Is a rest day mandatory?

Options
I've been on my weight loss journey for just about 60 days and have lost 23 pounds. I haven't gone one day without cardio. Is this detrimental to my body? I've heard yes and no. Help!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Rest day is awesome and gives your body a chance to rejuvenate and your muscles a chance to repair. WTG on your loss.
  • Curleegurlee22
    Curleegurlee22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I wish I didn't feel guilty taking one day off.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Depends on your intensity each day...a "walk" day is a rest day for me while other days I work out too much (according to others on MFP). I never plan rest days, they just pop up every now and then when I do not feel well or if I get busy. If that happens, I do not feel guilty for taking a day off.

I wouldnt worry about it, unless if you are forcing yourself to workout even though your body is tired/you are sick/you are injured, etc. (Basically, are you becoming obsessive and working out comes before everything else in your life, sacrificing your health/wellness to workout, unable to quit)

Speaking of injuries - you are more likely to become injured if you do not take rests.
  • nicediva007
    nicediva007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't think non-stop cardio is a bad thing. I'm a runner (I use that loosely; I've run several half marathons and other long races) and have read about many "streakers"; people who don't miss running a mile a day for their entire lives. A lot of men and women swear by it and many are long-lived and still reaping the benefits of daily cardio.

From what I've learned, the rest day is more for those who are actively building muscle and/or are increasing their cardio intensity constantly so they don't plateau. Don't forget that cardio is more about heart health; it's just fortunate that cardio work is also affects metabolism. Focusing on heart health daily is not a bad thing. But, if you are building muscle (like cardio combined with cross fit, or some heavy lifting), it's best to let the muscles groups have time to repair themselves. Otherwise you open yourself up to injury which would definitely dampen your style.
  • strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A rest day is good for you. If you feel like you want to do something do some stretch exercises. Just something to loosen up the body that really doesn't get your heart rate going.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't think non-stop cardio is a bad thing. I'm a runner (I use that loosely; I've run several half marathons and other long races) and have read about many "streakers"; people who don't miss running a mile a day for their entire lives. A lot of men and women swear by it and many are long-lived and still reaping the benefits of daily cardio.

From what I've learned, the rest day is more for those who are actively building muscle and/or are increasing their cardio intensity constantly so they don't plateau. Don't forget that cardio is more about heart health; it's just fortunate that cardio work is also affects metabolism. Focusing on heart health daily is not a bad thing. But, if you are building muscle (like cardio combined with cross fit, or some heavy lifting), it's best to let the muscles groups have time to repair themselves. Otherwise you open yourself up to injury which would definitely dampen your style.

To be fair, successful "streakers" are people who usually have a really good base to start with. People who a short run is "rest" compared to their usual regime.

My running club does a 100 days of running thing every year. The most successful ones are the ones I described above

"Rest" doesn't have to be nothing at all. Many people do "active rest" like walking or something lower intensity than their regular workout. But you shouldn't feel guilty about taking a day either.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yes, for sanity sake. It helps repair your muscles too!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I would burn out without a rest day
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    People say its bad, but I've yet to have anyone who is in a position to give me advice say that it's bad to exercise every day. I don't take them. I'm not against them for others. I just don't need them.

A day that doesn't begin with swimming is a day that I won't feel my best, so I do it every day unless it's like 35 degrees out (and sometimes even then.)
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    It is mandatory when your muscles need repair and when you're injured. Cardio every day is fine, but if you push yourself really hard one day, consider whether your muscles need repair time. If you're doing cardio at a level you have sustained for a while, no problem. I get antsy on rest days, but I have a fresher attitude when I go back after missing it. It's more mental for me, FWIW.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thanks! I wish I didn't feel guilty taking one day off.

rest should be a planned and part of your overall fitness regimen just like the workouts themselves...rest is where you body repairs and you make fitness gains.

Note that "rest" doesn't necessarily mean you sit around doing nothing...it is rest from vigorous/strenuous activity. I still go for walks on my rest day...I have a 3 and 5 year old...so my rest days are often spent chasing them around at the park, etc. Sometimes I do some yoga. What I DON'T do on a rest day is lift weights or go for training rides/runs, etc. You can still be active on a rest day.

You also have to consider the intensity of the work you are doing...context is important. Someone who's doing 30 minutes on the elliptical or something as their workout probably isn't going to have issues...someone going out and training for a marathon or century ride or something...well, that's a different animal.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    How much cardio. Like 30 mins or 2 hours?

Heart rate high?

I would think just for sanity sake and to give your body a break, a rest day is probably good.

But I wouldn't say it's necessary unless your pushing yourself very hard every day.
  • Curleegurlee22
    Curleegurlee22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do at least 45 min of cardio everyday. Usually 6 miles on the elliptical trainer.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Hard hard do you work out? I lift 3x a week. I have to take a rest day or I wouldn't be able to lift at the same heavy weight.

I run when I play ultimate. I could probably do that every day if my legs held up (I actually don't know as I've never tried). However, I have to imagine that you would need rest days if you ran a marathon every day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I think if you do heavy weights you definitely need rest days between same body part workouts and ideally a whole day off a week. Similarly, although I could run a mile every day, or a light 3 if I thought that was worthwhile, and I might walk or even swim (more casually, not a hard workout) or do pilates on an off day I think an off day from intense cardio is also needed every week or so.
  • gemdiver00
    gemdiver00 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that the heart is also a muscle and it needs time to recover.
  • jswede1149
    jswede1149 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You have to rest your body. It needs time to repair and heal. I rest from Friday to Saturday night. I am refreshed t o go on Sunday.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    It comes down to listening to your body. If you are working out while you are sick.. No good. Most coaches agree with the idea of periodization of training. Hard days followed by easy days or rest. Some people respond better to active recovery than taking a rest day.

How do you know if complete rest is needed? If you don't start feeling much better during your workout or if you have that sense that your legs are lead pipes and it doesn't improve or gets worse during a workout.

The risk to not taking rest days and doing intense cardio while dieting is it causes a great deal of stress. Too much stress can result in adrenal fatigue...or overtraining syndrome . I promise you that is going to suck if you get it. Takes months to recover.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If your intensity isn't high probably not necessary. I definitely notice when I don't take a rest day. If you run a mile every day (so what 7-9 minutes for most people?) probably not a big deal, but if you're running a lot and pushing yourself for distance or time or lifting weights your body needs some time off. Unless you like over use injuries. I perform much better with a weekly rest day.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Rest days are good for the body and soul but not mandatory.