Is it just me??

Options
trimom63
trimom63 Posts: 351 Member
Or does EVERYone experience this too? Almost EVERY day I exceed my sugar amount no matter how "clean" I think I'm eating!! I look at what I've eaten and, gee, V8 juice has a good chunk of the sugar allowance...yogurt has a big chunk of my sugar allowance...Kashi cereal has quite a bit...a single piece of fruit exceeds it alot!! I keep thinking I'm eating pretty good, then my sugar intake exceeds the amt recommended....maybe that's my check and balance?

Replies

• Hezz1
    Hezz1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have noticed it and I ignore it.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I go over on sugar every day, but I eat a lot of low fat dairy and fruit. others may have different opinions, but natural sugars in plain milk (and unsweetened yogurts) and fruit are ones I don't keep as close a count on- they are natural and come with fiber and nutrition. It's the added sugars I try to avoid.

HTH.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I just started ignoring my sugar. I figure I don't have any health reasons to be watching it, and I know a few people on MFP who are usually over on their sugar and they have lost a good chunk of weight (like 80lbs). If its coming mostly from good things like fruit, yogurt etc. I would just ignore, its only a problem when its from things like ice cream and Hershey bars. lol
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yes, I noticed that right away. It bugs me that I can't differentiate between added sugar and natural sugar. I eat a lot of fresh fruits, veggies, and whole grains, but the default settings aren't set for that type of diet, so I customized my sugar and fiber goals to reflect the way I eat.
  • etjaneausten
    etjaneausten Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Almost every processed food has sugar in it. On the label you can identify it by the ending 'ose' (sucrose, dextrose, maltose...) and, of course, in High Fructose Corn Sirup. Honey also is a sugar.

If you start looking at the labels, you will find that even salty foods such as potato chips and mayonaise contain sugar.

The best thing you can do for your calorie intake and cravings, is to stick as much as possible to unprocessed foods - the items you will find on the 'outside' of the supermarket.

You are doing the right thing by checking into your food diary. Good luck with your lifestyle changes!!!
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I finally took sugar off my tracking list and added calcium instead- I really only wanted to keep track of the "bad" sugar- like candy/doughnuts, and got ticked off that I was over my daily sugar after a glass of milk and an apple! If it bothers you, just get rid of the sugar and keep track of something else....
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the amount of sugar in the foods. Just try to eat more whole foods and few processed foods. If you're getting a bunch of sugar from candy bars, then you might want to worry about your sugar intake. Otherwise, sugar intake is a non-issue.
  • trimom63
    trimom63 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Glad to know I'm not the only one here noticing that!! It just bugs me because I feel like I eat well (not that my scale will notice that!!) and exercise, but just hate to see something like sugar constantly be over!! I think that's probably because I have a huge sweet tooth and am, for the most part, denying that tendency...so when I constantly DO that and see that I'm still over...weeeeelllllll....you know the story!!

I like the idea of customizing the goal nutrition....I'm typically WAY under in carbs and over in protein, sugar, and fiber. I hate how it looks like it's a bad thing to be over on protein and carbs with the red numbers if you go over the "limit"!! Oh, just visual things, I know, but at the rate I'm going, I need all motivation I can get...like GREEN numbers!! heh, heh!!
  • fireyes
    fireyes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Same. Sugar is the only thing I go over, and usually it's been twice as much or more. I wish there was a separate quota for natural sugars, because almost *all* of my sugar comes from fruit. Don't worry about it. :)
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Me too. Virtually no sugar (this is new for me) comes from SUGAR but a lot of it is in fruit which I am eating. A BANANA has a ton of sugar. SIGH. I am ignoring it but trying to only eat "natural" sugar in fruit and veg.