Slim fast buddies

Options
emma2224
emma2224 Posts: 3 Member
Hi all,
I have 2 children and just started slimfast yesterday. Looking for friends to stay motivated with, does anyone else fancy it?
& if anyone has any slim fast success stories please share.

Replies

• MaraOfNaamah
    MaraOfNaamah Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm also starting with slim fast. I would love to connect so we can motivate each other!
  • lokizmo
    lokizmo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use Slimfast as well. I used it about a 4 years ago, and I'm using it again. I prefer it actually
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    SlimFast is pretty low quality and definitely not necessary for weight loss. If you must use meal replacements, there are better options out there.
  • vangeenunn
    vangeenunn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What other options do you suggest?? @hornsby
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No thanks, I prefer to eat food. Has worked well, lost 45 pounds eating good food.
  • runintherace
    runintherace Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started slim fast today. Thought I would give it a shot. I need to get my weight under control. Maybe we can motivate each other?
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I never found drinking calories very filling. I don't think this is sustainable. I suggest getting a food scale and being in a calorie deficit for weight loss.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Try it if you must but I did slim fast for six weeks and it made me REALLY ill...cramps, headaches, dizziness...ugh!! plus as soon as I went back to eating real food I put the weight straight back on.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Why not just calorie count and exercise more? Slim Fast is an ok alternative, but you can eat real food for breakfast and lunch and still lose weight. I have bacon almost every morning, Oreos with my lunches, etc, and have lost weight every month this year. If you like spending your money on it, then don't let me stop you. However, is that weight loss going to be sustainable when you switch to a normal meal?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    vangeenunn wrote: »

Slim Fast has way too much sugar and powdered fiber.....you add most of the protein (in the form of milk). I tried Slim Fast years ago....I was always hungry. This is really low quality stuff.

If you want to go the shake route look at reviews (GNC Lean Shake is highly rated).

You could make your own shakes - start with milk or yogurt, add some high quality protein powder, a handful of spinach (for fiber) some fruit for flavor (and more fiber) and peanut butter (or other fat source). There are tons of smoothie recipes out there. But you are looking for more than just protein.

I totally agree with RedBeard....meal replacements seem like a simple solution, but switching to normal meals (eventually) will give you the tools necessary to maintain the weight you lost.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Well done you getting back in to a healthy way of living :)

Saying that, I'm not a fan of Slimfast or any 'shake replacement' diets. That's what they are - diets. You can't keep this up in the long term, it's not realistic (in my opinion). You'd probably feel a lot more content eating at a sensible calorie deficit.

There are a lot of people out there who refuse to believe that you can actually eat like a normal human being and lose weight - you don't have to spend hundreds of pounds/dollars on 'products'. Of course, if this is something you want to try before you move on, then I wish you success with it.
  • strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Slimfast is not really that great. I have tried it off and on over the years. The best shake I have really had was Shakeology (yes I know most here will down the hell out of it). It is good and does make me feel better even though it is pricey and I preferred it to other things such as just protein shakes. I don't always use it for a meal sometimes it is just a snack. I also only ever drink one a day and any other meal is real food at the proper portions.
  • bethdloo
    bethdloo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Slim Fast has way too much sugar and powdered fiber.....you add most of the protein (in the form of milk). I tried Slim Fast years ago....I was always hungry. This is really low quality stuff.

If you want to go the shake route look at reviews (GNC Lean Shake is highly rated).

You could make your own shakes - start with milk or yogurt, add some high quality protein powder, a handful of spinach (for fiber) some fruit for flavor (and more fiber) and peanut butter (or other fat source). There are tons of smoothie recipes out there. But you are looking for more than just protein.

I totally agree with RedBeard....meal replacements seem like a simple solution, but switching to normal meals (eventually) will give you the tools necessary to maintain the weight you lost.

High protein, low carb, calorie count and exercise. i do a daily walking routine and i have lost 20 lbs. Protein shakes are an excellent meal replacement I have for dinner.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Instead of Slim Fast (which is mostly sugar) try cutting back on starchy carbs and watching your sugar (natural & added) intake. Mine is set around 50 gm a day and I try not to eat more than 60 gm; but I am probably quite a bit older than you so you can probably eat more. Thing abt Slim Fast (and others like it), when you come off you haven't changed your eating habits so the weight usually comes right back (along w/some extra). B)
  • emmagrace0818
    emmagrace0818 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't do a slim fast diet.. There's nothing wrong w it and others people's opinions about it don't matter.. Obviously you just want a Kickstart to your diet and eventually after you lose weight you'll go to "normal" healthy food.. This is why I don't share my diary on here bc some ppl are way too judgemental.. Good luck w your weight loss journey, you'll do great!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    bethdloo wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »

High protein, low carb, calorie count and exercise. i do a daily walking routine and i have lost 20 lbs. Protein shakes are an excellent meal replacement I have for dinner.

Protein shakes are protein SUPPLEMENTS.....not meal replacements. Your body needs more way than protein. If you are just drinking a protein shake.....add a salad for fat and fiber (to round things out). Low carb is only necessary if you have medical issues.

How does replacing your dinner with a low calorie protein shake help you in the future when you're trying to keep those 20 pounds from creeping back up?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I tried it and found it wholly unsustainable. All I wanted was food food food and more food. As a now-and-then, didn't-have-time-for-a-proper-meal thing, sure, but as a plan, I couldn't keep it up for very long.
  • myheartsabattleground
    Options
    no.