Get rid of lower stomach

Options
So I have lost a lot of weight over the years, but I can not seem to get rid of my lower stomach. I also want to tighten my stomach overall. What excercise a can help, or what in general can I do to get rid of it?

Replies

• KatyDidIt9090
    KatyDidIt9090 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Work on your core. Cardio...over 45 min, ab machines, lifting legs...that elevated chair exercise where u have to bring ur knees to ur chest. That's how u know how weak or strong ur core is! :#
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Work on your core. Cardio...over 45 min, ab machines, lifting legs...that elevated chair exercise where u have to bring ur knees to ur chest. That's how u know how weak or strong ur core is! :#

Doing ab work will not get rid of the fat covering your abs - spot reduction does not happen. Tighten up your logging - weigh everything you consume, only eat back about 50% of your exercise calories, and do more of the exercises that you enjoy doing. Full body lifts/compound lifts will usually burn the most calories, and if you like cardio - do that too :)
  • giggles_del
    giggles_del Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Will that help with my lower stomach? I seem to lose wait inches with the workouts and cardio, but my lower stomach doesn't seem to go down
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you weighed at your heaviest, it may just be loose skin. I have the same problem. No matter how low my bodyfat % is, I'll never have washboard abs.
  • rbchick66
    rbchick66 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    To tighten that area. Do bicycles, leg lifts, and planks. Make sure your form is correct, your head sould never touch the ground during core work outs to prevent neck and back injury. Keep up the rest of your routine as well. Good luck!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Will that help with my lower stomach? I seem to lose wait inches with the workouts and cardio, but my lower stomach doesn't seem to go down

You can thank genetics for that. Achieving a flat stomach will be determined by your body fat %, genetics (this determines when) and your body composition.

What is your current workout schedule? How many calories do you eat?

At this point, you want a small deficit and a workout routine that is focused on progressive lifting and some cardio.

• giggles_del
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Depending on how much you weighed at your heaviest, it may just be loose skin. I have the same problem. No matter how low my bodyfat % is, I'll never have washboard abs.

I don't know my body fat % but I have lost a total of about 55 lbs so I do believe it's lose skin, so I won't get rid of it with workouts?
  • giggles_del
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

You can thank genetics for that. Achieving a flat stomach will be determined by your body fat %, genetics (this determines when) and your body composition.

What is your current workout schedule? How many calories do you eat?

At this point, you want a small deficit and a workout routine that is focused on progressive lifting and some cardio.

I started my workout more consistently recently, I try to stick with an hour, 3 times a week. I mostly do cardio in the treadmill. This is my first week counting my calories and I try to stay under 1,200 when I don't work out. I do have days when I consume more calories and don't workout a lot
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Well considering you dont have much to lose so you will want a smaller deficit. Also, cardio is great for heart health but you really should look into resistance/weight training as it works the muscular system. Also, upping protein to around .6 to .8g per lb of body mass will help too.
  • giggles_del
    Options
    Sounds good, I will continue with the cardio and start doing more weight training .. Again, thank you!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I would also like to add, that you should look into a few things. First a structured weight lifting program such as: New rules of lifting for women (NROL4W), Strong Lift, Strong Curves (this one is more focused on lower body and towards women who want that booty), or starting strength. All of these are beginner workouts. There are plenty of other good routines depending on access to equipment. So if you want, let us know what access you have an we can give a few suggestions.

Also, regarding your calories, drop your per week weight loss goal down to 1 lb or .5 lbs. This is where you should be aiming. Or what you can do is switch over to the TDEE way of tracking. TDEE = total daily energy expended or maintenance. This way of doing calories incorporates exercise into the equation and gives you a standard calorie goal to reach. So each day, you are aiming to get the same calories instead of eating more calories on workout days. Many of us prefer this way because it makes it easy to hit our macronutrients.

If you want some helpful threads below are some good reads:

Logging Accurately..step by step guide

Calorie Counting 101

A guide to get you started on your path to Sexypants.
  • rigby619
    rigby619 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also struggling with this area! It's the only part I have left to tone really.... I've started this week with the bicycle sit-ups, the bench sit ups and knee to chest. I have to be patient now to see if this pays off!! :-) I did a similar post and many suggestions were that food plays a huge part so I have also started to be more strict and a more protein based diet.

Good tips here though!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    So I have lost a lot of weight over the years, but I can not seem to get rid of my lower stomach. I also want to tighten my stomach overall. What excercise a can help, or what in general can I do to get rid of it?
    Consistent reasonable calorie deficit. You can't spot reduce any area of the body with exercise. Fat comes off the body systematically. So where you usually hold it, is usually the last place to go.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Working your core doesn't reduce fat though. It strengthens the muscle underneath.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jennmpantoja
    jennmpantoja Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    The lower part of my stomach is the HARDEST!! It really depresses me at times (well really all the time). I've realized that I have to cut sugar, very hard when I'm a coffee addict. Cardio, lots of freaking cardio, crunches and planks. That's my biggest issue for me regarding my difficult area on my body.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    The lower part of my stomach is the HARDEST!! It really depresses me at times (well really all the time). I've realized that I have to cut sugar, very hard when I'm a coffee addict. Cardio, lots of freaking cardio, crunches and planks. That's my biggest issue for me regarding my difficult area on my body.

Cutting down on sugar and cardio do not help to get a flat stomach.
  • jennmpantoja
    Options
    I can say that if I don't lose this belly with all the working out I'm doing within a year I'm going to get it fixed @psulemon
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I can say that if I don't lose this belly with all the working out I'm doing within a year I'm going to get it fixed @psulemon

Well that is good.. I would make sure that you are doing some lifting too. Personally, I have seen much more body changes with lifting that I ever did with cardio. But to reiterate, achieving a flat stomach will be determined by your body fat %, genetics (this determines when) and your body composition.

• jennmpantoja
    Options
    Oh yeah @psulemon genetics are a HUGE battle for me. So many women in my family have the lower tummy issues, however they have had kids. I've not, so its just really depressing for me.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

coffee has nothing to do with sugar.

work on cardio and strengthening. the strengenthing will make them more pronounced after you lose the body fat necessary to see them. (if that made sense)