36 hour fasts effect cravings and leptin

Options
Hey i did a 36hour fast where i finished my last bite of my dinner at around 6pm on a wednesday and on thursday evening ii was soo hungry but just had water and oolong tea to help with cravings. On thursday night i couldnt sleep n fell asleep by 1am and woke up at aroung 7am the next morning without feeling tired AT ALL. So when i woke up my stomach was smaller and i was skinner and i also almost completely lost my appetite, like my cravings for carbs and sugar, the only thing i wanted to eat was meat so i made a couple hot dogs n after just trying a bite of one i instantly indulged the rest when as i teied a twinkie before that (which i love) and i actually had to force myself to eat it, my appetite for other foods only came back later in the day. So did my leptin increase because i had to force myself to eat my favourite sugary snacks like a twinkie and an ice crwam snandwich and for some reason just craved meats, or was it something else?

Replies

• Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even know where to start :noway:
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Um. Not really sure that you know how your body and leptin actually work.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Hey i did a 36hour fast where i finished my last bite of my dinner at around 6pm on a wednesday and on thursday evening ii was soo hungry but just had water and oolong tea to help with cravings. On thursday night i couldnt sleep n fell asleep by 1am and woke up at aroung 7am the next morning without feeling tired AT ALL. So when i woke up my stomach was smaller and i was skinner and i also lost my cravings for carbs and sugar, the only thing i wanted to eat was meat and i forced myslef to eat my favourite foods but i indulged on meats and protiens also my stomach was trying to stay tigght when i was eating. So did my leptin increase because i had to force myself to eat my favourite snacks and craved meats or was it something else?

Um no. Just no.

I agree with the other poster that I'm not really sure you know how your body and leptin work.

Fasting for 36 hours also isn't going to make you skinnier or smaller. You're depriving your body of nutrients it needs.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The human body is perfectly well adapted to not eating for 24-72 hours, there is nothing inherently wrong with doing that in the context of an overall healthy intake.

However, I'm having trouble deciphering the OP's post - what is the question, exactly?
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I don't think your stomach can shrink in 36 hours...? Plenty of people do intermittent fasting, so there's really nothing wrong with that. My big question is, why were you forcing yourself to eat twinkies and ice cream?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How did you measure this "skinnier"?
  • rockstar2b66
    Options
    I agree, there's no way your stomach can shrink and you would actually lose fat by not eating for 36 hours. I did a fast similar to that, back with my unhealthy habits, why you may seem a bit tighter is that it's actually water weight that you lose and also there's nothing in your stomach so there's no bloat. As soon as you eat something, it will trigger a binge and you will gain it all back if not more.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I fast regularly, but not for that long.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I am not sure I understand the question either. but i am interested in doing a 36 hour fast. and yes, your stomach can shrink and stretch.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I understand the question either. but i am interested in doing a 36 hour fast. and yes, your stomach can shrink and stretch.

The ONLY way to physically shrink your stomach is with surgery

ETA:Myth 1: Your stomach will shrink if you eat less.
    FACT: The only way to physically shrink your stomach is through surgical procedures. Your stomach expands to
    accommodate the amount of food that you eat and goes back to its original size once the food passes on to the
    intestines. The only effect cutting down on the amount of food will have on your stomach is your appetite but not
    the size of the stomach itself.
  • tinypastels
    tinypastels Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been sick for the past week, though no loss in appetite. Been eating normal, but only thing that's changed is not buying sugary foods! Well actually I ate a jar of raw honey instead!! Ooops. But besides that, I think leptin isn't the question here. You are not craving the sweet stuff because you've slightly broken your addiction. You've rebooted your body into knowing the meat will get you longer lasting energy than sugar. Sugar just hijacks your mind into thinking its tasty and energizing.

But to learn about leptin (to all those unfamiliar) THIS guy is great at explaining everything fat loss and food!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhObSu7y2_A
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options

FACT: The only way to physically shrink your stomach is through surgical procedures. Your stomach expands to
    accommodate the amount of food that you eat and goes back to its original size once the food passes on to the
    intestines. The only effect cutting down on the amount of food will have on your stomach is your appetite but not

Thanks! I was pretty sure this was the case. I think people mistake feeling less hunger for a shrunken stomach. And even if your stomach COULD shrink, I don't see how it could happen in 36 hours. If your body could regenerate like that, no one would have loose skin.
  • rosemary98
    Options

Thanks! I was pretty sure this was the case. I think people mistake feeling less hunger for a shrunken stomach. And even if your stomach COULD shrink, I don't see how it could happen in 36 hours. If your body could regenerate like that, no one would have loose skin.

I agree...I didn't mean it would shrink to a size smaller than normal. I just meant that when we eat our stomachs stretch. if our stomachs are completely emptied--they shrink back down to normal size. depending on the person, emptying of the stomach varies.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I agree, there's no way your stomach can shrink and you would actually lose fat by not eating for 36 hours. I did a fast similar to that, back with my unhealthy habits, why you may seem a bit tighter is that it's actually water weight that you lose and also there's nothing in your stomach so there's no bloat. As soon as you eat something, it will trigger a binge and you will gain it all back if not more.

Um, no. Perhaps fasting will trigger YOU to binge, but many of us on MFP fast regularly without having any negative issues.
  • westmacottr
    westmacottr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm currently in a 36 hour fast, should break it tomorrow morning. The reason is because of a previous 36 hour fast, which ended in uncontrolled binge eating of all things carb, including chocolate. SO in order to keep my calories low enough I needed to do another one. will have to evaluate if the initial binge returns, I hope not.
  • ForestFairy022
    ForestFairy022 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know. I don't fast. Reinforces binging habits for me. I also have low blood sugar...which makes it slightly hazardous, because I pass out.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Is this a serious post? Fasting is a perfectly healthy thing to do occasionally for most people, but it's not a miracle cure for carb cravings. You felt skinnier because you'd lost a little bit of fat and a bit more water and waste.

Why in the world did you choose to break your fast with junk like hot dogs and twinkies? Why not feed your body something more nutritious?
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You have serious food issues if you break a fast by forcing yourself to eat tweenkies and icecream. And I won't even go there about the hotdogs being your go to protein source after 36 hours. Please consult with a nutritionist and set up a healthy food plan for your diet. You have a lot of research to do. Start by doing some research on healthy and nutritious foods.