Anyone Pre-diabetic

Hi, My name is Tanya. I am pre-diabetic. Can anyone suggest any meal plans or a cookbook or a website to get good recipes to choose from? I struggle every day trying to figure out what to eat. Any help would be grateful. Thanks.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I've been pre-diabetic, type 2, and now in remission. The whole process from end to end lasted over a decade. I've been to tons of classes. The very first thing I was shown was the diabetic plate which got me used to thinking about getting all my macros (fats, carbs, and proteins) in to every meal in proportion. The second thing I got used to was eating on a schedule. That helps down the road to learn your patterns of what works and what doesn't.

tumblr_lxjhhzCOJD1r89y38o1_500.png
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Here's my list of portable snacks that I learned to keep on hand.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/mid-day-snacks-722504
  • trhoney
    trhoney Posts: 8 Member
    edited August 2015
    Hey there! Thanks for that! I will definitely print out your snacks. I am snack eater and have no control. :-( This will help. I was also gestational diabetic with both of my boys but the diabetes didn't stick, so i lucked out there.
  • khristiana
    khristiana Posts: 131 Member
    I strongly suggest you watch the documentary Forks over Knives.

I'm pre-diabetic as well, and since converting to eating whole food plant based meals, I feel incredible and it's only been 2 weeks! I'm eager for my next doctor visit with blood work so I can see how good my levels are, and I know they will be.
  • trhoney
    I will! Thanks for the suggestion. (Just watched the trailer on you tube. Craziness.)
  • MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    I'm prediabetic as well and still trying to figure it all out.
  • Jojomendez1
    Jojomendez1 Posts: 6 Member
    I am prediabetic :neutral: and I'm trying to lose weight to join the military. If I am pre diabetic does that means it never goes away?
  • Qewtypants
    Qewtypants Posts: 8 Member
    I am also prediabetic and am trying to avoid medication in the future! It's tough trying to manage on diet alone at the moment but the more I learn the easier I think it will be :)
  • trhoney
    I am prediabetic :neutral: and I'm trying to lose weight to join the military. If I am pre diabetic does that means it never goes away?

You can reverse it. It can be turned around. Less carbs (as well as sugar intake) and lots of exercise. 20 minutes of exercise helps a lot. I also have hypothyroid and my doctor was always telling me to exercise for at least 20-30 minutes for a "brisk" walk help the metabolism process move the food from turning into fat. And thats true. I guess what I should of added to my question at the beginning is that I'm also a personal trainer, but looking for some different types of recipes to change things up. (Sorry everybody, but thanks for encouragement!)

Good Luck in the military!
  • msharrington315
    msharrington315 Posts: 199 Member
    edited August 2015
    I was prediabetic when I weighed over 400 pounds. I had to check my blood twice a day. I still remember the day the doctor gave me the monitor and how nervous I was initially about pricking my finger. I never got to the point of needing medication. To date I have lost over 200 pounds and my blood sugar is back to normal.

So, yes, it can be reversed, but I imagine every's case would be different.
  • trhoney
    I was prediabetic when I weighed over 400 pounds. I had to check my blood twice a day. I still remember the day the doctor gave me the monitor and how nervous I was initially about pricking my finger. I never got to the point of needing medication. To date I have lost over 200 pounds and my blood sugar is back to normal.

That is awesome! Way to go! You are an inspiration to others! Keep up the great work!

It can be daunting when they hand over the monitor and everything else that goes with checking your sugars. I was gestational diabetic with both of my sons and had to take insulin. I was very lucky that the diabetes didn't stay with me afterwards. But I'm not perfect (even as a PT) and can fall off the wagon from not eating right, but its scary when the bloodwork results come back and you are at the point of being diabetic. At that point, you have to make a choice....to live healthy or not. Living healthy seems like a better option.

• Jojomendez1
    Jojomendez1 Posts: 6 Member
    I'm relieved of cannbe reversed :) im watching what I eat and working out really hopeful to be non diabetic in near future
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    trhoney wrote: »
    Hi, My name is Tanya. I am pre-diabetic. Can anyone suggest any meal plans or a cookbook or a website to get good recipes to choose from? I struggle every day trying to figure out what to eat. Any help would be grateful. Thanks.

I was pre diabetic ...should speak with your doctor about this, I am no longer diabetic at all, haven't been on medication for years now.
  • trhoney
    I'm relieved of cannbe reversed :) im watching what I eat and working out really hopeful to be non diabetic in near future

:-) Just keep getting your A1C checked by your doctor.
  • trhoney
    edited August 2015
    trhoney wrote: »

I was pre diabetic ...should speak with your doctor about this, I am no longer diabetic at all, haven't been on medication for years now.

Thats awesome that you have been off of medicine. I have talked to her about different ideas. She suggested to find community groups online or recipe cookbooks. I just don't want to go spend money on something if someone can suggest something really good or tried. :-)