A day with 1610cal

Options
I know this is very individual but can anyone share what you are able to do in a day with about 1610 calories. I feel like I eat the same everyday because it's things that are easy to figure out calorie wise. For instance, I always have oatmeal with cocunut milk and blueberries because it stays under 300 for thr morning and I am trying to reserve most of my cals for later meals. I also tend to want to have a snack in the afternoon, maybe an egg or apple and cheese, and sometimes in the evening, like maybe a yogurt. It doesn't feel like I am able to do much with the rest of the lunch and dinner cals.

Replies

• DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, have a look at yesterday. I ate less than 1610, but not by a whole lot.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1550 cals a day and this is what today looks like:

Breakfast: ciabatta bread, 2 eggs, roasted asparagus - 295 calories
    Lunch: Turkey/Provolone Panini and watermelon - 434 calories
    Snack: 2 Sugar Free Jello cups - 20 calories
    Dinner: Chicken, Aspargus and Parmesan over Angel Hair Pasta - 626 calories
    Dessert/Snack: Think Thin Lean Protein and Fiber Bar - 150 calories

Normally, I would have more at lunch or for my afternoon snack, but dinner is higher in calories today than I would usually eat.
  • pussingtonp
    pussingtonp Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    TexasJade I would love 1600 cals/day! lol I'm on 1200. For breakfast I usually do 1/2 cup of cereal and 1/2 cup of coconut/almond milk, but today I mixed it up, I made a whole wheat ham and egg breakfast sandwich, it was delicious and a change.

You can do a lot with what you have for dinner - I stated weighing my food, and found out I am eating less than I thought! I made Tacos last night with ground chicken and blackbeans as the filling, they were delicious. I had 3 hard shells with salsa, cheese and the filling and it was around 400cals. just boil your ground chicken and can of beans with a bunch of spices.

I also Boil chicken breast a lot, and do it in some sort of sauce. Just put your chicken into water and a spoonful of sauce and boil - no added calories from oil, etc and delicious meats! I would ususally serve this with a rice, or on top of a Baby Romaine salad.

When making pork as well, I cut pork chops in half so they are thin, and fill up on veggies. Served with boiled Cauliflour, brocolli and Potatoes, delicious, and was only about 300cals.

Tonight I am thinking about doing Mini Chicken burgers with a homemade slaw, with roasted Sweet potatoes.

A lot of the time it's about thinking outside the box, for me, I try and identify "empty" calories - in my mind, foods which add a tonne of calories but don't give me more to eat. So for example, I boil meats instead of frying because I don't think the extra 120cals a spoonful is worth it. Same goes with salads, I put cut tomato and beets in my salad, and don't add a dressing, because the juices from my veggies soak it. I try not to cook with sauces, or if I do, I water them down. When drinking, if I want something fizzy I decide if I want the fizz or the calories, so usually make a fizzy water with frozen lime instead.

I'm giving advice, and I hope it helps, I've only been tracking my food for the past two days, and always struggle to keep on doing it, but my diary is open if you want some inspiration.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    i am at 1700 and today looked like this: breakfast was smoothie: milk, frozen blueberries, frozen strawberries, banana, kale and oj, lunch was 2 cups of homemade vegan chili, snacks: 2 string cheese sticks, 60 roasted peanuts, one package of cookies (130 cal), dinner will be: ear of corn, steamed broccoli, sauteed green beans, fried okra and a sliced tomato. I'll probably have another snack of some kind today, maybe a tbsp of peanut butter or something to hold me over before my 4 mile run this afternoon :)
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I try to eat about 1,500-1,600 calories and I find that I can eat mostly anything. Just keep portions small and eat within reason.

