Why is my appetite changing?

Options
I am over 2 months into my new lifestyle changed. I started 3/31. Recently though in the last 4 days or so i have been eating around 1500 calories and i am still finding myself hungry this only happened in the very beginning of changing everything. I've been drinking more water between 8-10 glasses a day. I recently started using crystal light packets and i don't know if those can cause the hunger issues.

What should i be doing? If you look at my diary i eat around 1500 calories which i though was plenty all though i am allowed 2080 i think. I don't know why my appetite is changing 2 months into this. I also had gallbladder removal May 5th not sure if this has anything to do with this though. Any opinions?

Replies

• SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    are you burning more calories?
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am slightly off topic but you really should be eating all your calories if that is how much the site has calculated for you!
  • panda0920
    panda0920 Posts: 29
    Options
    It sounds like your burning started out burning great and because fat burning mode does take a lot of energy. Your system may be playing catch-up and now needing more to sustain the high, over-gear burn mode? I would experiment daily with your calorie intake while watching fat, carbs, etc. Calories are heat units, rather than an object that makes up fat, so eating something with higher caloric value might help.

I wish I could be more help.
  • mowrynation
    Options
    Artificial sweetners interfere with the body's ability to recognize real food and could be making you more hungry. I have just found someone local here that grows and Stevia, I will be contacting him. It is awesome and is NOT the same as what you can get in the stores either, tastes SOO much better.
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Try incorporating less 'empty' calories like baked chips and skinny cow with snacks like apples or oatmeal. I eat a pack of oatmeal or a banana before I leave work so I am not ravenous by the time I walk in the door from work.

Also, if I am hungry at night I make a Whey Protein shake (Pure Protein, 25g of protein per serving), curbs hunger and helps you get to sleep, but only Whey protein (http://www.extremely-fit.com/fitness-tips/2011/01/8week-transition-diet/).

But keep up the good work!! Everyone feels the pains of hunger from time to time whne they are making changes to their eating habits. I hope you can find a trick to curbing yours like I have, although it is not fool proof, it does make a difference.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My appetite fluctuates depending on where I am in my cycle. Every month I notice that I have one hungry week, one unbothered week and two normal weeks. I didn't notice this when I was eating a ton of cals before I started my diet but I certainly do now! If I am starving hungry I will allow myself an extra healthy snack as I find there are still times of the month when I can go a few days here and there when I'm totally unphased by food. I wouldn't worry too much about it and maybe just track how your appetite feels in your diary. If it persists for more than 10 days or so, have a word with your doctor about any implications from the gall bladder surgery. Good luck!
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    When you reduce the amount you eat you also become more in touch with your hunger and you KNOW when your body wants fed. Depending on activity i was pretty low calorie day and although i can't remember what i had for supper i added 2 cups of watermelon and that didn't do it. I ate 1/4 cup of pistachio's and that didn't do it then i ate a cold chicken leg and then i felt my body was satisfied. I didn't eat all three at once but over a period of an hour. Activity also affects your bodies demand for food. Bottom line is if i'm physically hungry, I EAT (sensibly) of course.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I see that you are WAAAYYYY below your allowed calories every day. Plus you don't eat breakfast. I think if you could add in some breakfast and eat closer to your alloted calories, you won't be nearly so hungry.
  • AliceMpls
    AliceMpls Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi! I've found that eating non processed fruits and veggies really helps. Or soups! I used to eat Lean Cuisines a lot for lunches and I was always famished about an hour later. Now if I bring leftovers or have soup for lunch along with an apple I am full for a lot longer for the same amount of calories or less. I try to pump veggies or fruit into every meal I have. They both have fiber and high water contents which help with staying full. Protein is also important for staying full as well. Hope this helps!! :)