Low cal but not healthy

Options
hey guys - I'm doing great with eating low calorie but something's I know those calories are empty. And suggestions to help up the nutrition while keeping low cal.

Replies

• kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    vegetables and fruit.... :|
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Eat stuff you don't consider empty?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    kspoon5 wrote: »
    vegetables and fruit.... :|

Blended together with ice and maybe a touch of fruit juice...

You could also add some milk and a scoop of unflavoured protein powder for a milkshake like texture and decent amount of protein.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Google balanced diet

Google is your friend
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    When you're ready, venture over to the meat, dairy, and produce aisles.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You can eat calorie dense, nutrition dense foods if you watch the portions. A great example is a salad dressing made with olive oil, lemon juice and spices. It's high calorie but it also is very good for you. Put between a teaspoon and a tablespoon on your greens.

The proteins are calorie dense and nutritious too, giving you the energy you need. Consider the lowly egg.

Low calorie and nutrition dense - all the vegetables, especially the orange and dark green ones.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Buy healthy foods and prepare them in ways that taste good.

Don't get sucked into the trap of thinking that only junk food tastes good, so most of your diet has to be food that you don't actually like.

The single saddest thing I ever read on MFP was "Most of my diet is healthy, but I still save room for things I like." It was said as if having most of your diet be food you don't enjoy eating was a good thing - that saving room for a little bit of food you like (which was empty-calorie stuff) was a great way to eat.

Eat healthy food that you like! Healthy does NOT mean that it can't taste good!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Nothing in a box. Shop the produce, meat and beer aisles. Beer is one of my food groups.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Stick to whole foods. Cook more. Eat more veggies and produce, limit breads. Healthy protein sources! Poultry, fish, beans etc
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables are the most important. Nutrient dense and calorie light. Ideally, half your diet should be fruits and vegetables. The current MyPlate is the smartest thing about nutrition the government has come out with.

Beans, seeds, nuts, and whole grains are also nutrient dense.
  • AlexanderHeyne
    AlexanderHeyne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein and veggies. You'll stay full if you're eating tons of chicken and plants, plus it won't be junk and sugar :-)
  • b_hodds
    b_hodds Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know it may seem like a silly question but honestly I am so new to the healthy eating scene and really just trying to do my best. I cook frequently but was never a huge meat fan. My next goal will be to find a protein that I love.
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Eat more rabbit food.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Nothing in a box. Shop the produce, meat and beer aisles. Beer is one of my food groups.

Oh for pete's sake. So no pasta? Come on. Some things come in a box which are perfectly fine.

Eat food, OP. Water is empty calorie but your body needs it. What, seriously, do you think is 'empty calorie'? Even a cookie has protein, fats, and carbs in it, which your body needs. Eat a good balance of food, have an occasional treat, and meet your calorie goals.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Don't get sucked into the trap of thinking that only junk food tastes good, so most of your diet has to be food that you don't actually like.

The single saddest thing I ever read on MFP was "Most of my diet is healthy, but I still save room for things I like."
    It was said as if having most of your diet be food you don't enjoy eating was a good thing - that saving room for a little bit of food you like (which was empty-calorie stuff) was a great way to eat.

Seriously, of all the things you've read on mfp, that statement is the saddest? Many people enjoy the flavor of healthy foods, and they also work in calorie dense "treats" in moderation. Just because you deliberately choose to misinterpret that statement, you should not spread that drivel across the forums and pretend that we all insist on eating foods people don't enjoy.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

The single saddest thing I ever read on MFP was "Most of my diet is healthy, but I still save room for things I like."
    It was said as if having most of your diet be food you don't enjoy eating was a good thing - that saving room for a little bit of food you like (which was empty-calorie stuff) was a great way to eat.

Seriously, of all the things you've read on mfp, that statement is the saddest? Many people enjoy the flavor of healthy foods, and they also work in calorie dense "treats" in moderation. Just because you deliberately choose to misinterpret that statement, you should not spread that drivel across the forums and pretend that we all insist on eating foods people don't enjoy.

the-very-best-of-the-success-kid-meme.jpg
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Examples?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    The single saddest thing I ever read on MFP was "Most of my diet is healthy, but I still save room for things I like." It was said as if having most of your diet be food you don't enjoy eating was a good thing - that saving room for a little bit of food you like (which was empty-calorie stuff) was a great way to eat.

But the French, Asian and many other Eastern countries eat that way. It'd be naive to believe all they eat is "healthy" food, even for dessert.
    So are you saying it can't be with people on MFP?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »

But pizza....comes in a box. Beer comes in a box too.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Balanced is important
    I eat it all!!

When i want high dense calorie food like pasta or pizza whatever, i eat lower calorie dense the whole day..so veggies and fruits.
    Ice cream? np problem I all fit it in...I love vegetables...i am a real rabbit lol But for sure i wont cut out my pizza/french fries donut or whatever as long as there are no medical issues...because it is not needed for weight loss to do so.