Alright people who supposedly get full on 1200, how do you do it?

Replies

• jms5137
    jms5137 Posts: 26 Member
    No idea. I can hardly get full on 1600
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited August 2015
    My thought is if someone is truly full on 1200 calories/day they are not very active, elderly, or have not been doing it for very long. I noticed some people on this thread who have responded that they do feel full on 1200 calories/day have days where it is much higher or have skipped days of logging. I prefer to pick a sustainable number and not jump around too much.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    I did it at first. I'm short and wasn't too overweight to begin with, so MFP gave me 1200. It was fine. I wasn't hungry at first. I'd never eaten a lot anyway- it's just that pre-MFP, what I did eat was junky high calorie stuff (Starbucks frappuccino every day... what was I thinking?).

Once I started getting more active, 1200 didn't work at all and I bumped it up to 1480.
  • mk732
    mk732 Posts: 17 Member
    I'm in maintenance but when I was losing weight, I ate about 1200-1300 calories per day and was rarely hungry. I did it by cutting down on high calorie desserts like apple pie which I used to eat quite often and I stopped drinking my calories. I also had foods like oatmeal, soups (usually the non-cream based ones), chilies, and lean proteins. These are all food that I enjoy and fill me up.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    I feel full most of the time with between 1200 and 1300 calories. I weigh my food (in grams!) on my food scale. What helps me is that I have really cut down on the calorie dense foods and I am actually able to eat more food when I chose low calorie options. I love spinach salads. I eat a lot of watermelon and pineapple, carrots and celery. When I eat fruit and vegetables instead of a piece of cheesecake , I feel a lot fuller with fewer calories. I also drink a full 8 oz. glass of water before each meal which helps to make me feel fuller.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Not too long ago I made a dinner of a chicken thigh, 5 oz of broccoli, and 5 oz of mushrooms (since that's what I had in the house). All cooked in butter (not a ton of butter, like 21g if I recall). I ate and ate and only kept eating because I needed to meet my calorie goals (since I knew I'd be hungry the next day if I didn't eat enough). It wasn't even 500 calories, if I recall. I said to myself at the time "self, next time add some G.D. rice or potatoes." The problem with this meal was it was too much volume vs. the mouth satisfaction I received (though I knew long-term the calories, protein and fat would last me for a long time).

There's food you'll find more filling and satisfying. I enjoy experimenting and trying out new things and "hacking" my meals, so I achieve whatever goals I've set recently. Make your diary public, and ask us! Doing something like adding 1T of chia seed to your yogurt (just as a for instance) can drastically increase how long that yogurt keeps you full. But little "tips" like that for being satisfied on fewer calories can vary from person to person and there's lots of personal experience and experiments you'd have to do. But hey, you eat every day, right? Every day is a new chance to experiment if you stick to the basics of CI<CO for weight loss.

I eat more than 1200 calories on average. But there are days where I can't do it unless I eat chocolate, peanut butter, cheese and other high-fat things.

[YES, I'm a nerd:] For me, each food has a mental rating of (1) how much volume is it in my stomach (2) how tasty do I find it (3) how long will I be sustained on the calories physically (4) how long will the feeling of satisfaction last (5) how many calories/nutrients does it have and (6) how much does it cost (numeric ratings are on a scale of 0-10)

8oz of tap water would rate 3-0-:00-:30-0-$0
    8oz of whole milk would rate 3-1-1:30-:45-150(+nutrients)-$0.65
    8oz of diet dr. pepper would rate 3-5-:00-:30-0-$0.20

Which one I choose depends on my goals.
  • airbent
    airbent Posts: 150 Member
    edited August 2015
    I used to feel like 1200 was enough, but I've evolved on this. Even if you can do 1200 cal/day and supposedly feel full, WHY? If you're not older and not totally sedentary, why is there a race to eat as little as possible. Someone on here said that the person who wins is the person who can eat the most and lose weight. I think that's true.

