I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Palmeralex wrote: »
    One day isn't a big deal, it's 0.0027% of a year.
    ahem
    0.27%, forgot to drop move the decimal when converting to a percent. Point remains the same, its an insignificant amount of time.
    p3mc0bj2y8ga.jpg

Incredible story! It has inspired me to try as well!
    Looks like you've already made some massive progress!!!
    Super, man! I’m a 54 year old, 63” disabled female veteran whose blood sugar was at 455! I want to lose fat to go from 228 to 150. (I am very muscly under my fat.) I work 59 hours weekly, and NEED to exercise at home so I have time to check my blood sugar, eat right, and rest. I’ve been eating for life and tracking my diet for two weeks and consistently at 1600 daily. My exercise is high intensity interval exercise and calisthenics to accommodate my foot and shoulder tendinitis. I lost 5 pounds so far. Perhaps a can do PX90 when I am stronger and less fat. Any recommendations? Please speak “English”. I don’t know what cuts and 5x5, and other terms mean. If you tell me to lift, please tell me how much to lift, and how many times, etc.
    My recommendations would always be lifting in a gym, with barbells, doing a 5x5 beginners routine (google will fill you in if you don't know all of the terms). Because you can't access a gym, and because it seems like you have chronic injuries, something like p90x is probably okay to try. You may have to modify it based on those injuries but that's something you'll have to decide as you go.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thanks you for your advice. I goggled 5x5 and will begin lifting asap!
  • ShapingTheLaw
    ShapingTheLaw Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    mfm143 wrote: »
    I hear that ^^ -- I too use it mainly for the good stuff- as in how many chocolate chips REALLY make up 125grams? Weighing organic spinach is pointless as really you can never have too much spinach - Lol - my protein bars/ brownies are as follows:

4 tbsp cocoa powder ( try to use best quality)
    1 cup almond flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 scoops Whey protein powder ( depending on which brand you use, macros may change)
    1/2 cup 0% fat Greek yogurt
    1 tbsp espresso powder
    1/2 cup chopped pecan halves
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    2 eggs

** if batter is too dry add a lil more yogurt or applesauce

Combine dry and then add wet ingredients - place in a 9x9 baking tin. Bake @ 350 for 25-30 min until toothpick comes out clean. Yields 12

Macros per 1 bar/brownie :

154 total cal

Fat 9.5g
    Carbs 10.5g
    Protein 9.7

Sounds yummy and easy! Thanks SO much for sharing it! I'm gonna try this fir me and my kids. I'll probably substitute with Stevia though because I'm still leaning out. Thanks again :)

• SonOfCulbert
    SonOfCulbert Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For a fat guy (5'10, 270 lbs) who is trying to get his life together, this thread is UNREAL. Thanks for answering all of these questions and keeping this thread active. I'm looking forward to changing my life and achieving a fraction of your success!
  • CurvesCreations22
    CurvesCreations22 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    Great job! !!!
  • jee_nee_us
    jee_nee_us Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss journey in March 2015. My starting weight was 251 lbs and now it is 193.6 lbs.

I now realize that i took a wrong approach towards weight loss , have eaten only 1400 calories on average and did a lot of cardio (mostly only walked a lot for first three months). I didn't do any strength training , I wanted to but I was worried because I broke my arm in an accident in september 2014. I feel that i have lost a lot of lean body weight as well along with the fat. I still have a lot of fat in my hips , abdominal and chest areas.

I have started SL 5x5 three weeks ago and for around a month my weight loss is on stall. I am eating around the same and hitting my cardio goals consistently as well. Does strength training have anything to do with weight loss stall? If not , what could I do to go past this plateau ?
  • xenyen
    xenyen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Congratulations, that's an amazing transformation. What do you think are the top 5 things that led to your success?
    5. Learning as much about the science behind nutrition and dieting as possible. There is more pseudoscience and myths in this field then any other on earth! So much BS to cut through to find the truth.

So what is the truth? What would you advise to someone seriously starting out on fitness?
    Thanks!

