Google Fit App

Options
Does anyone on MFP use the Google Fit App? Does it sync with the MFP exercise and food diary?

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I use it but only as a way to sync my fitness apps together (Endomondo and Withings sync to it). It also tracks my steps and gives me a nice summary of my activity. I also have an Android Wear watch (Moto 360) that works with.

It will be interesting to see if Google enhances it. Right now it is pretty basic.

Between MFP, Withings (scale), Endomondo, and Google Fit I think I have everything pretty much covered. :D
  • camellia127
    camellia127 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It does appear you have it covered!
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Is the Google Fit app giving a calorie adjustment the way the FitBit app does? Can I use a Moto 360 to replace my FitBit for this purpose yet?
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Google Fit does not sync with MFP. Consider it a good general purpose "control panel" for your life.

I use a Garmin GPS running watch for running (duh) and cycling; this directly updates MFP from Garmin Connect. I also allow Strava (which has a large community - many of my MFP friends are on Strava too) to receive the Garmin data and Strava has a link with Google Fit such that those activities are not double reported on my phone.

Mostly I use Google Fit to keep an eye on my activity on non-running / non-cycling days (which are rare, I generally run 6 or 7 days a week). When I first started running I used just my Android phone to track and Fit was more important to me then as a motivator. I'm well past needing motivation now.
  • dewd2
    Options
    It does track steps and calories. I have no idea how accurate it is (I pay little attention to it). I use it mainly because it came with the Moto 360. I can't compare it to anything else since I have never tried Fitbit or similar.

For running I use Endomondo on my phone (it also syncs with Fit and MPF). I have a cheap Pebble watch for for the display since the battery in the 360 won't last the entire 2+ hour long runs. Also, I can actually see the Pebble when the sun us bright.
  • pml87
    pml87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Integration is NOW available !!! Go and sync ! :)
  • gillza
    gillza Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How?
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    gillza wrote: »
    How?

Exactly...how? I initially got rid of the Google Fit app because it wouldn't sync with MFP. When I saw this thread and saw someone say that integration is now available, I redownloaded the app, but still no syncing or integration was possible.

Perhaps I missed something. Please let me know.
  • dewd2
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It is not ready yet (according to the MFP help site). It worked for one night and hasn't worked since.

I started using Google Fit much more since that post I made in August. I find it does a great job of tracking my steps and it keeps a nice record of stats. It syncs nicely with Endomondo and my Withings scale. All that's left is MFP.

BTW - Try the integration from the MPF app on Android. It does not show up on the MFP web site.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    If it syncs with Endomondo, and I have my Endomondo app setup to sync with MFP, with the Google Fit data that's synced with Endomondo ultimately sync with MFP?

Please let me know if my question makes any sense.
  • dewd2
    Options
    No idea how it will work. Fit knows not to count my steps twice when I run with Endomondo so I hope MFP is as smart.

The one time it did add to my exercise made almost no sense (something about running, walking, or pushing a wheelchair). This is probably why they aren't 'officially' supporting Fit yet.