Low carb breakfast

Options
breakfast is a serious struggle for me. I am vegetarian and lactose free. I struggle with breakfast because everything is such high carbs. I'm looking for a better way to start my day. Any ideas?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I usually have a 2-egg vegetable omelet -- about 200-225 calories (depending on the size of the eggs and the vegetables I include and without the feta I add). 9 carbs in that today, mostly from broccoli.

I also usually have some other source of protein (mostly dairy or smoked salmon) and fruit with it, but you could leave out that bit.

My alternative breakfast is built around steel cut oats, but there are obviously many more carbs in that one.
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Do you eat eggs still? If so, egg whites are easily the best option. I also make protein pancakes - using mostly protein powder, some eggs, and a little bit of pancake mix and almond milk! If you use mostly protein powder it keeps it fairly low carb.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My usual breakfast is 2 eggs, coffee with coconut cream from a can, and an unsweetened protein powder. It's about 1 g carbs.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    make an omelette
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yoghurt w walnuts and berries added yum 1 of my favourites
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    kvansteen wrote: »
    breakfast is a serious struggle for me. I am vegetarian and lactose free. I struggle with breakfast because everything is such high carbs. I'm looking for a better way to start my day. Any ideas?

That is a problem that many of us have @kvansteen

Over the last 10 months I have evolved into a 1300 calorie breakfast. Organic coconut flakes for about 200 calories, 200 more from almonds and a cup of coffee with about 600 calories from coconut oil (5 tablespoons) and 200-300 calories from heavy whipping cream (36% butter fast for those outside of the USA) plus a boiled egg covered in salt.

The heavy whipping cream is No carb and should have little to no lactose but if you back that and the egg out you still have a 1000 calorie breakfast. Just cut the ratio of any item or remove any item totally to hit the macro/calories that works for you should you wish to try my example.

When I cut out food with carbs like sugar and grains to keep my carb grams<50 daily I made up the carbs with fats and held the protein to 70-100 grams.

This is working for me because my goal was to control my arthritis pain with diet only and no meds and I was very successful. One side effect is weight loss which is helpful in my case. Another side effect was 40 years of daily life defining IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) started to resolve after 3 months and was totally gone after 6 months and has not returned.

Best of success and thanks for the example you are setting for others.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    An orange?
  • Weirdistonni
    Weirdistonni Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Personally me and breakfast don't like each other but when I do eat breakfast I usually eat a banana or some toast with jam
  • kirstym1108
    kirstym1108 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about eating tofu for breakfast?
  • coco_bee
    coco_bee Posts: 173 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Scrambled egg, add onions, broccoli, mushroom, tomatoes, tofu so it fills you up. Prepare veg night before so you can quickly whip it up in the morning.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to eat low carb on top of those other restrictions? I'd like to learn the medical reason. Thanks.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Lots of people are used to eating high carb/mostly carb breakfasts with little protein, and that can make it tough to meet your overall macro goals, so it could just be that.

But OP may have other reasons too.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've made these all week and really enjoyed them! Carbs come from the berries but if you leave the berries and use a lactose free yoghurt to top it you'll have an awesome breakfast! I made them on Sunday for the whole week and have lasted really well so useful to bring to work too.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/berry-omelette
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I normally just have a black coffee, but the omelette suggestion is a good one. Or maybe a protein shake?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Why do you need to eat low carb on top of those other restrictions? I'd like to learn the medical reason. Thanks.

Why does there have to be a medical reason to eat low carb? Maybe it's a weight loss reason!!

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Keep some food from the day before because one does not have to have traditional breakfast food.
    Made baked eggs in muffin pans that you can reheat in the mornings.
    Also, Chia seeds in soy milk that you let set in the fridge over night.

Here is a pancake made from chick pea flour:
    http://ohsheglows.com/2013/09/15/jumbo-chickpea-pancake-a-high-protein-filling-vegan-breakfast-or-lunch/
    iaq6o4rv36j4.jpg
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Quinoa porridge (not especially low carb but high in protein than oatmeal)
    Protein smoothies - there are non-dairy protein powders available and can be mixed with milk alternatives
    Tofu scramble
    vegetarian sausages
    non-dairy yoghurt
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Personally me and breakfast don't like each other but when I do eat breakfast I usually eat a banana or some toast with jam

Three types of sugar. I guess you missed the "low carb" in the title.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm also not a breakfast person anymore (it helps me to say in my calorie goal to just skip it entirely). Before I decided to skip, I also would do relatively low carb breakfasts. I stopped caring about "breakfast" food and just ate food I liked. I'd eat really large salads; just eat whatever you like that works with your schedule.