now I also have had to replace my swim suit bottom and have a pair of jeans that now literally fall off me.

Monthly weighing helps me stay in touch with my body, how I am eating and how much exercise I get without being obsessed over fluctuating numbers on a scale. If I want to know how I am doing, it's all there in my diary.
  • FATGIRLFANTASY
    FATGIRLFANTASY Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You guys are all so helpful, i really appreciate you all for your assistance.