Eating out and with friends

Options
I am going to be spending a few days away from home, staying with family and friends. I've been dieting and tracking with MFP for less than a week and have been very carefully weighing and tracking my food intake.

I know I'm going to be eating several home-cooked meals and going out to a restaurant at least once. How do you track meals cooked by others? I don't feel I'm really in a position to ask for certain foods or meals and I think I will upset certain family members if I bring or cook my own meals. My family love to cook!

I have been really good and am not particularly concerned if I go slightly over my target for a day or two. I am worried, however, that if I don't consistently track my intake I might just give up when I return.

TLDR - How do you track meals made by other people? Do you estimate based on the ingredients? What about serving sizes? My nan is not going to be happy if I turn up with a food scale and insist on weighing my dinner before I eat it!

Thanks

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You could pick something from the database that sounds close and go with that. But unless you know the ingredients of what you are eating and the entry, it may not even be close. But if you feel not logging at all will cause you to give up entirely, then I'd go with that strategy. Because there is no failure except giving up.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If I can't or don't feel comfortable asking, I guess as best I can (sometimes by entering the individual components I can identify, sometimes by looking for similar items in the database). I will often add extra calories via "Quick Add" to account for any underestimation if I'm feeling very unsure. I realize that it's probably going to be off, but I prefer tracking something to nothing.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Estimating with an entry you find in the database is better than not logging at all! It might not be accurate, but it will give you an idea where you're at. If you really want to be accurate, ask for the recipes when you can. Put them in your recipe collection and then add it to MFP. If you're asking your nan for a recipe of something she makes, she'd probably be flattered. She doesn't have to know it's because you want to log it, and if it's something you like, you'll have the recipe when you want to make it for yourself.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You could pick something from the database that sounds close and go with that. But unless you know the ingredients of what you are eating and the entry, it may not even be close. But if you feel not logging at all will cause you to give up entirely, then I'd go with that strategy. Because there is no failure except giving up.

This is my advice exactly. I would also add that if you're exercising, keep a reserve of calories for the day to offset just in case your estimate on calories is off.

• loldiz
    loldiz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you all...I was thinking that estimating and using the database to find something close would be better than nothing, it's great to hear it confirmed!
    dubird wrote: »
    If you're asking your nan for a recipe of something she makes, she'd probably be flattered. She doesn't have to know it's because you want to log it, and if it's something you like, you'll have the recipe when you want to make it for yourself.

Ooh clever! Fabulous idea, thank you.

• loldiz
    Options
    2wise4u wrote: »
    I would also add that if you're exercising, keep a reserve of calories for the day to offset just in case your estimate on calories is off.

Another fantastic idea, thank you so much! I will be out and about so I should have plenty of calories!

• earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I take along a measuring cup and find the closest match in the database.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with eating more on some days and less on others. If you indulge for a few days, you eat less for a few and it all works out in the end. I don't think it's a disordered way of eating...because it isn't. Many perfectly healthy do it.

So, I'd eat what they made. I'd eat healthier items when I could and turn down anything that was truly bad for me, but if it was something I could eat, I'd eat some and work it off later.

So long as overeating isn't the habit, it's okay to indulge here and there. Not everyone can eat exactly the same amount of calories every day. No biggie.

As far as the logging - I just guess.
  • loldiz
    Options
    Thanks everyone, you have helped me put my mind at rest. Lots of good advice, I appreciate it.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If I'm going out to eat with friends or someone's house I eat until I'm comfortable and take it as a pass. Little bit of dessert. No extra snacking or drinking a bunch of pop like I usually would. Same for holiday dinners
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I pick something from the data base that sounds close enough and add 10% more calories (unless they are extreme health nuts then I know the calories are pretty accurate)