I would like to go to Outback and have the onion mum? Can I?

Options
CharonCharon
CharonCharon Posts: 264 Member
has more than 1,948 calories, 160 grams of fat
sorry,,, I'm having a craving,,, just venting.
oh wait, fat is good for you isn't it?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You can have it if you want it. But I certainly wouldn't do that often.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Plan your entire month around the onion.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You could go with three friends and split it so that you're only eating 487 cals and 40g of fat. If you're really concerned about it, go for a 4-5mi run to make room for it in your day.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat the whole thing...
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what it is, but if you can make it yourself, I bet you can do it for less calories
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Lol this.

Eat 100 calories less every day.

Man that doesn't sound worth it anymore. But I'm going to have the same issue with Cheesecake Factory's pumpkin pecan cheesecake in 2 months, except it's *only* 1100 calories to fit in.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it but had a look at the website and apparently it is meant to serve 6 (and so about 300 cals per serving.)

Doesn't seem that bad.
  • Francl27
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    Never heard of it but had a look at the website and apparently it is meant to serve 6 (and so about 300 cals per serving.)

Doesn't seem that bad.

Well it is pretty huge, if I remember correctly, but that's a gimmick to make it look like it's less calories than what it really is, most people will split it in 2 or 3 tops... but that's easier to fit in, obviously.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    ElkeKNJ wrote: »
    I have no idea what it is, but if you can make it yourself, I bet you can do it for less calories
    It's basically onion rings with a creamy dipping sauce.

1m0tyl3y5k6n.jpg

I've never tried one but I'm sure it would be awesome.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Doesn't seem that bad.

Well it is pretty huge, if I remember correctly, but that's a gimmick to make it look like it's less calories than what it really is, most people will split it in 2 or 3 tops... but that's easier to fit in, obviously.

Ah, that makes sense.

Thanks.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure my body would reject that much fat in one sitting, but I would love a taste!!
  • SingRunTing
    Options

Doesn't seem that bad.

That's because people treat it like its supposed to fill you up instead of what it is - an appetizer. An appetizer is supposed to be a small portion of something yummy before your meal, instead of replacing your meal.

FYI - even when I didn't care about what I was eating, I still could only eat a quarter of one of those. To assume that no one would eat less than half or a third is ridiculous.
  • Francl27
    Options

Doesn't seem that bad.

That's because people treat it like its supposed to fill you up instead of what it is - an appetizer. An appetizer is supposed to be a small portion of something yummy before your meal, instead of replacing your meal.

FYI - even when I didn't care about what I was eating, I still could only eat a quarter of one of those. To assume that no one would eat less than half or a third is ridiculous.

I said 'most people'. Not 'no one'.

But I guess I hang out around people with big appetites because the few times I've been to Outback and someone ordered those, we finished it with 4 people or less, no problem. 'Normal' people can probably not eat more than 1/6th, but I haven't met many normal people with normal appetites (at least here in the US).

I still put it in the 'ridiculous serving sizes' category, because I doubt that all Outback clientele goes there in parties of 6+.
  • nataliebordeauxx
    nataliebordeauxx Posts: 94 Member
    Options

I just laughed out loud so hard. Thank you for this! :p
  • SingRunTing
    edited August 2015
    Options

Doesn't seem that bad.

But I guess I hang out around people with big appetites because the few times I've been to Outback and someone ordered those, we finished it with 4 people or less, no problem. 'Normal' people can probably not eat more than 1/6th, but I haven't met many normal people with normal appetites (at least here in the US).

I still put it in the 'ridiculous serving sizes' category, because I doubt that all Outback clientele goes there in parties of 6+.

I guess its about mentality. Just because they can eat the whole thing doesn't mean they should. This food is designed to be an appetizer, not an entree, so I think the serving size is appropriate. They are saying it's designed to feed 6, if people ignore that, its on them.

When I go out to eat with smaller parties, we often will take home leftover servings of the appetizer. In fact, my husband and I have done that with the onion before. We ate a little bit of it and wrapped the rest to bring home. The party doesn't have to eat the whole thing at that moment in time just because its on the table.

ETA - if we were discussing an entree, which is supposed to be one person's dinner, I would be right there with you. Most restaurants give you at least 2-3x what an appropriate serving should be. I still blame people instead of the restaurant because you need to be an aware consumer no matter what product you're buying.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options

Doesn't seem that bad.

I agree - it's been a loooong time since I've had one of those, and it was usually eaten with 2-4 people total (including myself). Even if it's intended for 6 people, I'm pretty sure a party of 6 is more likely to order 2 orders to split lol.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The last time I went it was just my husband and I so it was too much for two people. Plus they were always undercooked or completely raw in the middle.
    Our waiter said that they had onion petals that were fried individually with a smaller portion but that same flavor. It was delicious.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Yet another thread from this OP expressing a desire to binge.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Yet another thread from this OP expressing a desire to binge.

This. OP, you should address the mental problems you have regarding food, not just the foods themselves.