I would like to go to Outback and have the onion mum? Can I?

Options

Replies

• Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yet another thread from this OP expressing a desire to binge.

Didn't even catch that but you're right... the oatmeal cookies...
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

11jwz98c4is8.jpg

Ahem...
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Either OP is trolling (and epically failing) or needs serious help. I'm going to say a bit of both aspects are at play here.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Their advice in other threads often seems to demonize fat, too, which is its own problem.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I guess its about mentality. Just because they can eat the whole thing doesn't mean they should.

of course it is- but there is a large chunk of the population here that if they automatically could self regulate in such a manner- probably wouldn't be here or behaving this conversation

#yesIrealizethisisn'tEVERYONE
    #yesIrealizenoteveryoneisheretolose

all that being said- I've not really had an issue self regulating- and I've never really been over weight- my highest semi fit "meaty" weight was still lower than my peak bulk weight (175 and 182 respectively).... and quiet frankly- I never ate less than 1/4 of one of those blooming onions- those things are effing delicious.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure my body would reject that much fat in one sitting, but I would love a taste!!

Oh, I know that feeling all too well. At the Canadian National Exhibition 3 years ago, my Mother in law wanted to have and share a version of this. I was so sick for 2 days. It felt like a terrible food poisoning and a hangover all combined. Though I'm sure the Zipper and Tilt-a-Whirl had nothing to do with this hahahahaha
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Outback has heard the cries of the people and now have 'Bloom Petals' which is onion pieces in a bowl with dipping sauce. It's like half the price & shareable without totally ruining your appetite. And you don't have to contend with greasy onion pieces and raw batter on the interior petals.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    Outback has heard the cries of the people and now have 'Bloom Petals' which is onion pieces in a bowl with dipping sauce. It's like half the price & shareable without totally ruining your appetite. And you don't have to content with greasy onion pieces and raw batter on the interior petals.

ejulnmo4tos3.jpg
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Outback has heard the cries of the people and now have 'Bloom Petals' which is onion pieces in a bowl with dipping sauce. It's like half the price & shareable without totally ruining your appetite. And you don't have to contend with greasy onion pieces and raw batter on the interior petals.

that's what I was talking about, I couldn't remember what the called them.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options

that's what I was talking about, I couldn't remember what the called them.

I saw that you mentioned them after I had posted. Even the part about the inside being under cooked! If we were on the same page enough other people must have been too. We were at Outback about a month ago for the first time in years, so these may have been out for a while, but it still took them a long time to offer it as an option.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want!

The onion things are not for me, lol, but if you want it, eat it.

It's all about choices. You have to figure out what you want and then do that. Whatever you choose, enjoy it!
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options

I saw that you mentioned them after I had posted. Even the part about the inside being under cooked! If we were on the same page enough other people must have been too. We were at Outback about a month ago for the first time in years, so these may have been out for a while, but it still took them a long time to offer it as an option. [/quote]

I was surprised they didn't take it off the menu completely after the backlash with Chili's.
  • JoRocka
    Options

well that's effing awesome- although- i do like the whole onion thing. It's just so purdy.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I guess its about mentality. Just because they can eat the whole thing doesn't mean they should.

of course it is- but there is a large chunk of the population here that if they automatically could self regulate in such a manner- probably wouldn't be here or behaving this conversation

all that being said- I've not really had an issue self regulating- and I've never really been over weight- my highest semi fit "meaty" weight was still lower than my peak bulk weight (175 and 182 respectively).... and quiet frankly- I never ate less than 1/4 of one of those blooming onions- those things are effing delicious.

I get that. My sticking point is that I place the blame of the non-regulation of intake on the consumer, not on the restaurant or the food itself. The restaurant is saying that 1 onion = 6 servings. It's not their fault if you eat more than that.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You can have anything you want. (Barring underlying medical conditions that would dictate otherwise). You cannot have EVERYTHING you want. That's the salient point that people tend to miss. You can mitigate the effects of any food item, as long as you plan ahead and figure out a way to account for the calories. The big picture of your eating pattern is what matters in the long run, not any one isolated food item.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    ElkeKNJ wrote: »
    I have no idea what it is, but if you can make it yourself, I bet you can do it for less calories
    This - there are tons of recipes for baked blooming onions with 1/2 the calories and 1/3 the fat. If I really had a craving and knew I couldn't eat just 1/6th, I would probably make my own for less calories. I have done it with other things like McDonald's Shamrock shake.
  • Mick1127
    Mick1127 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    When we have ordered it, it easily serves 5 of us with a small amount left over. As much as I love them, I can't for the life of me imagine eating an entire one by myself.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I get that. My sticking point is that I place the blame of the non-regulation of intake on the consumer, not on the restaurant or the food itself. The restaurant is saying that 1 onion = 6 servings. It's not their fault if you eat more than that.

well- I would say to that "obviously" LOL

(hashtagIknowI'mafatasswhenIeatatoutback)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Except they will still serve it to 2 people. And it's only if you read their nutrition information that you'll know that it's supposed to be for 6 people.

Again, just a ridiculous serving size to pretend it's not that bad. Does Outback even tell people that their appetizers are for sharing anyway? Most restaurants don't...