For breakfast I had chips, salsa and sour cream (I was craving it and it was easy)
    Lunch: Ground turkey and sweet potato skillet with mozzarella and sour cream
    Snack: Grilled asparagus dipped in sriracha
    Dinner: Who knows??? I have 600 calories left to spare
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    scottyxxx wrote: »
    TexasJade I would love 1600 cals/day! lol I'm on 1200. For breakfast I usually do 1/2 cup of cereal and 1/2 cup of coconut/almond milk, but today I mixed it up, I made a whole wheat ham and egg breakfast sandwich, it was delicious and a change.

You can do a lot with what you have for dinner - I stated weighing my food, and found out I am eating less than I thought! I made Tacos last night with ground chicken and blackbeans as the filling, they were delicious. I had 3 hard shells with salsa, cheese and the filling and it was around 400cals. just boil your ground chicken and can of beans with a bunch of spices.

I also Boil chicken breast a lot, and do it in some sort of sauce. Just put your chicken into water and a spoonful of sauce and boil - no added calories from oil, etc and delicious meats! I would ususally serve this with a rice, or on top of a Baby Romaine salad.

When making pork as well, I cut pork chops in half so they are thin, and fill up on veggies. Served with boiled Cauliflour, brocolli and Potatoes, delicious, and was only about 300cals.

Tonight I am thinking about doing Mini Chicken burgers with a homemade slaw, with roasted Sweet potatoes.

A lot of the time it's about thinking outside the box, for me, I try and identify "empty" calories - in my mind, foods which add a tonne of calories but don't give me more to eat. So for example, I boil meats instead of frying because I don't think the extra 120cals a spoonful is worth it. Same goes with salads, I put cut tomato and beets in my salad, and don't add a dressing, because the juices from my veggies soak it. I try not to cook with sauces, or if I do, I water them down. When drinking, if I want something fizzy I decide if I want the fizz or the calories, so usually make a fizzy water with frozen lime instead.

I'm giving advice, and I hope it helps, I've only been tracking my food for the past two days, and always struggle to keep on doing it, but my diary is open if you want some inspiration.

At 29 and with 55 pounds to go, you will lose on more than 1200 calories. If you're active, it's a bad idea to have a goal that low. 1600/day is probably a under the 1 pound/week level for you if you're sedentary.

No matter what anyone's calorie goal is, I find it easiest to figure out what protein you're having and then supplement. Fatty cut of meat? green vegetable and beans on the side. Lean cut of meat? you can have more calorie-dense sides. And if there's something you're craving, fit it in. Burger/fries for dinner might mean a salad at lunch. Cheesecake might mean you eat low-fat all day.

My diary is open to friends but I'm maintaining and tend to view calories as a weekly thing.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I eat 1650 cals/day without exercise and my diary is open if you want to check it out. Let me know if you want any of the recipes that I've used.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    That does seem plenty to play with, I'd keep an eye on the carby element of your meals.

You've got a 300 breakfast, and lets give you 300 for snacks. That leaves 1000 for lunch and dinner.

Lunch - soup or salad based. Easy on any bread or croutons, and use salsa or cottage cheese instead of a salad dressing. Add tuna or chicken for protein.

Dinner - base it around protein and veg - salmon and broccoli, or prawn/ veg stir fry, or chicken with green beans. You don't have to cut out the bread/ rice/ pasta totally, but make sure you weigh this element.

If you set your diary to public we could see what you're currently eating and make more relevant suggestions.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, and I eat roughly 1350-1800 depending on how many exercise calories I eat back. Feel free to take a look.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1600 cals
    I wat 5 smaller meals
    morning is usually banana and 2 pieces or raisin bread/toast
    mid morning snack Trader Joe yogurt (the coconut is yummmmm) and some almonds
    The res of the day is veggies, fish or chicken, apple, eggs and cheese
  • TexasJade
    TexasJade Posts: 68 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thank you all. I just started this account a couple of days ago because MFP wouldn't let me change my user name on an old account. Today will be the first time I actually complete a day. Although, I am sure I have been in range, the last two nights dinners were out and I was not sure how to log them.