I set my goal for a 2lb a week deficit. Which, yeah, gives me 1200 cal but recently with my fitbit tracking my steps (on average I don't do any other workouts other than heavy lifting) and giving me a more accurate TDEE, I eat the calories back to get between 1500-1700 cal/day. I feel GREAT and this week I lost 2.2lbs. My fitbit tells me that I'm eating 1000 cal below TDEE. This is the second week that I've been doing it and I'm going to give it a few more weeks and see if it holds, because it will show how accurate my logging really is. If I can get my daily steps in and eat an extra 3-500 cal/a day, WHY would I not do that, lol. I don't have to minimize breakfast and I can use butter and oil, it's great. (if you tell me you can stick to 1200 kcal without cutting most of your cooking oils and butter, with room in your budget for snacks and stuff, i straightup do not believe you).
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    For me it was impossible to do at 1st because significantly cutting my Caloric intake, felt like I was "Crash Dieting". So that I don't yo yo & give up, only to try again after gaining back, what I lost & an additional 10 Pounds, I just decreased my Caloric intake by about 100, every week; until I reached 1200.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    They switch to lots of food with fiber-- leafy greens and other. veggies
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I suspect it's a combination of a few things:

1. They've just recently started, and it's still a mental game convincing themselves they're "full" - their hunger will catch up after a week or two.
    I have lost 45lbs and got another 55lbs to go, so way past the mental "convinced I am full game"

2. They're not accurately measuring calories, and they're actually eating much more than that
    I weigh everything I eat

3. They're eating a crap ton of lettuce, broccoli, and other cruciferous vegetables, which while seemingly 'healthy', will eventually leave them short of necessary fats and proteins.
    I eat salad with proteins for lunch and vegetable with my dinner.

4. Or, they actually are quite old, short and close to their goal weight, so that 1200 calories is actually a reasonable goal (probably ~1% of those actually eating 1200 calories)
    I am not old or close to goal

Typical day:
    Breakfast quark with fresh berries 200kcals (10g proteins), can be a bit less or more depends on how much and type of berries I add

Lunch chicken or tuna salad 250kcals depending on what I put in my salad, I generally use a full chicken breast
    Sometimes I replace the chicken/tuna with smoked mackerel

Snack 100-150kcals my current favorite is quiche cupcakes http://www.slenderkitchen.com/quiche-cupcakes/
    http://www.willcookforfriends.com/2014/04/crustless-mini-quiche-single-serving-breakfast-muffins.html

I am now left with an average of 600Kcals for dinner or dinner and a treat. My dinner varies greatly, from a home made curry to spaghetti and meatballs. Burger on a potato waffle with a fried egg or bacon, with mushrooms and salad on the side. Fish/White meat and steamed veg, stir fries w/rice noodles, steak with fried mushrooms (I love mushrooms) and steamed veg, if I have left over calories to spend, I'll add a potato waffle or have dessert. I use full fat butter (not margarine) and olive oils.

On days I work out I eat more than 1200Kcals (up to 1400) and will add avocado or cottage cheese to my lunch time salad and a sprinkling of seeds.

Today for dinner I am having spicy/ovenbaked cauliflowerhead with cod, green beans and pesto and fruitsalad for dessert, so I am hardly feeling deprived and at weekends, my Sunday breakfast is normally a bacon buttie in a gluten free roll, or a GF roll with scrambled eggs and smoked salmon.

IF I want a glass of wine with my dinner I will of course have to forgo some of my food and I might feel a bit hungry depending on my food choices, but I generally try to plan ahead and stock up on protein as I find for ME high proteins keeps my hunger at bay.
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    I wouldn't say I'm full on 1200 calories...satisfied is a better word. First, I am small. Under 5'2" and 131lbs (goal 125 to start). 1200 at sedentary puts me at .5 lb/week. I have a Vivofit so those calories get added to the 1200 and I do eat back a portion of my exercise calories (not much of Crossfit, but most of running cals). I'm on day 33 today and this is the best I've ever felt losing weight. I'm active and workout 5x/week. I have felt great working out this month. That is a big indicator to me that I'm getting enough.

To feel satisfied, I have to keep treat/junk food to a minimum. That includes eating out. I'm a stay-at-home/homeschooling mom of 4 boys so I rarely eat out. My diet consists of a lot of meat and veggies with rice or potatoes thrown in (for running energy). I've eaten out twice this month (that is A LOT for me) and those were my hardest days. That isn't to say that I never have a treat. I have found room for a serving of chips or a couple of squares of chocolate. Sometimes there's no room for them so I go without. Oh, and I only drink coffee (1-2 cups in the morning) and water. I have had a couple of alcoholic beverages this month, but they've fit into my calories. Hubby makes a great skinny margarita.

All that to say that I think it is my size that makes the difference. If I were taller, I would not be eating at 1200. I envy my husband and his calorie intake (he's 6' and 200lbs). It is so much easier to absorb a night out for him. I'll have a little more leeway when I hit maintenance, but I'm learning that such is life for a small person.
  • ForestFairy022
    ForestFairy022 Posts: 99 Member
    Low calorie, high volume food. Lots of water and liquids.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    I don't use the term "full." Satiated is better, and I'm not starving or getting hungry growling going on. I hardly get full on 1200 calories. I'm only 5'1" and sit at home on my butt typing most of the day (work), so I have to count carefully, especially weeks like this one where I have so much work that I have to do my minimum 3 miles on my treadmill in 1/2 mile increments through the day.

