Question for the larger (or previously larger) MFP women

Options
So how heavy is too heavy for the 30DS, or Zumba, or things of that sort? And/or do you have suggestions for some of those DVDs that are still somewhat hardcore, yet still doable or modifiable for those of us who are still on the large side? I'm talking the high 200s...

I recently started C25K, and though I loved it, it was just too much for my knees to take right now. I'm looking forward to picking it back up when I've lopped off another big chunk of poundage, but I want something else that I can alternate with the elliptical workouts in the meantime.

Both strength training and cardio input appreciated. Netflix On Demand accessible a HUGE bonus, but not a requirement. Many thanks... :)

Replies

• kat05317
    kat05317 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in this as well. I also have the 30DS dvd but am afraid to start it at my weight. (mid 200's).
  • symphonika
    symphonika Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When I first started to get into exercising I bought the Biggest Loser Cardio Max, and also Bootcamp. They're both pretty much cardio based but they have different levels and always show different modifications. The DVDs are fairly cheap too.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm over 200 and tried Turbo Fire...it was too hard on my knees....so I am sticking to lower impact cardio on the elliptical and will try again when I am in ONEDERLAND.

Can't wait!
  • brandi2258
    brandi2258 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am just over 300 now and doing 30DS. I love the workout, and I am also looking to do something else along side it. I would say give it a shot, and see. You can also modify the exercises if you can't do them until you get more comfortable/able to do them.

Don't know if that helps any... but good luck!!
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi i'm mid - high 200s and i go to zumba classes and love it - yes i may get very sweaty and have trouble keeping up at times but i enjoy it very much, i'm sure u would love it too.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you try it and see how your body does.... There is some jumping and bending of the knees. There are modifications for some of the moves but you know your body best. :wink:

I plan to start next week and do it everyother day. I tried it before and only got through level 1 (the first 10 days) of it straight since I was training for a run and I thought that was "more" important.
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Can't say much about 30DS, since I bought it like two months back and don't really like it. (Sorry, don't hit me :-P). But Zumba I started at 220 lbs and had no probs at all. Down to 160 now and still loving it.
  • searbear1980
    searbear1980 Posts: 110
    Options
    I just started 30ds yesterday only made it through 6 minutes because I need a better bra but other wise I will be continuing. It is hard but it is still doable and she offers modified exercises for most of the moves. I am 285 so I think it is possible. Good luck!
  • holli_walker
    holli_walker Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    i don't know if you have a ps3/xbox 360/wii but there is a game called ea active 2. i am a larger girl and the game really helped me get back on track and lose weight again. i really suggest it cause there were several exercises i couldn't do at first. now after modifying it i have now worked up to were i can do all most everything even with a bad shoulder. :) hope this helps!!!
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is great. You can burn a lot of calories and it is low impact, won't hurt your knees, just your fat.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    30 DS has modifications, and I have to use them sometimes too. There's no shame in doing it whatever way gets you through. Jillian's attitude seems to be that you should do as much as you can and the trick is to just keep going so that you'll see results.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    My sisters and cousins (most of whom are larger) love Zumba. It's tough, but you modify it to what you CAN do. I'm not a class taking kind of person-I'd rather be by myself at least for now-but if that is something you would enjoy, then go for it!
  • Tereztaylor07
    Options
    I did the 30DS video every other day with the modifications for awhile. I never got past Level 1. I just recently committed to doing it straight thru this month.

I also alternated workouts with Jackie Warner. I have two of her workout videos. Each one is broken into three parts (arms, legs, core). I would do elliptical/cardio one day, then strength training for a body part the next day and kept rotating. Jackie Warner's DVD "Power Circuit Training" has no cardio or jumping, just fast paced strength moves. I found Jillian's stuff a bit intimidating at first, but I could do almost everything in Jackie's workout and still be dripping when I was done.
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    I've been in the early mid 200's. I didnt start Zumba until recently (at 160lbs or a bit more) but I think it might be suitable.

Zumba might be hard on your knees but you could modify it (and any dancing activity) - no jumps, low-impact. There are 20 minute versions of the routines for first set of Zumba dvds and on the Zumba Wii game as well (not sure whats in the new set though).

Billy Blanks Boot Camp is tough but I thought the first routine seemed pretty 'knee kind', especially if you did it without resistance bands.
  • Susan_Marie67
    Susan_Marie67 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as OP. I tried the 30DS and found it was too hard on the knees. I'm looking for something lower impact and I find that Leslie Sansone's Walking dvd's are good. I wanted to try the Slim In Six dvd. I am wondering if that is something a larger woman (upper 200's) could do.
  • CCJ13
    CCJ13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    c25k was too hard on my knees in the beginning. I was 270lbs when I started exercising. I was around 230lbs (I think) when I started Power 90. I couldn't do 5 girl push ups when I started. Now I can do boy push ups. I had to modify moves & there are still some that I have to modify sometimes. After 4 kids, I can't do too much jumping around or I'll pee all over the floor. lol So I think you can probably do anything you want to, you may just have to modify some moves.

ETA: I also do Zumba & love it. I just take a break if I need one. I usually just do the 20 minute DVD.
  • Imsojen
    Imsojen Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the 270s and I am doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I wont tell ya its easy, she is kickin my *kitten* a little but its do-able for sure. Im only on part 1 for a few more days and already its easier. Part 2 has me scared a little but im determind to make it.
  • dusk1977
    dusk1977 Posts: 295
    Options
    Hi there
    I am in the mids 250s, I currently do zumba on the wii at beginner level and love it. I also do a Tae Bo workout DVD and a DVD called Pump it Up (an intensive aerobics workout). I love them all and even when I can't get the moves right I just keep moving to burn calories.
    Angie
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I was in the 270s when I first started my quest for Healthy Living last August. First thing I did when I joined here? Started Zumba twice a week. I'm not saying that it was easy my first few classes but I was a dancer from ages 3 - 17 so it's what I love. Between Zumba and healthy eating I have slowly been able to take the weight off.

When you call about classes just make sure it is a beginner class - the other classes I found difficult especially since they don't break down dances as much - it's mostly jump in and figure it out!

good Luck.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I think most of that is do-able, even at a higher weight. You might just need to modify parts that put a lot of pressure on your knees.

I was doing C25K & 30D Shred at the same time, about 2 weeks in I thought my knees were going to snap with every step....so I had to cut back. But looking back, if I had modified some things, I could have probably avoided my knees getting so bad.

I think Zumba is great all the time. I haven't done anything in Zumba that bothered my knees (except jumping, which the instructor I had told us to just march in place during those parts if we had bad knees....and I was still burning almost 1000 calories).

I'm at 237 now, started at 272.