I had two slices of pizza and a Dr Pepper for lunch today, which is not a common occurance for me. But I am glad I did it because it was a higher count lunch for me and really made me think about dinner. I had a ham steak, salad with balsalmic dressing, peaches, and steamed zuchinni and squash and I still have almost 300 cals left if I want a snack later. I just started using a steamer and I love it. I think this will open up a ton of veggie options for me. I really need to use veggies to fill up so I will have room for the things I want to have occasionally.

I have never had an issue losing weight before but I want to make sure I have enough variety that I will be sure to stick to it. I am coming off of two back to back pregnancies and breastfeeding food intolerant infants. I need to loose 30 to 40 lbs. I mainly gained or have failed to loose pregnancy weight due to a soda and sweet tea habit I picked up from being so restricted with the baby's intolerances. I didn't drink a lot but enough, it was like my snack each day. I didn't go any stricter with calories because I think just dropping that will make a huge difference. I was probably getting 300 to 400 cals a day in soda. I have done 1300 to 1400 in the past but was willing to take it slower to not feel so restricted because the breastfeeding restrictions were really hard and worked on my mind and mood quite a bit.

Thank you all again for sharing your ideas and logs with me. It helps a ton.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I find 1600 calories to be plentiful. When I'm in maintenance I eat 1600 during the week so I can go crazy on the weekends. Breakfast is light, around 290, 400 calorie lunch, 200 calorie snack, 300-400 calorie dinner and same for dessert. I don't drink my calories, I eat high volume which means tons of veggies, little bread/salad dressings etc.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I found a good site that shows different things people should eat for that calorie amount.
    choosemyplate.gov/sites/default/files/myplate/dailyfoodplans/PlanAndWorksheet-1600cals-18plusyrs.pdf
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Depends how you want to split your calories up. I usually skip breakfast in favor of a bigger lunch and dinner.
    Dinner for me was a calzone I made filled with tomato sauce, mozzarella, spinach, mushrooms, red pepper and grilled chicken, with the filling that didn't fit inside I grilled up and had it on the side. Just under 900.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    This was mine from a few days ago.

Meal1
    Native Forest - Coconut Milk, Classic, Organic, Unsweetened, 1/3 cup (80 mL)
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 2 cup (8 fl oz)
    President Choice - Free From Naturally Smoked Bacon, 2 pieces
    Egg, whole, cooked, fried, 2 large
    Genuine Health Proteins+ - Natural Vanilla Protein Powder, 1 scoops (31g)

Meal 2
    Native Forest - Coconut Milk, Classic, Organic, Unsweetened, 1/3 cup (80 mL)
    Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 1 cup (8 fl oz)
    Genuine Health Proteins+ - Natural Vanilla Protein Powder, 1 scoops (31g

Meal 3
    Pc - Free From Pepperellos Original, 2 stick (25g)
    wild salmon - Silver Coho Salmon, 3 oz

Meal 4
    Connie's Kitchen - Feta and Spinach Chicken Sausages, 1 sausage 1

Meal 5
    Krisda - Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips, 2 Tbsp (15 g), Nuts, macadamia nuts, raw, 0.33 cup, whole or halves
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    don't overthink what you can eat. There's a lot you can eat at around 400-500 calories per meal. Get a food scale, weigh the food you want to eat so you know how many calories are in it, and have enough of it to fit your calorie goals. It doesn't matter what the foods are, as long as you are meeting your macronutrient needs and your calorie goals.
  • TexasJade
    TexasJade Posts: 68 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    don't overthink what you can eat. There's a lot you can eat at around 400-500 calories per meal. Get a food scale, weigh the food you want to eat so you know how many calories are in it, and have enough of it to fit your calorie goals. It doesn't matter what the foods are, as long as you are meeting your macronutrient needs and your calorie goals.

