Im shrinking but not the scale

Options
I've noticed all my clothes have gotten extremely loose but the scale isn't budging much :-/

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    If your clothes are getting loose, you are doing something right. The scale isn't everything, and it's possible you are building muscle. Have you tried using a tape measure? It's probably a more accurate tool, especially if you're noticing a difference in clothes rather than the scale.
  • carmel199
    carmel199 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Haven't used a tape measure i will do that this evening.
  • mscutup
    mscutup Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am noticing the same. Clothes are getting too big, found somethings in smaller sizes that I have not seen in a long while. I did get on the scale this morning and FINALLY made it under 200 lbs. :) I have tweaked my eating and exercise habits. I know this is a lifestyle change and not for the short term.
  • AlexanderHeyne
    AlexanderHeyne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Carmel,

I wouldn't worry about this - it means you're losing fat. This is the problem with just tracking weight - it doesn't accurately reflect what's going on, especially if you are lifting weights or doing exercise.

This is a great reason to also take pictures to verify progress, since what you see in the mirror (Progress!) might not be reflected on the scale if you're building muscle too.
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Do you have a scale with a body fat percentage? They have gotten more accurate over the years. They are still not 100% accurate but it is another measure. I haven't lost any weight the past 2 weeks but I have lost 2% body fat.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Waist circumference is more important than your weight, health-wise. See http://prowellness.vmhost.psu.edu/prevention/understanding_risk/whtr

Start measuring your waist weekly.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    carmel199 wrote: »
    I've noticed all my clothes have gotten extremely loose but the scale isn't budging much :-/

I love when that happens. And I'm not joking. That is the best thing that can happen IMO.
  • carmel199
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice everyone its very much appreciated
  • mcmorrow33
    mcmorrow33 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This happened to me too! My weight loss was only 3lbsin 2 weeks so far but I'm down a dress sizes so am pretty happy with my progress so far B)
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    It happened to me too. I kept up the exercises and logging and two months down the scale is finally catching up. :). Have patience, you are doing well.
  • Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Same here, no loss in 1 month now, but I've been doing crazy amounts of exercise and my clothes fit much better.. keep going :smile:
  • cheralee22
    cheralee22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    glad im not the only one !
  • lollyhally31
    lollyhally31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Glad I read this. I've been walking everyday, which I wasn't doing before, really changed my diet and alcohol intake and I have been quite disheartened by not seeing any loss on the scales.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problems my clothes are a lot baggier but the scales aren't going down much. But I've lost a lot of inches, fat and have gained muscle and am now really toned up. Don't worry about the scales, go by your clothing and measurements. I hardly weigh myself anymore its not worth stressing about. Good luck. :smiley:
  • jtate0212
    jtate0212 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Me too! It can be frustrating, but inches mean you are doing something right!
  • enkiemonkey
    enkiemonkey Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Haha did you read my mind? I was about to post on a similar topic this morning. I am definitely slimmer and less bloated than 30 days ago. But the scale stayed largely the same the past week (I did lose about 6 lbs since the start though but those 6 lbs came off the first two weeks). I don't really know what's happening but I assume it's also because I have lots of leg muscle and have been hitting 10,000 steps everyday so I'm retaining most of it.

If I remember correctly. A few years ago I walked by this gym that had a jelly mold of what 5 lbs of fat looked like. That thing was the size of a cat! So I just assume that maybe we are both losing fat but retaining muscle well.
  • Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I lost 6lbs in first week too *enkiemonkey* , since then nothing, but I must be gaining muscle as I'm exercising like mad!

Size of a cat.. that makes me feel better :)
  • KnitSewSpin
    KnitSewSpin Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    yep, scale hasn't moved for me in August but my clothes are fitting much better! I love it!
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    it sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat in this regard - i hit 238.4 on 8/9 (almost two full weeks ago) and i've seesawed between that number and 240 or so ever since. but i went to change clothes last night after work to go out, and ended up starting a pile of pants that are just too loose or too baggy to wear anymore. I was travelling last week, and two pairs of my favorite jeans that came with me wouldn't stay up...i could actually take them off without unbuttoning or unzipping them.

so there's something happening here...but the scale seems to be blissfully unaware of it. :)

this weekend, though, i'm going to make an extra effort to put 240 behind me for good. planning a long bike excursion and i'm moving into the gym for the weekend. :)
  • carmel199
    Options
    Wow you all have made me smile i will keep at it