Weight lifting for pre-teens

Options
Hey all,

So I've recently begun a basic weight training routine using free weights. I know about proper form and how to tell how heavy of a weight to use. My 13 yr old nephew wants to join me doing the routine and I was wondering if there is any special advice or rules or concerns for someone his age to be weight training ? I will be sure to explain proper nutrition and post workout snacks. Also if he signs up for MFP, will his calorie allotment take into consideration the fact that at his age growth spurts are common and (I would assume) he would need more calories to support them?

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure any of us are qualified to advice on this.
    I suggest to discuss it with his doctor first to be sure.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    my 13 year old son lifts with me, I just make sure that he isn't lifting as heavy as I am. I also make sure he understands nutritional value and the importants of drinking lots of water. He loves the squats, lunges and body weight exercises that I do, but he also loves to deadlift. He doesn't lift as heavy as I do, and I make sure he's ok with that because it's not a pissing contest. I also take my 16 year old nephew with me, and he has a hard time lifting less than my son, but I stress that it's progression not competition. I don't calorie count for them, but I let them know the macros and calories that they're eating. My son has become quite good at grocery shopping and reading labels. He hasn't hit his massive growth spurt yet, and he has football for 2.5 hours 5 days a week (we only lift during the off season), so I tell him that as long as his food choices are healthy then he will be fine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Kids do resistance stuff all the time. Tree climbing, running full speed, climbing monkey bars, etc. Personally, I first work on things like pushups and pullups with perfect form before engaging in any weight resistance exercises.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    MFP is for 18+. There is a similar site called SparkTeens which is geared towards teenage nutrition.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, there is nothing wrong with letting a kid lift weights. Just make sure you watch them closely. Kids have a huge tendency to ego lift rather than using good form. As far as MFP goes, I don't think counting calories is a good idea for a kid that age. You may want to read Starting Strength, or have him read it. I would imagine he could really benefit from the gallon of whole milk a day that Mark Rippetoe suggests to help build muscle.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately he won't be able to use MFP as it is for 18+... SparkTeens is an alternative.

I would recommend consulting your doctor - but as long as you supervise his lifting and make sure his form is correct then there shouldn't be any detrimental effects. Unless you somehow break a growth plate during lifting, then there shouldn't be anything wrong.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that lifting really young has disadvantages and some research studies has shown it to slow growth. I wouldn't recommend it, except body resistance stuff. I see too many young kids in the gym lifting lately.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    My understanding is that lifting really young has disadvantages and some research studies has shown it to slow growth. I wouldn't recommend it, except body resistance stuff. I see too many young kids in the gym lifting lately.

Link if possible? I'm interested in this.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I don't want him hung up on calories either but I want to make sure he's eating enough. The family isn't really active or into fitness much and while I think getting into a good routine is great, I don't want too much focus to be put on weight or looks or anything but rather just a healthy lifestyle. I think he may be on a bit of a self induced diet and I was hoping that tracking things would help him make healthy food decisions and also encourage him to eat enough of the right things instead of being too restrictive. The weights we are starting out with are really light (5-15lb) so I think that I can really build the emphasis on good form and consistency before we get into a place where too much weight is a problem.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

Link if possible? I'm interested in this.

I'd like to see it too please
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    To be honest, I always thought that 'weight lifting will stunt your growth' was a myth... I was told that if you somehow damaged ligaments, tendons etc or growth plates, then obviously... that would have repercussions later in life.

I'm not entirely sure.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

http://fitnessbaddies.com/should-my-kid-lift-part-1-the-science/
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Citation?

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

http://fitnessbaddies.com/should-my-kid-lift-part-1-the-science/

Thank you! My 12-year-old has been really wanting to go to the gym with me (and they just lowered the minimum age to 12) and I was concerned about his growth if I let him. This article has a lot of the info I needed, and I'm sure reading the other parts will answer a lot more of my questions!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Tell this to all the young starters (5 year to 10 year olds) who participate in things like gymnastics, swimming, martial arts, pee wee football, ballet, etc. Lots of the moves are explosive and high impact. Lifting is just using resistance with a designated movement. Same thing with a lot of the above activities.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I always thought that 'weight lifting will stunt your growth' was a myth... I was told that if you somehow damaged ligaments, tendons etc or growth plates, then obviously... that would have repercussions later in life.

I'm not entirely sure.

Old myth. Resistance training so good for children and often very good for those involved in athletics. You can help strengthen muscles involved in movement which is a very good thing for not only performance but implications for improved injury reduction.