Bored of same old meals... Need inspiration

bfit172
bfit172 Posts: 32 Member
lunch and dinner meals that are nutrient rich but go beyond boring grilled chicken with a side of veggies blah blah blah.

In other words... What are some of your favorite dishes that are on the healthy side but still delicious? I feel the annoyance with eating healthy is that I feel everything I eat will be bland. I know that can't be true but I just need some ideas.

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    My list for batch cooking and upcoming meals is:
    Some kind of turkey chili
    Chicken/zucchini nuggets
    Turkey/zucchini meatballs
    Enchilada stuffed peppers
    Crockpot chicken cacciatore
    Jalapeno popper soup
    Sausage and vegetable soup
    Creamy Italian chicken/tomato soup
    Eggplant and zucchini rollatini
    Thai red curry
    Meatza
    Some kind of casserole that I haven't decided yet

You may want to browse some healthy eating recipe blogs for ideas
    www.skinnytaste.com
    www.cookinglight.com
    www.slenderkitchen.com
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Tofu tacos! Hard crumbled tofu browned in coconut oil with corn, black beans, canned tomatoes, cilantro, onion, garlic, and your favorite taco seasoning. I eat it in a romaine lettuce leaf with a bit of cheese and quark.
  • bfit172
    My list for batch cooking and upcoming meals is:
    Some kind of turkey chili
    Chicken/zucchini nuggets
    Turkey/zucchini meatballs
    Enchilada stuffed peppers
    Crockpot chicken cacciatore
    Jalapeno popper soup
    Sausage and vegetable soup
    Creamy Italian chicken/tomato soup
    Eggplant and zucchini rollatini
    Thai red curry
    Meatza
    Some kind of casserole that I haven't decided yet

You may want to browse some healthy eating recipe blogs for ideas
    www.skinnytaste.com
    www.cookinglight.com
    www.slenderkitchen.com

Thank you! And I'm glad that the meals you posted seem like things I would try :) Im a bit cautious when it comes to things that are foreign and I can't pronounce ... Not trying to be rude to those who like international dishes, they're just not all for me and seem overwhelming to find all the ingredients
  • Ultima_Morpha
    White Bean Chicken Chili

Great Northern beans, chicken thighs or breast, carrot shreds, cilantro, onion, garlic, chicken stock seasoned with cumin.
  • bfit172
    Tofu tacos! Hard crumbled tofu browned in coconut oil with corn, black beans, canned tomatoes, cilantro, onion, garlic, and your favorite taco seasoning. I eat it in a romaine lettuce leaf with a bit of cheese and quark.

Is there a substitution for the tofu you'd recommend? I can't stand the texture - I haven't had it often but when I have I didn't care for it
    Thank you!
  • bfit172
    And what is quark and meatza? I know I could google it but I'm already here lol
  • Ultima_Morpha
    bfit172 wrote: »

Is there a substitution for the tofu you'd recommend? I can't stand the texture - I haven't had it often but when I have I didn't care for it
    Thank you!

Well, I guess you could use lean ground beef, turkey, or chicken. I've also used diced chicken breast or thighs.

I pressed and drained the tofu overnight and browned it really well. Mixed with everything else, the texture is very ground beef like.
  • bfit172
    White Bean Chicken Chili

Great Northern beans, chicken thighs or breast, carrot shreds, cilantro, onion, garlic, chicken stock seasoned with cumin.

That just might have to be my dinner tomorrow, that sounds delicious!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Sometimes it helps to venture out by first buying a protein or a vegetable I haven't had before and google or pinterest a recipe. Lunches are easy peasy. I have leftovers from the night before. Sometimes I put it in a wrap to change it up a bit.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited August 2015
    We often make tacos with just lean meat - we usually do ground turkey because it's cheap, but an extra lean ground beef or shredded chicken or even fish works. Whatever you like.

Meatza is basically a pizza with a ground meat crust instead of a traditional crust.

Quark - I don't think they sell it in the US, but if they do, I've never seen it!

What do you like to eat?
  • bfit172
    I like things that would be I guess considered traditional American dishes. I'm a fan of slow cooker dishes or stir fries because you can combine tons of veggies with protein in a usually easy to make meal with lots of flavor.

My favorite ingredients would be...
    Cilantro
    Chicken prepared any way
    Shellfish
    Rice and pasta but I'd like to limit the pasta
    Quinoa
    Basil
    Hot sauce on everything lol
    Most veggies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I imagine the traditional American dishes would include hispanic themed meals? Do you like pitas and flatbreads? How about eggs? Eggs really extend your choices. Onions? Do you like onions?

Cooking styles to try include braising and roasting. I'm guessing you've got sauces, baking and frying figured out.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    These are some of my favorite recipe blogs/websites. Some are already pretty healthy and include the NI, others have good recipes that can be modified easily. I make a lot of what are kind of like casseroles but not in a gross cream of mushroom soup kind of way. Basically some kind of combo of meat, grain, veggie and good sauce that I can throw together easily and pop in the oven after work.

emilybites.com
    skinnytaste.com
    damndelicious.com
    gimmesomeoven.com
    laaloosh.com
  • Ultima_Morpha
    And what is quark and meatza? I know I could google it but I'm already here lol

Quark is a German cheese with a yogurt like consistency. It is less tangy but has a nice amount of protein (same as Fage Greek yogurt) and little or no fat. I really like the plain as a sour cream substitute. The flavors? Not so much. I buy it at Target in Texas.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    lunch and dinner meals that are nutrient rich but go beyond boring grilled chicken with a side of veggies blah blah blah.

In other words... What are some of your favorite dishes that are on the healthy side but still delicious? I feel the annoyance with eating healthy is that I feel everything I eat will be bland. I know that can't be true but I just need some ideas.

how about some beef...pork...chicken...fish, etc. a variety of marinades and/or spice rubs is great. I grill pretty much every night...I have chicken only maybe once or twice per week.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Zucchini Pizza Bites

Thick cut rounds of zucchini topped with a bit of pizza sauce, slice of mushroom, reduced fat pepperoni and fresh or grated mozzarella...then broil until cheese is melty and browned. I like my zucchini to still have some texture.
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Zucchini Pizza Bites

Thick cut rounds of zucchini topped with a bit of pizza sauce, slice of mushroom, reduced fat pepperoni and fresh or grated mozzarella...then broil until cheese is melty and browned. I like my zucchini to still have some texture.

I made these on my grill the other day. So good. I also make zucchini boats.
  • bfit172
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I imagine the traditional American dishes would include hispanic themed meals? Do you like pitas and flatbreads? How about eggs? Eggs really extend your choices. Onions? Do you like onions?

Cooking styles to try include braising and roasting. I'm guessing you've got sauces, baking and frying figured out.

Yes all that sounds good to me! I like Hispanic and Asian dishes just nothing too fishy