Clothes?

Options
when did you buy new clothes? A lot of mine are getting too big, but I still have about 15lbs to lose. I don't want to buy too much. Not exactly in the budget right now with paying for nursing school out of pocket.

Replies

• chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I go to the Care Closet, a local secondhand store in my town run by a church. Lots of rich town folk donate some really nice stuff and they sell it at .50 cents a piece, some things still with tags. That way I can get a pair or so of pants and shirts without breaking the bank while I shrink on down. I'd see if you could find something similar just to bide time.

It's sad to say that Goodwill has gotten over priced and trendy now. I rarely go to the one in town.

Looking forward to being able to buy new clothes in the normal section in a nice store!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I buy new sizes as I need them. This business of "Wear a belt!" ... I really think those people haven't actually tried wearing a pair of shorts all the way through two or three sizes. It doesn't work, is uncomfortable and looks ridiculous.

Best pair of shorts I got was from LL Bean. They had an internal adjustable waist that worked beautifully and looked good through two full sizes. They were like $50 or $60, but were worth it. I'm ordering another pair soon.

I buy a few from regular places that I like, some at Wal-Mart and some one eBay. Wal-Mart has really impressed me with the quality of their tops, which is a lot more than I can say for Kohls. I will still pick up a few tops at Wal-Mart when I'm done losing. I was wrong, all those years, to assume their clothes were junky. Really not!

The good stuff I buy gets sold on eBay when I'm done with it and I use that money to get a couple used things on eBay. So, it's kind of like getting two items for the price of one, even though one of them is used. :)
  • jbibas
    jbibas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'd say try to find a few budget items that fit you well right now, and then overhaul your closet when you reach your goal. If you wear mostly separates, look for 1-2 pairs of pants (maybe jeans and something dressier), 3 shirts (a t shirt, a blouse, and one extra) and maybe a layering piece like a cardigan or jacket. Make sure it can all be mixed and matched. If you wear skirts or dresses, maybe try to find about 3 knit dresses that will fit as you continue to shrink--I've had good success with eshakti's knit pieces, and the stretch helps things like fit. If you watch sales, Old Navy is usually good for that sort of thing, or you can hit up the local thrift store for basic pieces in neutral colors. To add variety, pick a longer necklace or a colorful scarf.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I like to shop the consignment store we have in town and goodwill. I do however like to have pants that fit well, so I tend to do a "next goal" pants and a couple pair of jeans that fit now (bought on sale with coupons new), cause I am short and most used clothes are regular length not short. I also do alot of clearance rack shopping for what fits now or what may fit in the next few pounds.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I recently bought a brand new pair of work pants thinking they would work for a couple months. They didn't fit after 2 weeks even with a belt, learned my lesson the hard way. Now I buy new clothes off the clearance racks at Marshalls, Carsons, or Macys until my loss starts slowing down a little. Sometimes I'll get something trendy from Forever 21 because it's cheap and not going to last through the third wash anyways.
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are from but in my area we have local Buy, Sell, Trade pages on Facebook that people are always posting stuff on! I have bought some clothes from there as I have gone along and the best part is you can sell your old stuff on there for money too!
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you buy clothes when it's obvious they don't fit you anymore. A little loose is okay but if other people comment that your clothes look like they're falling off, it's time.

I've fluctuated a lot in the past (before MFP) so I have a lot of clothes in my closet that are at least 3 different sizes. I'm hoping that soon I'll be able to toss out the bigger ones for good and I would suggest checking out ebay for a place to buy clothes for cheap. That'll hold you over until you get to your goal weight without breaking the bank. Also, investing in clothes that can be altered a little and still fit would be good like blazers and skirts if you need work clothes. Target and places that have sales and/or coupons are also good. And don't forget those clearance racks in the back of the store. That's where the deals happen,50-70% sometimes. Best of luck.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I buy new things when I need them, but I buy them from Goodwill or I ask for giftcards when present times come around (Xmas and birthday) and shop clearance and sales.

I do tend to skip sizes though. I wore my size 16's (a little big and baggy) until I fit into 12's. I wore my 12's (with a few exceptions for some 10's that were given to me) until I fit into 8's. It saves on having to buy dress pants in every color for every size.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    In addition to using second hand clothes stores, consider having some of your favorite/expensive pieces taken in by a tailor.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    3 things. Leggings, Tunics/Dresses, Boots. If you lost 30 or more lbs, it will fit you the same. (the tunic/dress will just get looser, which is not nearly as bad as loose pants/shorts)
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I think I'm going to wait for "summer" weather to go so I don't have to buy things for multiple seasons just to grow out of it. My pants are starting to look a little funny with the belt so tight, but it's a good thing to complain about. Size 10 is way too big now and my size 8 clothes are starting to get a little baggy. Hopefully by the time I shop I'll be a size 6 or smaller!
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I also second the leggings (or jeggings) suggestion! They have been my life saver through this!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I'm just buying a shirt and a pair of pants in my current size every month or so, mostly just so I know where I'm at, but keep wearing the baggier stuff. Most days I look at least a little like a bag lady, but every now and then, I look and feel awesome! Someday, I'll get to look and feel awesome every day.