I also know by body, that I can go longer in the mornings without food than I can the rest of the day, so I skip breakfast. I rarely think about food until after noon, 1:00, especially when I have a ton of work to do. I eat a light lunch and a bigger dinner with room for a dessert before I call it a day.

Coffee also helps.
  • TRC64
    TRC64 Posts: 22 Member
    I do 1200 three times a week (non-exercise days) so I can eat more on the weekends. I basically plan every meal around a protein, then add veggies. Carbs and fats can be fit in, just in small amounts. While I do get hungry if a meal is delayed, that's true of higher calories days, too. I'm certainly not starving.

Adding some vanilla protein powder to nonfat plain yogurt with fresh berries is a filling breakfast. A lunch of 2 eggs and 3 tbsp egg whites scrambled with 50 gm mixed greens is a staple and keeps me full until dinner. Sometimes I'll add a piece of fruit.

For dinner, I usually do some variation of salad. A mixed green salad with 3 oz of protein, 2 oz of potato or 1/4-1/2 cup multigrain rice, and 2 tbsp Italian dressing makes me feel full and satisfied. A salad of this sort makes the tiny protein and carb servings seem like much more, and it takes longer to eat. Other family members just eat regular servings of protein and carb, and have a side salad. No special cooking on my part, just combining the food differently.

Sometimes I'll have a larger protein serving, skip the carb and just eat an extra veggie.

I'm eating 1200 calories today, and have managed to work in a dinner and glass of wine at Outback restaurant. It's certainly doable, it just requires planning.
  • ForestFairy022
    ForestFairy022 Posts: 99 Member
    An example of my day...

Breakfast:
    5 Egg white omelet with veg(160)

Snack: Low fat yoghurt (175)

Lunch:
    Chicken stir fry (100g chicken breast, 150g vegetables, some sauce) (323)

Snack: Nuts (150 about)

Dinner:
    Tuna sandwich
    1 wholewheat bun (130)
    1 can tuna in water (130)
    Cucumber (6)
    Tomato (10)
    Lite mayo (15)
    Tomato sauce (15)
    Total: (306)

Dessert: 2 pieces of chocolate
    (120)

Grand total :1234
  • bfit172
    bfit172 Posts: 32 Member
    This isn't a thread bashing you, it's me asking how do you manage it?? I get super hungry on that little a day, however I'm wanting to try it again. What are your typical meals? Do you ever feel famished?

For me I was always a tiny kid and relatives would tease me and say I ate like a bird so I thought I was bad for not eating more so I ate until I felt sick, got use to it and ate like that even if I didn't mean to. It wasn't a problem until college and my metabolism slowed. Gained weight and now trying to get it off. Now I'm limiting calories and it's tough but easier as time goes on maybe because that was what I was originally use to doing. I think it's just something your body needs to adjust to. Take it slow because you don't want to do a drastic overnight change and leave yourself feeling dizzy. Someone once explained it to me like this that just as regular arm muscle can shrink and grow so can your stomach muscles- therefore your appetite can fluctuate as well. It just takes time.
  • bfit172
    bfit172 Posts: 32 Member
    Also, search low calorie recipes for your favorite dishes. There are usually adaptations to lower calories, fat, sugar, and sodium. While boosting lean protein and veggies. Try this http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/pictures/34862/meals-under-200-calories
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Okay, first of all, I also find it odd (and insulting) that so many people think it's impossible to be satisfied on 1200 calories. Of course, if you're 5'10 and active, then you'll be hungry on 1200 calories! But, as a 5'2" female, close to goal weight with a desk job I can absolutely feel full on 1100-1200 calories (and yes, that's with weighing in grams!) and that does not leave me with a huge weight loss, on average .5-.8 lbs/week. The first, and most important thing is for you to identify what makes sense FOR YOU. Don't pick 1200 calories because that seems like the fastest, most extreme way to lose and don't pick a higher calorie goal because people say that 1200 is crazy low.

