Shakes

Options
any one tryed meal repacemet shakes are they any good
Thanks

Replies

• ForestFairy022
    ForestFairy022 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Eat real food. It'll sate your appetite better.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Only use them if they're a convenient way of getting food - i.e. if you work a very demanding job which doesn't allow you to sit down and eat etc.

No point in them if you're just going to try them just for the sake of it.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I've tried them a long time age and all it did for me was leave me ravenous. I was not successful at all. Eat in a deficit and you'll be fine.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Meal replacement shakes are not going to make you magically thinner or aid you with weight loss or muscle gain, if that is what you were thinking.

My advice would be to predominate your diet with a rich variety of whole, minimally processed foods, ensuring adequate protein, fiber, and dietary fat intake without overeating past your maintenance calories if your intent is to lose weight.
  • ForestFairy022
    ForestFairy022 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Also, they don't teach you life long habits to keep the weight off for good. Like so many other diets. You need to learn what a correct portion size is in order to keep it off for good.
  • jojoly
    jojoly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to feel similarly about shakes, and my experience with the ones I tried just left me starving an hour or two later. However, I have a 2 and 5 year old, a full time job, and an hour commute each way and not a ton of free time to meal prep. I finally gave Shakeology a try after hearing so many people say they love it, and despite how skeptical I was I really liked it, it kept me full for several hours, and I love the added nutrients in it. I'm not a beach body coach, this review is not biased because I'm trying to promote a product. I either have it for breakfast on my commute or drink it as a mid morning snack. Very reasonable on calories and the chocolate tastes good. It has actually been satisfying my sweet tooth craving. It's insanely expensive, but I gave up my Starbucks habit so it balanced out in the budget.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Real food is always a better choice.
    However, for a good meal replacement I mix Plant Fusion and Green Vibrance. It's delicious and easy to mix/digest. Keeps me satisfied for hours. A lot of protein and other really good and natural ingredients. It's fairly resonable as well.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have a Premier Protein shake for breakfast everyday. Tastes good and has 30 grams of protein and only 160 calories. Helps me reach my protein goals for the day.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you'd like to add that, go ahead. Just realize that solid food is going to be more useful for you unless you have a medical condition that requires a liquid meal/diet.

I use protein shakes to... ingest protein. I have a high number to hit every day and very little space in which to do it. So I use shakes on a regular basis. I still choose solid food first. My choice for shakes is Bariatric Advantage or my fave, Bariatric Fusion. Good nutrition profiles and the BF tastes awesome.
  • srschaffer1
    srschaffer1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with several of the above. I use shakeology in the morning because my job is demanding. I prep the rest of my meals. I tried prepping breakfast but I have little time (even when Iget up earlier!) to actually eat it at home or at work. If you have the time in the mornings prepping the meals so you are loaded with rich foods should workout for you.

I also agree with another commenter. Shakes are not a quick way to lose weight so don't use shakes if that's what you are trying to do.
  • strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have tried a lot of the shakes out there over the years for one reason or another. They are not a quick lose weight deal like others have said. I have looked at a lot of them based on their nutrition and all recently. I personally like the shakeology but it is expensive and not always affordable. I keep thinking about trying the meal replacement shake they have as well because it is cheaper and fairly close to the same. Its all in preferences really.
  • applebreeeeze
    applebreeeeze Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking shakes for breakfast for the past year or so. I usually have a protein shake with a banana, or skip the banana and have an actual meal replacement shake. Since I don't eat meat, it's an easy way to get extra protein. And it's a quick breakfast. I agree with the others, though - it won't keep you full as long as real food does. I eat a second (small) breakfast a few hours later.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I drink shakes on occasion, sometimes as breakfast when I am in a rush. Sometimes in the evening if I have an early dinner and need something before I go to bed otherwise I wake up hungry in the middle of the night. It also kinda takes the place of dessert for me but I find it more filling and satiating than a cookie or something else that I could have for the same amount of calories...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    leeuk wrote: »
    any one tryed meal repacemet shakes are they any good
    Thanks

I used Slim Fast years ago. They promised me I would lose plenty of weight while using their product.

I didn't lose weight. I guess I missed the part about using their shake along with diet and exercise.

The point being, you won't lose any weight on meal replacement shakes if you eat at a calorie surplus, and you will lose weight on meal replacement shakes if you eat at a calorie deficit.

Meal replacement shakes are 100% unnecessary to weight loss. :)

Just eat real food in moderation and stay in a deficit and you will lose weight.