This is what I am finding hard. Granted I have not bought a food scale. I am afraid that will cause me to micromanage my food to an unhealthy (mentally) level. I haven't bought one because I have never had trouble losing just using cup and spoon measurements, and knowing what a 4oz portion of meat looks like. But what I am running into is balancing what I want to eat with a portion that is worth it to me for the calories it cost. I feel like I have been trying to juggle regular foods so much that I am having a hard time allowing myself anything else. For instance I had a half cup of applesauce earlier that was 120 cals. I was thinking 120 cals was a cup. I didn't find it worth it. I should have checked before I ate it but didn't realize until I logged it. My mistake but also things like raisens which I occasionally have in my oatmeal. Don't remember the cals but when I looked this morning, I knew I would probably never have 1/4 cup of them in my oatmeal again. I did have an 1/8 of a cup of them in with my blueberries because I didn't have a 1/4 a cup of those left. But the cal cost of some, what I think is normal food, makes feel like I really need to restrict things if I ever want a brownie or icecream. I am just trying to balance it all to feel satisfied portion and content wise, and health wise. I guess lots of veggies might be the answer for the filling part.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    TexasJade wrote: »

This is what I am finding hard. Granted I have not bought a food scale. I am afraid that will cause me to micromanage my food to an unhealthy (mentally) level. I haven't bought one because I have never had trouble losing just using cup and spoon measurements, and knowing what a 4oz portio of meat looks like. But what I am running into is balancing what I want to eat with a portion that is worth it to me for the calories it cost. I feel like I have been trying to juggle regular foods so much that I am having a hard time allowing myself anything else. For instance I had a half cup of applesauce earlier that was 120 cals. I was thinking 120 cals was a cup. I didn't find it worth it. I should have checked before I ate it but didn't realize until I logged it. My mistake but also things like raisens which I occasionally have in my oatmeal. Don't remember the cals but when I looked this morning, I knew I would probably never have 1/4 cup of them in my oatmeal again. I did have an 1/8 of a cup of them in with my blueberries because I didn't have a 1/4 a cup of those left. But the cal cost of some, what I think is normal food, makes feel like I really need to restrict things if I ever want a brownie or icecream. I am just trying to balance it all to feel satisfied portion and content wise, and health wise. I guess lots of veggies might be the answer for the filling part.

Weighing isn't any different than using measuring cups, as far as 'micromanaging', it's just a lot more accurate. Weighing will make you more accurate. Of course vegetables will give you large portions to eat, being that many of them are low calorie, but remember that proteins and fats are more satiating and will keep you feeling full longer than other foods.
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I eat a little less, but my diary is public. Feel free to take a look :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    TexasJade wrote: »

This is what I am finding hard. Granted I have not bought a food scale. I am afraid that will cause me to micromanage my food to an unhealthy (mentally) level. I haven't bought one because I have never had trouble losing just using cup and spoon measurements, and knowing what a 4oz portion of meat looks like. But what I am running into is balancing what I want to eat with a portion that is worth it to me for the calories it cost. I feel like I have been trying to juggle regular foods so much that I am having a hard time allowing myself anything else. For instance I had a half cup of applesauce earlier that was 120 cals. I was thinking 120 cals was a cup. I didn't find it worth it. I should have checked before I ate it but didn't realize until I logged it. My mistake but also things like raisens which I occasionally have in my oatmeal. Don't remember the cals but when I looked this morning, I knew I would probably never have 1/4 cup of them in my oatmeal again. I did have an 1/8 of a cup of them in with my blueberries because I didn't have a 1/4 a cup of those left. But the cal cost of some, what I think is normal food, makes feel like I really need to restrict things if I ever want a brownie or icecream. I am just trying to balance it all to feel satisfied portion and content wise, and health wise. I guess lots of veggies might be the answer for the filling part.

This is a learning process. You may find that certain things aren't worth it, if it means you can eat a cookie at the end of the day, or a serving of pasta for dinner. I never choose to eat oatmeal, let alone start adding raisins or nuts to it. Like you said, not worth it to me. I'd rather have veg, meat, and a cookie for dessert. You'll figure it out.