Breastfeeding with a cold

Options
Any suggestions on natural ways to help get rid of a cold while breastfeeding?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Lots of sleep.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    water and sleep
  • The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    This website has some recommendations for safe OTC treatments if you want to go that route. For me, warm lemon water with honey seemed to help a bit.

http://www.infantrisk.com/content/over-counter-treatments-cough-and-cold
  • tbragg077
    tbragg077 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks yall! I'll try warm lemon water and see if that helps!! I'm not real big in taking medicines so any natural ways would be great!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    We get it. You have a cold. :frowning: LOL
  • tbragg077
    Options
    Obviously! I just want natural safe ways since I breastfeed and I read different things on medicines on the Internet!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Hot steamy showers can losen congestion.

Are you familer with Kellymom? It's a great site for research based breastfeeding info. Here's their article on cold treatments compatible with breastfeeding.

Disclaimer, their breastfeeding info is research based other info may not be. In other words, if they say it's safe while breastfeeding, I trust them. It may or may not actually help your cold.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I swear there is some sort of process when you breastfeed that lowers your resistance to everything. I'd assume to enhance and increase the amount of antibodies supplied in breastmilk, but I have no proof just my own personal evidence. I get every cold now since I've been breastfeeding. I'm no help to this post just lots of fluids, rest if you can, and time. Till you get the next bug! :o
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Nasal saline rinse. Zinc if you can have it.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    10,000 iui vitamin d3 and rest.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I swear there is some sort of process when you breastfeed that lowers your resistance to everything. I'd assume to enhance and increase the amount of antibodies supplied in breastmilk, but I have no proof just my own personal evidence. I get every cold now since I've been breastfeeding. I'm no help to this post just lots of fluids, rest if you can, and time. Till you get the next bug! :o

I rarely ever got sick before pregnancy, didn't have a cold the whole season I was pregnant and I got sick a few times while breastfeeding. I had the worst cold I have ever had while nursing and couldn't take most stuff to feel better.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    zinc
  • tbragg077
    Options
    Thank you all for your inputs!