And by the way, aside from the beautiful physcial transformation, I think the guts and courage it took to make it happen is just as amazing!
  • ShapingTheLaw
    Options
    Vismal, I enjoy coming back to this thread. I really like your "ask me anything" approach. I have a couple of questions about your leaning out phase: 1. Did you or do you carb cycle? Why or why not? I am considering doing so but I'm on the fence about it. 2. What's with the foam rolling craze? My time is limited at the gym because my kids' gym daycare time is limited, so I go from 10 mins of warmup right into strength training. Prior to and after each set of exercises, I stretch A LOT to lengthen my motion and prevent injury (I am in my late 40s), But I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something by not "foaming". What's your take on the foam rolling?
  • vismal
    Options
    jee_nee_us wrote: »
    I started my weight loss journey in March 2015. My starting weight was 251 lbs and now it is 193.6 lbs.

I now realize that i took a wrong approach towards weight loss , have eaten only 1400 calories on average and did a lot of cardio (mostly only walked a lot for first three months). I didn't do any strength training , I wanted to but I was worried because I broke my arm in an accident in september 2014. I feel that i have lost a lot of lean body weight as well along with the fat. I still have a lot of fat in my hips , abdominal and chest areas.

I have started SL 5x5 three weeks ago and for around a month my weight loss is on stall. I am eating around the same and hitting my cardio goals consistently as well. Does strength training have anything to do with weight loss stall? If not , what could I do to go past this plateau ?
    Strength training can cause water retention for the first few weeks you do it. If the stall continues past a couple more weeks, you are stalling because you are eating too many calories. If you feel your calories are low enough that it shouldn't be an issue, than the problem is most likely accuracy of calorie counting. Almost everyone is eating more than they think they are, some of us are eating A LOT more than we think. This thread will help fix that problem: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101
    xenyen wrote: »
    Congratulations, that's an amazing transformation. What do you think are the top 5 things that led to your success?
    5. Learning as much about the science behind nutrition and dieting as possible. There is more pseudoscience and myths in this field then any other on earth! So much BS to cut through to find the truth.

So what is the truth? What would you advise to someone seriously starting out on fitness?
    Thanks!

And by the way, aside from the beautiful physcial transformation, I think the guts and courage it took to make it happen is just as amazing!
    The truth is found in science. Losing weight in the long run is 100% about creating a calorie deficit. If you eat less calories a day then you burn, you will lose weight. There is no other way to do it (save amputation or liposuction). Any diet that "works" does so because it created a calorie deficit. There are ways and strategies to make creating that deficit easier, and ways to organize your protein, carbs, and fats to maximize fat loss and minimize lean tissue loss, but the fact remains, that if you eat in a deficit you will lose weight, and by the same token, if you are not losing weight, it's because you are not in a deficit. This is stone cold, scientific fact, not my opinion.
    Vismal, I enjoy coming back to this thread. I really like your "ask me anything" approach. I have a couple of questions about your leaning out phase: 1. Did you or do you carb cycle? Why or why not? I am considering doing so but I'm on the fence about it. 2. What's with the foam rolling craze? My time is limited at the gym because my kids' gym daycare time is limited, so I go from 10 mins of warmup right into strength training. Prior to and after each set of exercises, I stretch A LOT to lengthen my motion and prevent injury (I am in my late 40s), But I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something by not "foaming". What's your take on the foam rolling?
    I did not carb cycle. The reason I didn't is because it isn't proven to do anything at all. If you prefer to do it for personal preference that's fine, but it will not affect results in any way beyond compliance. Foam rolling is great but I'll be honest, I don't do it much. I was better about it when I had endless amounts of time on my hands, but these days, I don't get around to it much. It can also help in injury prevention and shorten recovery time. It's something I should probably get back into the habit of doing.

• ShapingTheLaw
    Options
    Thanks for your honest response on carb cycling. It's good to know that you were still able to lean out so well without carb cycling. As for the foam rolling my time is pretty limited at the gym, so I think I'll pass. Take care now!

