How do I log calories from weightlifting?

Options
I am new to MFP and am wondering why my calories don't show up from my exercises.

Do I have to look them up and manually add them? I have other peoples diaries and noticed calories burned is displayed for excercises performed.

Replies

• jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Generally, you do burn calories weightlifting but it's not much. You should only worry about calorie burn counting when you're doing cardio excercises. The aim of cardio is to burn calories, the aim of weigtlifting it to build muscle, so they're two different things.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    You definitely burn calories from weightlifting, but MFP logs them in a weird way.

In addition to adding your exercises under strength training (which is mainly just for your benefit), you have to log them under cardiovascular, as well. Click add exercise and type in 'strength training'.

I'd definitely double-check the number it gives you though. It told me that I was burning 500+ calories when I was actually burning closer to the 350 mark. Also, you can log any stretching you do as well, if you want a more accurate calorie assessment.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Add "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" to Cardiovascular to get estimated Calories burned added to your Diary. Please note that the Calories burned for Cardiovascular exercises provided by MFP are based on published metabolic equivalent of tasks (METs), which are estimates for a general population and may differ for you as an individual. If desired, add individual strength training exercises, such as "Biceps Curl," to Strength Training to have a log of sets, reps, and weights as individual exercises.

Please see these articles in the list of articles on this topic in the MFP Help pages...
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/11170-why-don-t-you-calculate-calories-burned-for-strength-training-
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/topics/455842-exercise-diary-and-exercise-database/articles
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Go with 100 per hour and call it good. Unfortunately, there isn't a tool made for personal use that can accurately track calories burned during strength training.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    As a matter of course, I divide whatever MFP says I'm burning for any activity by 2. They seem to be ridiculously overgenerous in "calories burned".
  • newrider43
    newrider43 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok that really helps me out. Thanks so much!
  • jnoegrah
    jnoegrah Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    weightlifting does burn considerably less than cardio, unless you aren't resting between sets. Get a heart rate monitor and that should give you a better idea...