Going commando in the gym? Ladies help please!

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,042 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wear cycling shorts to the gym ... especially if part of the reason I'm there is to attend a spinning class. And of course, no one wears underwear under their cycling shorts. After the class, I'll pull on some baggier shorts and use the treadmill, rowing machine or whatever.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I have to ask. Do most people in America use the word "panties"?
    It makes me cringe when I hear it.. That word is usually used by the most undesirable members of the community, or prison here

In North America ... that's what females wear under their pants (trousers, slacks). :)

Yeah I know what they are lol

We call them knickers or undies, never ever the P word :confounded:

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    It makes me cringe when I hear it.. That word is usually used by the most undesirable members of the community, or prison here

In North America ... that's what females wear under their pants (trousers, slacks). :)

Yeah I know what they are lol

We call them knickers or undies, never ever the P word :confounded:

To make it even more confusing, in dutch the word panty is the word for tights, or pantyhose.

Anyway, I don't really care about panty lines, but I usually do wear shorts that are a thicker cotton fabric so the lines aren't very noticeable anyway.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »

@christinev297 - wow, no idea it had that connotation in Oz! Yup, we (Canadians & North Americans) all (including kids, grandparents) say "panties" for girls' and women's underwear.

Ok :) Try as I might, I just can not get used to it.

I think I can understand :) I couldn't get used to having to be careful about a few other words that are innocent here, but are really not in other countries, lol :)

Haha there are so many

Fanny= a woman's down below anatomy

Thongs= the things you wear on your feet, flip flops

Panties, a term used by old men to young children or skeezes :disappointed:

Sorry, sorry I don't want to derail the thread :open_mouth:

I've heard that it was a really negative term.

I in regular every day conversations I would say underwear- or Dun-Dun DunNnnnsss
    (very much like in Blue crush https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE_jp_hsH5o)
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

Another Aussie cringing here. I say underwear, briefs and occasionally knickers. I know it's commonly used in the USA but the word just makes my brain go 'ick!'
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    UK here and also cringing at panties. Knickers here, or underwear.

As for VPL, it's never even crossed my mind to be honest. I couldn't give a monkeys what I look like when I workout, other than form. And, to be honest, I've never been bothered about VPL at any other time unless I've been on a date! lol

Then again, I'm not a fan of makeup either, or heels, or skirts. I'm not very good at the whole 'girly' thing, full-stop. lol
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    im in the uk and i hate the word knickers, sounds so common
    i prefer underwear or to just not mention them at all lol

i have microfibre bridget jones variety mainly for running so i can tuck a tight vest into them to try and control the loose tummy issues or i go commando
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    euronorris wrote: »
    Then again, I'm not a fan of makeup either, or heels, or skirts. I'm not very good at the whole 'girly' thing, full-stop. lol

and you know what's really interesting to me- I'm a fan of all those things- and I love doing them- and I'm GOOD at doing them.

I still don't consider myself girly. LOL I guess the older I get the more I don't associate actually doing make up and dressing up with any gender much less girly.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's what they are. Sorry English makes you cringe? Seriously though it always seems you have something negative to say about America every time I see you comment on a thread. Sorry we offend you so badly. I guess we are just undesirable haha.

In regards to OP my shorts have built in panties. I also wear panties to my pole class and even if I wore compression type shorts to the gym I'd want the extra layer between my naked body and equipment God knows who uses even though I wipe it down before I go on it.
  • jmiles81
    jmiles81 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have tried going commando, but I always feel like something is going to happen, and one time it did. Thankfully I was alone in that part of the gym at the time, but I did a jump squat with leggings on and the whole crotch ripped out, like a HUGE whole. I will never again by workout clothes from Forever 21 and I will always wear underwear. I would rather have people see my VPL then my lady bits.
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    So in the UK and Australia the term would be VUL or VKL?
  • nataliebordeauxx
    nataliebordeauxx Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm not into picking underwear out of my butt constantly, having thongs go to places THEY shouldn't constantly, or panty lines... so I'm team commando FOREVER! :p My workout shorts have a liner in them, so no bigs there... and my workout pants have a gusset, so I've had no problems. Just be sure to wash em after every workout, and you're good to go! Enjoy being FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I'm in the U.S. and I HATE the word "panties." I have banished it from my vocabulary. I use "underwear" instead.

I wear boyshorts to the gym. They give me a visible line on the FRONT of my thigh under workout capris. But I don't care. They stay in place in back (no line back there), are comfortable, and I don't have to obsess over whether my workout pants are completely opaque when my but is sticking up in the air during mountain climbers.
  • jillianedwards
    jillianedwards Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    These undies are my favorite, but when I'm working out at home or just outside running i don't wear any haha
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Thongs ;)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    euronorris wrote: »

and you know what's really interesting to me- I'm a fan of all those things- and I love doing them- and I'm GOOD at doing them.

I still don't consider myself girly. LOL I guess the older I get the more I don't associate actually doing make up and dressing up with any gender much less girly.

Yeah, it's basically drag for everyone, really. (Well, except that women are sometimes penalized for not looking "professional" (not wearing m/u) in certain environments.)

But agree, now that I'm older, I can have fun with all that, or not bother at all, or do the minimum expected in particular settings, without either stressing or feeling attached to it in terms of identity. It's just a set of tools for communication.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Victoria's Secret do seamless panties they're cut higher over the buttocks which are great for not showing VPL,or check out some of the thongs.

Yes, these are the ones I wear. They also don't bunch down and if panty lines show they are a flattering cut at least.

Yes :D That's a common word here for underwear. However, we do not use the word moist, gag, lol.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Mike02209 wrote: »
    So in the UK and Australia the term would be VUL or VKL?

nope its a vpl here, we have the no vpl underwear on sale here too
  • victoriaamarie1330
    victoriaamarie1330 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I go commando or I also have the shorts with the built in underwear as well, but even those I find sometimes ride up.I don't wear anything underneath my yoga pants and spandex.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    After a long search, I finally found 'seamless' panties that were actually invisible under clothes. Now I wear them not only to work out, but also under dresses and work pants. At first I used Jockey, but they're difficult to find and $$. I can't even link you to them because they don't show up on the Jockey site. Then I discovered a much less expensive brand at WalMart. Vassarette invisibly smooth. They come in multiple colors, and multiple cuts like briefs, hipster, and boyshort. And they're $4.

I've tried commando and I don't mind thongs in the back, but I need support in the front. With 2 pregnancies, a 70 lb loss and 25 lbs of excess weight to go, I have a lot of loose skin up front that just jiggles without containment in the front.