• bb1lopez
    bb1lopez Posts: 81 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Wow... well done. I can't see even an inch of fat anywhere. I've only just started dieting again :(
    I wanted to ask about the loose skin, but I see someone has already beat me to it.
    Add me, I really need the motivation and support.
  • bship15
    bship15 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation! No questions at this time as they have been asked already!
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    A bunch of questions today ...sorry

1. How important is it (ICF 5x5) to do the exercises in the order they are listed ( squat, bp, row, etc) is it possible to group heavier exercises together and vise versa for light exercises - w/o adverse effects?
    2. (Beginners) is it ok to increase weight every workout week as opposed to every day? Side note: I have found that I have been able to progress daily for some workouts while others I have been stuck at for an average of 3 wo days or more (i.e. I've been @55-60lbs squats for a couple weeks b/c I've been trying to perfect my form before ++ weight - I have mobility issues due to left knee issues -can only do 1/2 squats**
    3. ** are there any stretches you could recommend to increase my mobility/rom?
    4. I've been reading conflicting info on dl's reporting that while building weight -( starting at low weights) you can do more that 1x5 without Cns stress? What are your thoughts on this ?

Thanks in advance
  • vismal
    Options

1. How important is it (ICF 5x5) to do the exercises in the order they are listed ( squat, bp, row, etc) is it possible to group heavier exercises together and vise versa for light exercises - w/o adverse effects?
    2. (Beginners) is it ok to increase weight every workout week as opposed to every day? Side note: I have found that I have been able to progress daily for some workouts while others I have been stuck at for an average of 3 wo days or more (i.e. I've been @55-60lbs squats for a couple weeks b/c I've been trying to perfect my form before ++ weight - I have mobility issues due to left knee issues -can only do 1/2 squats**
    4. I've been reading conflicting info on dl's reporting that while building weight -( starting at low weights) you can do more that 1x5 without Cns stress? What are your thoughts on this ?

1. Thanks in advance
    I would do the program in the order it's written as best as possible. If equipment at the gym is in use, then I would move on to the next exercise and move back. A few notes: Try to never deadlift before you squat, try not to military press before you bench. Do not do isolation movements before compound movements. Things like benching before squatting or rows before bench should be fine though.

2. It's fine to slow down the progression. As a beginner you will be able to progress even in a calorie deficit, but the program is written with someone in a surplus in mind. For that reason, adding weight as infrequent as every other workout might become necessary as time goes on.

3. For mobility check out Joe DeFranco's "Limber 11. Should be plenty of YouTube videos.

4. For some programs that would be appropriate. For ICF while in a deficit, it's not. I simply do not believe in modifying beginner programs unless you cannot do an exercise due to equipment availability or injury.
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    Options

1. Thanks in advance
    I would do the program in the order it's written as best as possible. If equipment at the gym is in use, then I would move on to the next exercise and move back. A few notes: Try to never deadlift before you squat, try not to military press before you bench. Do not do isolation movements before compound movements. Things like benching before squatting or rows before bench should be fine though.

2. It's fine to slow down the progression. As a beginner you will be able to progress even in a calorie deficit, but the program is written with someone in a surplus in mind. For that reason, adding weight as infrequent as every other workout might become necessary as time goes on.

3. For mobility check out Joe DeFranco's "Limber 11. Should be plenty of YouTube videos.

4. For some programs that would be appropriate. For ICF while in a deficit, it's not. I simply do not believe in modifying beginner programs unless you cannot do an exercise due to equipment availability or injury.

Thanks this was very helpful
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump.. This thread is simply too good to let it get buried.

I'm nearing 80lbs lost because of it. @vismal's the man!
  • timetobefreefromfatprison
    Options
    What did you set your calories at when you started MFP?(.5,1,1.5,or 2)
    Do you feel they are a healthy amount?
    I started July 8 at 281 and set it for 2 pounds which was 1290 and I felt hungry with that amount so after a few weeks changed it to 1.5 which gives me 1540 and I seem very satisfied with. I exercise 5x a week but right now only on elliptical due to knee issues.
    Can you give any suggestions for lifting with just hand weights? I have 3,5,8,10 and would like to try to incorporate them into my routine.
    As of today I'm 267 and looking forward to having my own transformation pictures one day.
    I agree with the many times I read you say I'd rather have loose skin and hide it under my clothes than stay this obese!
    Thanks for any help or suggestions you can give me.

