In your opinion.....

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think it's finding a diet and activity that suits your lifestyle and you enjoy. Something you can see yourself sticking with long term.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Along with all of the great advice that has been given so far...

Keep things simple. There is no reason to think that you have to go to the complicated extremes on your first day.

Set a reasonable calorie goal. If you don't feel like you can sustain the amount of calories you start out with you can always adjust it.

During the first month, your main focus should be on creating habits like logging everything. Also use this time to really get to know the ins and outs of MFP. Read the announcements so you can learn how to log everything accurately, the benefits of a food scale, and just how things work on here in general.

Make sure that your expectations are realistic.

Get to know your body and learn what causes normal fluctuations in your body weight.

Avoid the coaches, distributors, ambassadors and anyone else that is trying to sell you something on here.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.
    Realistic expectations.
    Patience.

This is really all you need.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    What is the key(s) to successful weight loss/fat loss? And please be more specific then just "a lifestyle change" we get that haha. I am just curious to what you all will say. :) Happy sharing and play nice!

1) Find an eating style that works for you (that may mean trying different things - whatever you try, give it at least a month to see if it fits you).

2) Sleep - get plenty of this (don't short change yourself).

3) Be active. Do some kind of activity which you enjoy (anything from just walking to mountain climbing) Do what feels fun. If you do something that feels like a chore chances are you won't stick to it (that goes for the diet you choose too).

4) As someone above has mentioned - patience. Even slow progress, is progress!!

5) Don't give up.

A great quote I saw the other month which I now look at often.

"If I quit now, I'll soon be back to where I started. And when I started I so desperately wanted to be where I am now"
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Finding what works for YOU. Not following the diet that your Co workers or a friend used. Finding the "you" diet. If you have triggers, manage or avoid them. If you have cravings, figure out why. Keep things as simple as possible and don't look for short cuts or fast fixes.
    I second that. just cut the crap and realize there's no magic or hidden stones. it's day by day calorie balance. that's it. find out what macros keep you satiated and take it one day at a time

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Reasonable calorie deficit with a plan you can continue to do even after you've met your goal.
    Patience.
    Commitment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rigby619
    rigby619 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i think to be realistic and not lose a stone in a week! I find setting small targets are more achievable. You really need to enjoy what you're doing too, maybe not the gym there are many other forms of excersize to go with eating well! :-)

a good support or doing it alongside someone is great for motivation!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Lot's of good advice here. 1. Get a food scale. What you think is a serving is likely bigger than an actual serving. With a food scale over time you will get pretty good at eye balling stuff. 2. Like others have said. Find foods that fit into your calorie goals that work for you. Some foods will keep you full longer than other foods. 3. Always try new things. You will find a meal or recipe that is healthy and that you enjoy eating. Then you will eat it a lot and get tired of it. You need to develop a rotation of healthy meals so you can sustain your eating habits.
    4. Find active activities that you enjoy so they don't feel like exercise to you. But, same thing with food, always try new things.
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    In addition to a lifestyle change and sustainability, I'd say....

Eating healthier foods, mainly eating more protein and fiber every day. I've found this to be the most important habit I've learned. When I eat a good amount of protein and fiber, I feel full on fewer calories, cravings are more manageable, and it's SO much easier to stick to my daily calorie goal.
  • idrinkalotofwater
    idrinkalotofwater Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    When you know you shouldn't eat something - don't
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options

"If I quit now, I'll soon be back to where I started. And when I started I so desperately wanted to be where I am now"

Good one
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    For me, it's a change in mindset. It's realizing that I can't eat the way I used to when I was younger (I used to be able to eat pretty much anything I wanted with no significant weight gain.) It's being honest with myself about what is most important (eating vs. being a healthy weight). It's overcoming emotional eating (my big downfall). For me, it's all mental.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    1. Eat at a deficit.
    2. Weigh everything.
    3. Don't do anything too extreme with your food choices. Eat what you've always eaten just less of it.
    4. Try and really limit how much you eat out.
    5. Do an easy exercise routine that you know you can stick to.
    6. Be patient. This is not going to happen overnight.
    7. Slow down your pace if you begin to struggle.
    8. Never stop just keep going. You can lose weight on any diet If you can stick to it, but it has to be one you can stick to.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    When you know you shouldn't eat something - don't
    That's vague though. If I had room to eat a donut after meeting macro and micro goals, are you saying I shouldn't eat it?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Don't turn your life upside down to lose weight. The point of losing is to make life easier, not harder.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I focused on getting healthy and the lifestyle changes just fell into place. I shop for healthy foods and prepare them in ways that taste good. I do exercises I enjoy.

I paid attention as I lost weight, so I figured out some things and found what works well for me.

I stick with the basics - eat right and exercise - and finding the right way for me. I enjoy trying new things, but I don't try anything that doesn't fit into my overall plan. If a bunch of other people do it, but I don't think it's for me, I skip it.

We all have to lose our own weight, so we all have to do it our own way. If you keep trying, you'll find the way that works for you!

Most important: Do not give up. Stumble, fall, pick yourself up 1.000 times, but NEVER QUIT.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Don't turn your life upside down to lose weight. The point of losing is to make life easier, not harder.

I agree, I have failed many times because I tried to change my entire lifestyle, in a day. No more, for the 1st 3 months; I am going to just create & tweak healthy recipes. Then I'll spend another 3 finishing with building my home gym. Finally I'll start logging my food consumption & exercise endeavors.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Start with small, even tiny changes. Drink one less sugary soda a day, if you drink sugary soda. Say no to that second helping of dessert. You can't go from eating over 2500 calories a day to 1200 and expect to stick with that for more than a few days at best. Even now, 276 days in, I still set my calorie goal to 1970 calories a day, knowing I probably could not eat that much a day but I take comfort in the fact that I could and not feel guilty.

And the number one thing is patience, which is in short supply in most "diet plans." In my opinion, I'm not on a diet, I'm changing my lifestyle for good.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    meal plan. meal plan . meal plan.
    I log my dinner and snack and coffee in the morning at the same time. and then I see what I have to work with for the rest of the day, that way i never 'run out' of calories. since those are my 3 favorite things..they are my priority, I also find eating the same things (that i like) really help. it also keeps me from just eating everything...or wandering what i'm going to eat. my breakfast is almost always honey nut cherrios. i love them. lunch is usually an uncrustable or a mini pizza (I eat like a toddler) BUT it works for me, i like it...i could never be like now i will eat egg whites and salad. I would rather be fat. seriously. plus i know what to expect from my calories bye keeping my meals the same. Or finding lower calorie alternatives to things you love. like bacon, the pre cooked stuff is 4 slices for 70 calories. so bacon sandwiches find their way on my plate a lot.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.
    Realistic expectations.
    Patience.

Yep ... that about sums it up. :)