Best exercise for weight loss

Options
I've recently started hitting the gym again and cleaning up my eating - BIG TIME. I'm pretty versed in the gym, I have had trainers before and I was an athlete in College - but nothing has ever been pushed for weight loss. Does any one have any suggestions on some exercises that aid in weight loss. Right now i'm still adjusting but hitting the weights three times a week and then 2-3 times a week doing cardio. I have been doing things like the stair master, elliptical, treadmill, swimming, biking and roller skating as well as HITS and other interval training. I also try and get in 20 min of fast/hard/quick cardio after weights. I wanna hear from others who have had success with different routines and exercises!

Replies

• arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting helps preserve LBM when in a calorie deficit. HIIT cardio after weight training is optimal. Other than that it is all about the diet
  • hproctor02
    hproctor02 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sweet! I am definitely in a calorie deficient. Ive been going "medium" on the weights - just trying to feel myself out but I think I will bump it up!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Best exercise is the ones you love and will stick too.

Weight loss start in the kitchen and 99% done there.

Exercise helps you get fitter, and when you find something you love to do that is the best way to stick to it and keep going.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »
    Heavy lifting helps preserve LBM when in a calorie deficit. HIIT cardio after weight training is optimal. Other than that it is all about the diet

Is your answer! I love this. 20 seconds on 40 seconds off hill sprints on treadmill. Bye bye body fat.
  • RyanTahiti
    RyanTahiti Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    hproctor02, you mentioned no exercise "has ever been pushed for weight loss." I exercise 6 days/week and appreciate the other benefits, but as BWBTrish said, sustained weight loss is mostly done in the kitchen.
    This is a great little video describing the science and studies behind why that's true:
    https://youtu.be/fCtn4Ap8kDM
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The best exercise is one you'll keep doing.

Weight loss is about calories in being less than calories out. Exercise can help accomplish this but weight loss is more easily created by eating less, not by exercising more.

Strength training is more important than cardio, in my opinion. Maintaining lean muscle mass during the weight loss process will give you better results in the long run. Add cardio for fitness and to allow extra calories to eat along the way.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Cycling works for me

In a month or two you can build up to 20-30 miles

You get 800-1500 calories depending on speed for that

I burn about 5K calories a week on my bike and eat close to what would be maint love calories for not exercising

I don't feel hungry and exercise does me good.

Something fun to do that has a good heart rate will work.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you have to watch what you eat to make sure that you are at a calorie deficit. exercise wise, I've heard that swimming is the most efficient way to burn calories
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Table push aways.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Swim, swim, swim. Nothing burns more calories and it's so easy to do. :)
  • jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Any exercise that will keep you interested! Personally, I started kickboxing classes and I love them. I really hated going to the gym and just using equipment. Also, remember what everyone else said, it is largely your diet as well.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    The best exercise is one you'll keep doing.

Weight loss is about calories in being less than calories out. Exercise can help accomplish this but weight loss is more easily created by eating less, not by exercising more.

Strength training is more important than cardio, in my opinion. Maintaining lean muscle mass during the weight loss process will give you better results in the long run. Add cardio for fitness and to allow extra calories to eat along the way.

This.
  • bubbex2
    bubbex2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Try doing interval training. Do all the exersizes one time with no breaks between. Then do interval cardio...walk/run on the treadmill, 30 seconds heavy biking with a minute slow down at least three times. Then do a second interval with cardio following. Add your third interval and you're done. Only takes about an hour or so. I always do abs first because when I'm done with my workout I'm too tired!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Diet is most important. Had to get that out there.

I wish when I was starting in my calorie deficit I had been lifting heavy (I was a cardio bunny then) Lift heavy. You'll thank me later.