How long without losing is truly a "plateau"?

Options
Hi All,

I am going on two weeks with no weight loss. Only days I have been above cals is 2 days last weekend (and it's not like I went crazy..it was still mostly on the good side..like I ate out but still no desserts or anything).

I have had some remaining calories because when I do "workout" it is usually a 20 minute dance/cardio workout from exercise TV or a brisk walk, so after hearing MFP overestimates calories burned and I don't have an HRM yet, I don't eat them all back. I do try to stay around 1200 minimum.

Is there anyone out there who has had over 40 pounds to still lose and hit a plateau at 10-15 pounds when the losing was going well and you haven't changed anything? I have lost 14 pounds since end of March and can't get to 15! I don't want to call this a plateau and start worrying too much or start eating more, as I know some suggest, if my body is just readjusting and I need another week to start losing again.

My diary is open... it is certainly not perfect but compared to what I used to eat, it is amazing to me.
No, I haven't taken measurements but since I am not working out a ton, I can't imagine I am building muscle at any huge rate. My clothes are not fitting differently or anything.. just seem the same.
(and I know I shouldn't be so scale dependent, but I am, sorry. I know I am healthier and all that jazz and am still happy for that.)

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I was at a plateau from Sept 2010 to May 2011. I was okay with it since I was at my original goal weight of 150lbs. However, in May I decided to raise my calories and what do you know? I dropped 4lbs. Now, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.

I would say anything more than 3-4 weeks is considered a plateau. Try changing up your diet, add more calories, workout more .. anything DIFFERENT to confuse your body.
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    Have you gotten the MFP message about "You've lost more than 10 pounds....Etc" ? You may have to go in a readjust your settings. I find that I have to do it every few weeks. I just changed them again so we'll see how it works. Good luck!:happy:
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did this, but I still have so much to lose it didn't change anything.
    I have it set to lose 2 pounds a week but really it doens't let me go more than 1.4 because it won't deficit below 1200.
  • babs23
    babs23 Posts: 86
    Options
    Listen to Jillian Michaels' podcast called "Debunking the Plateau"

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-jillian-michaels-show/id418368811

She has a lot of great things to say about the reasons why we plateau, and it's helped me a lot.

In a nutshell, you have to find your consumption "sweet spot" and it has to do with not only calories, but electrolytes and exercise as well.

Good luck!

PS - she also talks about PCOS in that webcast. Listen to the salt podcast too!
  • d_smith85
    d_smith85 Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm down almost 45lbs in the last 5 months. I'm paranoid to hit a plateau, but I've been pushing my workouts harder and harder. I do find I'm automatically eating more then I was before. I only eat when I'm hungry, but I tend to be hungier these days. I started with "Slim in 6" which is a moderate intensity circuit training dvd series. Then I turned up the volume and did 12 weeks of Turbofire, with HIIT, I think that really helped me avoid a plateau and kept my metabolism revved up. Now I'm doing Insanity, its insane... lives up to the name. I do find I'm hungier lately. I eat about 1400 calories a day, sometimes more. I'm hoping that when I'm done insanity, I can do p90x and the weight training with be enough of a switch for me to avoid a plateau. Then training for a half marathon in the fall. Keep things moving upward and forward :) good luck chicka!
  • kcleslie2113
    kcleslie2113 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've hit a plateau as well. I lost 50lbs last year... and I've lost 13 since I started on my fitness pal.. I just can't seem to get past the plateau. I've tried mixing it up, subtracting calories and adding calories. So confused/frustrated!
  • julsofdenial
    julsofdenial Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    So you think more exercise?
    Why does this have to be so hard!? lol... what about calories in<calories out.. should that just work.. all this zig-zagging and eat less, eat more, exercise less, exercise more, shock your system! Seems like it should be a tad bit more general. Especially for those people still in the Obese category.