Sushi - estimating calorie content, healthiness

Options
bkate24
bkate24 Posts: 73 Member
1. Given that sushi preparation varies so much from restaurant to restaurant (e.g. I've had massive maki (rolls) and tiny ones . . . even variation in how much avocado, etc is in each roll), is it even possible to effectively estimate/log calories in sushi if you're not eating at a chain restaurant?

2. I always thought of sushi as a healthier option (as long as you pick the sushi that are more about fresh ingredients and not full of mayonnaise, shrimp tempura etc), but is this really true? I always figured sushi aren't fried (again, unless you get maki that are full of fried stuff etc), come in a way smaller serving than most restaurant meals, and are mostly just like fresh fish, tiny amounts of rice, and seaweed.

Are they a lower calorie option compared to the standard burger and fries? Because the database seems to have no idea and now I'm doubting myself.

Replies

• bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately don't have a decent answer for you, when I have sushi (which is probably more than I should), I count it as a "cheat" or "indulge" day and estimate using the data base the best I can.
  • bkate24
    bkate24 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I guess that's what I'm doing too! I didn't intend for this to be a cheat day : (
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I stick to sashimi ( no rice ) and an occasional cucumber based roll-- with no mayo based sauces.