Running

Options
I have been running with a group for about three months now. We run a mile every morning (outdoors) as part of our warmup before out class. I have no problem with running that mile and afterwards feel like I can go more. I have been unable to get to the class for the past week so have been trying to run on my own around the neighborhood and don't even get a half mile and want to stop and walk and by the end of a mile, I want to quit completely. I have tried listening to music while I run but that doesn't seem to help our too much either. Anyone else have problems running by themselves and if so, how to you combat those problems? TIA

Replies

• ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    You dont have anyone to pace against, and are running too fast. Just slow down and you'll be fine.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Go somewhere pretty? Focus on hearing the birds? Or try to spot a deer?

It may be that without others to "pace" you that you may be running too fast and that's why you are getting winded. Try just relaxing and getting used to the activity. You can gradually experiment with speed later.

Don't get discouraged! It is a great way to get in shape.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - it's likely that you're running too fast. I've noticed that when I run on the treadmill I run between 10kph and 12.5kph depending on distance and how I'm feeling etc. When I run outside, I nearly always run far closer to 12.5kph and as a consequence often don't cover the same kind of distance I can cover on the treadmill. I say slow it down and see how it goes. You could go to this website (I think it's called jog.com but I'm not sure) which recommends music based on the speed you want to run at - that has been really helpful for me! I know that a particular song will set me off at the right pace and once I'm on pace I can generally keep going without a problem. Good luck!
  • Mandam1018
    Mandam1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I will try to slow down and see if that helps. I don't feel that I run any faster when I run solo (actually feel like I am really running a lot slower) but I will try to slow it down and see if I can still get the same distance. I know I am generally doing the mile in 10 minutes for our class so maybe I will time myself and see where I am at.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the running! That's awesome. Some good advice above. Slow down your pace. May I also suggest a walk/run strategy? Try running 5 walking 5. Then gradually move up. Run 10 walk 5. Eventually you will only be running. Then as your conditioning improves, your speed will too.

Don't worry about the anaerobic workouts (hills, wind sprints, farklets, tempo runs, whatever). Keep your heart rate at an aerobic level (try about 65% of max heart rate). N.B. A quick and dirty way to figure max heart rate is to take 220 and subtract your age. Now multiply that by .65 and try to keep your heart rate around that. If it's more like 80%, it's too high for you to maintain. Worry about that later. Here's what's cool though: if you time your say 3 mile run with your heart rate at 65%, over time you will notice that your time drops. Your level of effort remains unchanged, but you are running faster. You don't HAVE to do the sprints unless you are trying to be competitive.

Anyway, start with the walk/run strategy and go from there. Congrats and keep on running!