BATTLE!!!!

Options
I'm @ constant battle with this weight loss journey. One minute I'm all in the next I'm just like "ok, I'll start back tomorrow" but tomorrow never comes. Anywho, any suggestions on how to stay motivated about losing weight.

Replies

• BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Small goals because sometimes in the bugging it's hard to focus on big ones
  • BekahC1980
    Options
    BekahC1980 wrote: »

Beginning I meant.. Darn spellchecker
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Well, you either want it or you don't. But maybe not going "all in" would help. Start with little changes. Walking 3 days a week, or giving up late night snacking, or eating a lighter lunch, or whatever works for you. Then once that's working, add another. It might make for slower weight loss, but it also might make for longer sustainability.

Best of luck to you.
  • amlynn16
    amlynn16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Analyze your intentions. Coming from someone who's done a rollercoaster of weightloss. Ask yourself, why are you wanting to lose weight? Are you wanting to lose weight because of your doctor or significant other is encouraging you or do you want to get healthier? Reason being is the more apt you are to do it for others, it's easy not to stick with it. Also, make sure you set smaller goals such as just taking a couple walks each week.
  • advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    For me it's less about motivation and more about discipline.

No, I'm not always gung ho to work out or to stick to my planned meals, and there are LOTS of times where I'd love to just say "screw it" but I feel like crap (mentally and physically) if I skip a planned workout and I'm unhappy with how I look at 34% body fat. The only way to reach my goals is to keep going, so I do what I have to do whether I am motivated to do it or not.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

I was trying to figure out if that was slang I was unfamiliar with. ::laugh::

FYI - for an hour after you post, if you move your mouse to the upper right corner of your post and click on the dot that appears you can edit your post to correct typos.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Stop waiting for tomorrow. Motivation will come and go. Make small changes and continue doing them until they become a routine.

Decide for the rest of today you are going to log your food. Tomorrow you decide to do that again and for a week just make sure you do that every day. Trying to be as accurate and honest as possible. Next week lower your calories some and keep the logging going. Maybe decide you are going to walk 10 minutes today, build from there.

Don't try to do major changes all at once, build on them, and keep trying to be better than you were yesterday. Also, don't try to be perfect, go for consistent. You will go over your goal, you will miss a workout, it's okay we all do it, just keep showing up and giving it your best on that day.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Setting and sticking to goals is a measure of maturity and steadfastness. If you want to lose the weight it is up to you to find the motivation to persevere.

For me it was a matter of setting a goal, believing in myself and my capabilities and then sticking with the goal until success was achieved.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    When you say "gung ho" about it, does that mean you are extreme with your diet and exercise? This would lead to binging and that will never last. You have to do the little goals combined with slight modifications that gradually can become something that you can live with. You want chocolate...you can have chocolate, but you need to eat a bite, not the whole candy bar or bag of chocolate candies, etc.

Pre-logging with what you're planning on eating throughout the day will let you know if the treats will fit into your calories for the day. Just know that you can moderately start changing your diet. Think of it as getting healthier and this needs to be sustainable. Baby steps are the way to go.

More thoughts on how to keep motivated: -clear out all junk food or put it up way high (out of the sight and out of the way so that it is a pain to get to it). This worked for me because it was a big hassle to get to it. If I wanted it/needed it for my craving, I would get out the step stool though! :smiley:
    -Eat your veggies first in every meal. This will help you cut down on the rest of it and lower your overall calorie consumption.
    -Make little changes in your movement every day (i.e. park the farthest away from the building, take the stairs instead of the elevator, etc.). Any movement is better than no movement.
    -Lessen the amount of empty calories in your diet (so that you have caloric room for real food for when you are hungry). Treats are only treats if you eat it on the occasion or when you have surprise room in your daily caloric goal.

Good luck! :smiley:
  • ForestFairy022
    ForestFairy022 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to explain this : but I've gone about it like the NIKE slogan: Just do it.

And that's what I do. I just do it and try not to think about it too much. I treat it like it's an every day thing.
  • yashika218
    yashika218 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement guys! I've changed my eating habits before and lost 15 lbs in a month but then I stopped, idk why either
  • yashika218
    yashika218 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

My main problem is I don't prepare my meals plus my job is on the go so I basic eat out a lot. I leave for work at 8am and get hone about 830pm. Another quick question.. Is it better to work out in the mornings or the evenings? I just received my focus t25 in the mail yesterday but I'm going to start Monday.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You need balance and as the first person suggested small goals. You can do things to keep your diet simple and easy then its just a case of one day at a time. Nothing dramatic, just keep focused and hit your target. Being able to sustain is where its at for you and getting to the end of your journey.

Best to work oit at the time that suits you and you will do it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    Being "all in" when you're not mentally prepared usually leads to failure. We're speaking of changing behavioral habits and that can take time to do. So be committed, but don't change EVERYTHING. Try first with just one thing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    yashika218 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the encouragement guys! I've changed my eating habits before and lost 15 lbs in a month but then I stopped, idk why either

15 pounds in a month is great when you just start out, but that pace (3.5 pounds per week) is unsustainable. Your body will adjust to the lower calories and the pace of losing will even out at a lower level. The problem is that when that pace of weight loss starts to slow down, we get discouraged and quit. If you set your weight loss goal at 1 pound per week and expect to lose at that rate, you won't be discouraged when you hit that mark and "only" lose 4.5 pounds a month.

For motivation, I like to think of it this way: 365 tomorrows is a year from today. You can be the same weight as you are now (or heavier) by doing nothing, or you could make some small changes and weigh 50 pounds lighter by just losing a pound a week.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    My main problem is I don't prepare my meals plus my job is on the go so I basic eat out a lot. I leave for work at 8am and get hone about 830pm. Another quick question.. Is it better to work out in the mornings or the evenings? I just received my focus t25 in the mail yesterday but I'm going to start Monday.

Have a plan if you eat out a lot, this is where pre logging your food helps because you can adjust to make sure you are staying within your calorie goals.

Work out when you are going to do. For me that means around 3:30 in the morning, for someone else it might mean 9 at night. Find what works for you.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter, you should work out when it fits your schedule.

It also doesn't matter that you eat restaurant food, again, it isn't the food that is a problem, it is eating too much that causes weight gain. Use the app, count your calories and enter them in your diary, stop when you hit the calorie goal for the day.
  • BekahC1980
    Options

I was trying to figure out if that was slang I was unfamiliar with. ::laugh::

FYI - for an hour after you post, if you move your mouse to the upper right corner of your post and click on the dot that appears you can edit your post to correct typos.

thanks for the info but I was on my phone at the time lol
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I liked the "bugging" comment. It's not easy in the bugging...makes sense to me! Dieting can be bugging. :)

If I ate out all the time, I'd have a heck of a time losing weight.

Try preparing your food at home. They make insulated lunch packs.

Give that a shot, anyway.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I like to find foods that are easy to pack when I have a busy day. Salads are great, just chuck a bunch of lettuces and some vegetables (maybe some left over meat) in a bowl and go. Sandwiches and leftover are good too. The important thing is paying attention and tracking what you are eating. It takes a little bit of effort but not more than 30-45 minutes a night to be setup for the next day. If you know that you are going to eat out check the menu ahead of time and the nutrition facts.

Work out at the time that works for you. On the weekends I am all about morning exercise but during the week after work is my time.