With that said, to answer the OP's question, I did used to be starving on 1200 calories until I found the food combination and eating style that worked for me. Like WBB55 said, experiment and find what works for you because it is different for everyone. For me, whole foods that are full fat and high protein work best to fill me up, along with high volume foods. I discovered this when I played with going "Paleoish" for a month, following some of the principles of Paleo but not all and still measuring and tracking calories. I'm not a Paleo follower and I don't have any off limits foods now, but that month really helped me understand how filling avocado, chicken thighs and steak are, rather than chicken breast (which doesn't taste as good to me) but I used to eat because I grew up in the "low fat" crazy days. I learned that fat and protein help me feel full and refined carbohydrates do not (again, contrary to what I learned 20 years ago). Previously, when I was trying to "diet" to 1200 calories, I would eat a lot of 100 calorie packs of crackers, bread thins, and other "low fat" and those things would just make me hungrier.

So, what I eat now to feel full: soups (bone broth is awesome--high protein and low calorie) and salads for volume, meats, vegetables, fruits, greek yogurt, oatmeal, avocados, eggs, almonds, kashi bars (be careful with bars, look for high protein and high fiber), etc.

Food timing also makes a difference for me and this is another area to experiment since different people have very different timing needs. I tend to be hungry at night so I save calories for the evening. I usually have a kashi bar and black coffee for breakfast in the mid-morning (about 140 calories), lunch for around 300-400 calories (frozen meal, salad, leftovers, etc.), and a late-afternoon snack (about 200 calories) of greek yogurt and/or almonds and/or fruit and/or low fat cheese (in this case, low fat helps by upping the protein to calorie ratio). This leaves me with about 500 calories for the evening. I usually use this for a 400 calorie dinner (meat, veggies and a starch) and then a 100 calorie treat (either ice cream or chips, since I love both!).

One quick caveat, I was very successful with this plan and even managed to fit eating out into it (by skipping snacks and having a lower calorie lunch on days when I had dinner plans). However, now that I've added in more exercise to my day by getting a standing desk, running and weight lifting, I typically eat more than 1200 calories per day, especially on workout days. Listen to your body and understand what will work for you with how you're living right now.

Good luck with finding the eating plan that works best for you! :smile:
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    I work out at least 400 calories a day to eat! :o) And I'm always hungry. Broccoli helps. Big steamed bowl. Also hot herbal tea or lemon water. I'm 5'2" in lose weight mode so I'm 1200 calories. Someone told me that my maintenance calories won't be much more....waaaah! So EXERCISE is key.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I suspect it's a combination of a few things:

1. They've just recently started, and it's still a mental game convincing themselves they're "full" - their hunger will catch up after a week or two.
    I have lost 45lbs and got another 55lbs to go, so way past the mental "convinced I am full game"

2. They're not accurately measuring calories, and they're actually eating much more than that
    I weigh everything I eat

3. They're eating a crap ton of lettuce, broccoli, and other cruciferous vegetables, which while seemingly 'healthy', will eventually leave them short of necessary fats and proteins.
    I eat salad with proteins for lunch and vegetable with my dinner.

4. Or, they actually are quite old, short and close to their goal weight, so that 1200 calories is actually a reasonable goal (probably ~1% of those actually eating 1200 calories)
    I am not old or close to goal

Typical day:
    Breakfast quark with fresh berries 200kcals (10g proteins), can be a bit less or more depends on how much and type of berries I add

Lunch chicken or tuna salad 250kcals depending on what I put in my salad, I generally use a full chicken breast
    Sometimes I replace the chicken/tuna with smoked mackerel

Snack 100-150kcals my current favorite is quiche cupcakes http://www.slenderkitchen.com/quiche-cupcakes/
    http://www.willcookforfriends.com/2014/04/crustless-mini-quiche-single-serving-breakfast-muffins.html

I am now left with an average of 600Kcals for dinner or dinner and a treat. My dinner varies greatly, from a home made curry to spaghetti and meatballs. Burger on a potato waffle with a fried egg or bacon, with mushrooms and salad on the side. Fish/White meat and steamed veg, stir fries w/rice noodles, steak with fried mushrooms (I love mushrooms) and steamed veg, if I have left over calories to spend, I'll add a potato waffle or have dessert. I use full fat butter (not margarine) and olive oils.

On days I work out I eat more than 1200Kcals (up to 1400) and will add avocado or cottage cheese to my lunch time salad and a sprinkling of seeds.

Today for dinner I am having spicy/ovenbaked cauliflowerhead with cod, green beans and pesto and fruitsalad for dessert, so I am hardly feeling deprived and at weekends, my Sunday breakfast is normally a bacon buttie in a gluten free roll, or a GF roll with scrambled eggs and smoked salmon.

IF I want a glass of wine with my dinner I will of course have to forgo some of my food and I might feel a bit hungry depending on my food choices, but I generally try to plan ahead and stock up on protein as I find for ME high proteins keeps my hunger at bay.

You food sounds delicious.....especially your dinners :smile: