Need your expert opinions! ICF 5X5 (modified accessories and deadlifts)

Options
Workout A:
Squats: 5 X 5
Barbell Bench Press: 5 X 5
Pendlay Row: 5 X 5
Close grip upright row: 3 X 8 - 10 (instead of shrugs)
Hyperextension / Dumbbell row: 3 X 10 - 12 (Alternate between the 2 exercises for every workout)
Skull crusher: 3 X 10
Incline Dumbbell curl (superset with hammer curls): 3 X 8 - 10 (added in 1 more bicep exercise)
Cable face pull: 3 X 10 (Jason Blaha approved additional exercise)
Cable crunch: 4 X 15 - 20

Workout B:
Squats: 5 X 5
Deadlift: 5 X 5 (Instead of 1 X 5)
Pendlay Row: 5 X 5
Barbell shoulder press: 5 X 5
Close grip barbell bench press: 3 X 8 - 10
Incline dumbbell bench press: 3 X 8 - 10
21s Bicep Curl: 3 sets (additional bicep work)
Cable rope triceps extension: 3 X 8 - 10 (additional tricep work)
Front and side lateral raise (super set): 3 X 10 (additional shoulders work)
Cable crunch: 4 X 15 - 20

Question:
1. As i often travel on biz trips to hotel gyms with no squat racks, should i replace squats with Smith Machine Back Squat / Smith Machine Front Squat / Leg press / what will you recommend?
2. Will 5 X 5 deadlifts be alright in workout B? If not, what is your recommended number of sets and rep range
3. If I am short of time on one of the workout days (E.g Workout A). Can I work the arms exercise (e.g from Workout A) on a rest day (Tuesday), followed by full Workout B the next day?

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    1. If that's all is available then you have to make due. You could also check out gyms in the area. Many have a daily fee that you could take advantage of.
    2. I wouldn't recommend it. Deads are taxing exercise. Keep it at 1x5. If you want to do higher volume of deads then drop volume and weight of the squats.
    3. It would probably okay to do.

You could also go to Jason's facebook page and ask these question. He may answer them on his Monday Q and A.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    There is a reason the deadlifts are only 1x5
    If you go to the stronglifts website there is a pretty clear explanation why (probably in the FAQ).
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    1. I could do goblet squats instead, if the gyms have dumbbells available.
    2. Deadlift is 1x5 for a reason. You will not be able to recover from 5 sets while also doing 5x5 squats every workout.
    3. Yeah probably.
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Would 3X5 Deadlifts be ok? Or a pyramid scheme set up?
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Would 3X5 Deadlifts be ok? Or a pyramid scheme set up?

While the program isn't exactly the same (the link I reference), the reasoning is still valid, so as others have mentioned. 1x5 is programmed for a reason.
    http://stronglifts.com/deadlift/1x5vs5x5/
  • Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That's alot of volume. Wow
    If your big 4 are progressing linearly not much else is needed. Ie: dead, bench, squat, OHP.
    Throw in some Pullups and curls. Split that up into 2-3 days with a rest day in between. Keep deads at 1x5. Any more and your asking for an injury as form will degrade.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I tried upping DL on SL5x5 too as I thought 1x5 wasn't enough (this is after running 2 12 week cycles).
    Needless to say I went back to 1x5 within a few weeks. Unless I dropped the DL weight down to about 50% there was no way I could complete 5x5 DL after squats week in and week out.