BTW your transformation is amazing!!!
  • MatthewRecord
    MatthewRecord Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hey Vismal, I'm only about 18 pages into this thread but your combination of honesty and knowledge is a Godsend. Thank you.

A few questions and apologies if they were asked somewhere in pages 19-58:

I'm very, very heavy (BMI of 39) and even THAT's after about a month of tracking my calories and having lsot about 11 pounds. You mention that your greatest regret is not weight-training so I have begun a 5x5 regimen as you recommended (this one, in particular http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw56.htm). I do it pretty closely to the way it was recommended (minus the traps and calves focused exercises). Anyway, the recommendation is to increase the weight of each exercise five pounds a week but since I'm cutting at around 2050 calories a day (and likely will be for the forseeable future), I'm a little worried about the long-term implications of those weight increases. I've never really been a lifter and I don't necessarily trust my instincts with regard to knowing when to throttle back and knowing when to push harder.

So to the questions:
    1) In this early period of weight loss even as I'm weight lifting, I shouldn't be expecting big strength gains beyond a brief, initial shock to my system, right?
    2) If (1) is correct, isn't consistently increasing the weight kind of a bad idea since I'm really only maintaining current lean mass instead of developing new? Is there a point where I shouldn't keep pushing the weight until that far in the future moment where I'm trying to bulk up again?
    3) Am I misunderstanding the mechanics at work here?
  • TeeC56
    TeeC56 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How big was your stomach before you lost the weight? Is it really possible for a heavy guy to get his stomach flat like you seem to have done lol
  • vismal
    Options
    Hey Vismal, I'm only about 18 pages into this thread but your combination of honesty and knowledge is a Godsend. Thank you.

A few questions and apologies if they were asked somewhere in pages 19-58:

I'm very, very heavy (BMI of 39) and even THAT's after about a month of tracking my calories and having lsot about 11 pounds. You mention that your greatest regret is not weight-training so I have begun a 5x5 regimen as you recommended (this one, in particular http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw56.htm). I do it pretty closely to the way it was recommended (minus the traps and calves focused exercises). Anyway, the recommendation is to increase the weight of each exercise five pounds a week but since I'm cutting at around 2050 calories a day (and likely will be for the forseeable future), I'm a little worried about the long-term implications of those weight increases. I've never really been a lifter and I don't necessarily trust my instincts with regard to knowing when to throttle back and knowing when to push harder.

So to the questions:
    1) In this early period of weight loss even as I'm weight lifting, I shouldn't be expecting big strength gains beyond a brief, initial shock to my system, right?
    2) If (1) is correct, isn't consistently increasing the weight kind of a bad idea since I'm really only maintaining current lean mass instead of developing new? Is there a point where I shouldn't keep pushing the weight until that far in the future moment where I'm trying to bulk up again?
    3) Am I misunderstanding the mechanics at work here?

Before I answer your questions, I took a look at the 5x5 from the link. I absolutely hate it. 5x5's should be 3x a week total body. The way things are split into 4 days and what body parts are trained when makes little sense to me. I would strongly suggest you change to ICF 5x5 or stronglifts 5x5. To your questions:

1. You can make fairly decent strength gains when you are new to lifting. I typically tell beginners to run the program as written with progression as suggested for at least the first three months. After that, you can maybe cut the progression in half. At the 6 month mark, you can cut the 5x5 back to a 3x5 if you are still in a deficit. 5x5's are meant for people in a surplus so the longer you remain in a deficit, the less volume you should be doing due to impaired recovery from lack of calories.

2. Strength is gained both by building more lean mass, and through neurological pathways and adaptations. While lean mass gains will be small if any in a deficit, you can take advantage of the latter factor. As a beginner I would say you could gain strength for at least a year in a deficit. The gains will come quicker at first, and slow down as time goes on. Eventually you'll need to slow progression and reduce volume as I talked about in question 1. After about a year of training, if you are still in a deficit, you might find that strength maintenance is all you can achieve. This is okay though.

3. see questions 1 and 2 :smiley:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!