How do I incorporate weight lifting?

Options
Hello. I started MFP about 2.5 weeks ago. Fell off the wagon so to speak for about 5 days but I have still lost 4 pounds. I have no problem doing cardio. I workout at the gym 5 days a week for 35 minutes and hike or walk on the weekends. I also take a pleasurable walk in the evenings. I know I need to add weight lifting to loose weight, among other health benefits. I am at a loss where to start. I have read many different opinions and agree that exercises are most beneficial if they are not done in isolation but how do I do that? Also, does that mean I still do my 35 minutes of cardio putting me in the gym for over an hour? I am so overwhelmed.

Thanks for the help,
Candie

Replies

• McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    There are several beginner workouts out there (stronglifts, starting strength, NROLFW, You are your own gym, etc...) Do some research, see if any of them sound fun. Most weight programs especially for beginners are not going to be 5 days a week. Most will be 3, so if you still WANT to do cardio, I've just always done it on my off days. So for me, I lift MWF and run TRS.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Troll through bodybuilding.com, muscleandfitness.com, etc and find new workout ideas. Come up with a gameplan. Decide if you want to do splits and work certain body parts on certain days or if you want to do full body circuits. Personally I wouldn't be doing 35 min cardio on lifting days, but if you absolutely feel you need to make sure you do it after you lift. I usually do cardio on non lifting days and if I do any cardio on a lifting day it's 5-10 minutes of more interval type.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    There are several beginner workouts out there (stronglifts, starting strength, NROLFW, You are your own gym, etc...) Do some research, see if any of them sound fun. Most weight programs especially for beginners are not going to be 5 days a week. Most will be 3, so if you still WANT to do cardio, I've just always done it on my off days. So for me, I lift MWF and run TRS.

I'm with this guy.
    Do a nice structured beginners program that has progressive overload. Preferably a full body one, because those require less training days than splits and focus on the main large muscle groups (which burns more calories). On those days you wouldn't have to do cardio, but you can if you want either after lifting or at a different time of the day.

The first three McCloud mentions are all in that category and use weights. (I'll want to add strong curves to the list since that is my personal favorite)
    You are your own gym is a bodyweight program, but also full body progressive overload.
    All of those are very suitable for a beginner. I also agree in googling all mentioned programs and pick one that appeals most to you.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I use New Rules of Lifting for Women and I love it (YouTube videos of the exercises if you don't know what they are)...also bodybuilding.com is a great resource. Just google and read a lot! My favorite people are Alan Argon, James Fell and Omar Isuf if you want nutritional, science based information.
  • jyambor
    jyambor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Research, research, research. Also google "why women should lift" explains some of the health benefits as well. And youtube videos helped me as well. Take your time at first, its about form! If you are not using proper form you will do more damage than good.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    there are numerous, structured beginner programs out there. New Rules of Lifting for Women is a good place to start...my wife started there and then did Strong Curves...after a few years of lifting she now uses New Rules Supercharged which provides templates listing the type of movement, but lets you pick the variation...kind of like programming your own routine with a little guidance to make sure you're not missing anything.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. I hope to check them out today and tomorrow.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    The gym you go to, do they offer 1 free session with a personal trainer? If so, take them up on that!