Mindful Eating

Options

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    So is there a difference between mindful eating and intuitive eating, or is it the same thing?

'Listening to my body' (what I would call intuitive eating) is exactly how I ended up needing to lose weight as my body was telling me that yes, I did need to eat an entire share-size bar of chocolate to myself a night. As others have said, I imagine it is easier once you have spent a while logging your food and are more aware of calories content and portion control.

So is 'mindful eating' more of a meditation kinda thing, being appreciative of every bite, eating slower to saviour every bite, etc?

The OP already gave a great reply to this, but I just want to add - you didn't "need" an entire share-size bar of chocolate. You "wanted" it. Mindfulness is also about realizing the difference between want and need and thinking about why is it that you want that share-size bar of chocolate. CICO works for weight loss. Mindfulness helps with the emotional side, if that's an issue (ie. realizing whether you are filling an emotional void by eating the entire bar of chocolate). It goes beyond that, as the OP has eloquently stated, but that's one side to it.
  • Nance_61
    Nance_61 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Nance_61 wrote: »
    I pretend the voice is Alan Rickman - doesn't always help

I can see that working most of the time...

Metatron-Alan-Rickman-Scenes-dogma-14012386-672-304.jpg

Bahahaha .. thanks!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Remember to not confuse "CICO" with "calorie counting". Every dieting method relies on CICO. Counting calories is just one way to control calories in-out. Mindfulness can be another. They can work well together too.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have been practicing mindful eating on and off for 3 years now. I did a silent mindfulness retreat with the monks of plum village and really learned a whole new way to eat!

The biggest lesson I got out of it is to put the fork down between each mouthful.

I have to admit eating mindfully is not very sociable. Mostly I eat in company but when I get to eat on my own I try to remember to practice mindfulness when I eat. I do love the whole experience and while I never thought of it before as a weight loss tool it is definitely a great thing to practice!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    YOu went to Plum Village? In France? Lucky you.

I don't think you can eat mindfully whilst chatting with people.

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I'm mindful that it all comes down to CICO.
    Right, no matter what we call it, at day's end, you're either in a slight deficit or you're not.
    Mindful eating sounds cool so long as it produces results.

• LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Ever since I've cleaned up my diet, I've been trying to slow down while eating and really appreciate the flavor of things. Surprisingly, this has caused me to be aware that I'm full or not hungry after one serving, rather than waiting until I feel like I'm about to pop after two or three.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    <snip> So is 'mindful eating' more of a meditation kinda thing, being appreciative of every bite, eating slower to saviour every bite, etc?

For me, the "mindful" part is not only paying attention to what I'm eating, how much of it, and ingesting it slower, but honestly understanding *why* I'm eating as well. Am I really hungry or am I thirsty, which sometimes comes off as hunger? Am I eating because I need to ingest food or am I stressed or pissed or some other emotion? Do I *want* this food or do I *need* this food and is there a better option to get what I need?

Analyzing why I'm eating, as well as changing a few small habits, has helped me immensely with food triggers, portion control, and generally I've stopped thinking about food as anything other than a tasty vehicle for required nutrients.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am learning mindful, or intuitive, eating. it has helped me start to learn to listen to my body. it's not easy, but it makes the most sense to me. It's always going to be CI vs CO for me, but at least i can get to the point where i am listening to my body instead of the scale or #s on packages
  • Jim_1000
    Jim_1000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thich Nhat Hanh (yes, Plum Village) has a book on mindful eating called Savor.

savorthebook.com
  • kkzmom11
    Options
    LeenaPoro wrote: »
    I've started mindful eating as well! I really enjoy the preparation: clearing the table and then setting it prettily, with a cute tablecloth and all. Some instrumental jazz playing in the background, good food and all the time to enjoy it, my cat sitting across the table (she's always hoping for scraps and is a great conversationalist)... Breakfast, lunch and dinner are small moments of bliss to me now. Perhaps I over-do the planning and preparation at times, but it's not like I have anything better to do at the moment in my life. :sunglasses:

you should come over and do this for me. except i have a dog. LMAO
  • cindybgood
    cindybgood Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started "eating mindfully" about 8 months ago and have lost 10 pounds. My definition of "mindful eating" is being aware of what I am putting into my body...stopping to think about whether or not the food I am about to eat is going to provide my body with good nutritional value - or is it just empty calories. I tracked my foods for several months which gave me a good overall idea of where my calories and nutrition are coming from. I now am aware of what I am eating and make better choices - whole foods rather than processed foods, more nutrient dense foods, etc. I feel better, have more energy and don't get the "carb" cravings that I used to. Changing your eating habits for the long term will get you much further and healthier than dieting!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Right, no matter what we call it, at day's end, you're either in a slight deficit or you're not.
    Mindful eating sounds cool so long as it produces results.

Dang! This and this. :)

smiley-face-thumbs-up-clipart-thumbs-up-clipart-65.jpg

Patttience wrote: »

This use of the word mindful is not the same as the way its used by the op. YOu use it as meaning that you are aware of something external to you. The OP uses it to mean awareness of her experience in the present moment.

Well, that's you interpretation anyway. Mindfulness comes in many forms. I think striving for CICO takes a lot of inner work and awareness. In the end, weight management is calories in/calories out, and how mindfulness around food is practiced is individual.
  • kkzmom11
    Options
    for me, being mindful is that i can enjoy whatever i like, but when my body says it's had enough, that's my cue to stop eating or drinking.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I did a retreat with the monks of Plum Village but they came to Ireland and we spent time in a wonderful spiritual place called Newgrange. I really do want to get to Plum Village some day. I got a taster (no pun) of what it would be like.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I blogged my mindful eating of a bagel.
    http://jgnatbuzz.blogspot.ca/2015/04/pleasurable-bagel.html
    I track my calories and eat slowly. Win-win!
  • joeloftus304
    joeloftus304 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I chose to set a weight goal and follow my food intake versus target calories. i find this has helped control my eating better than following a "diet". still eating my same foods but portion control and making better selections for sides (veggies not fries, etc) has me down 10 lbs in about a month. meticulously posting what you eat and drink and being totally honest is my key
  • Mindfullyjo
    Mindfullyjo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thich Naht Hanh (Thay) is a truly wise and compassionate teacher who has made mindfulness accessible to people from all backgrounds, faiths and beliefs. How lovely to have been at the Newgrange retreat with the monastics! If Thay is a bit too 'Buddhist' (zen) for some people, then you might want to look out Jon Kabat Zinn on this video - giving a talk to the staff at Google: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nwwKbM_vJc
  • derekspiewak
    derekspiewak Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've done it before, and I liked it. I find that it helps a great deal if you are actually hungry before you begin eating, and not just eating because you think you should on a discursive level of thinking.

Hunger is the greatest spice known to mankind. It can make the plainest foods taste exquisite.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    logging and keeping a diary taught me how to be mindful in my dietary habits. I haven't logged in over two years and have had no issues maintaining and now even cutting a little extra.