Soda....

Options
It is my biggest issue... Dont get me wrong, I LOVE WATER but I still have the occasional soda and its so hard to give up... Any tips!?

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you mean by occassional, my advice is don't stress. Sure soda isn't healthy, but really neither is beer or brownies. An occassional anything shouldn't be too big of a deal.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I just had to quit to soda cold turkey one day.
  • mejustmichael
    mejustmichael Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    try to substitute the zero cal sparkling water.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I used to L O V E soda, now I can't stand it.
    It is toooo sweet!
    Maybe once a month I'll get a diet orange soda, but other than that, I don't drink it.
    Took me a few weeks/months to stop drinking/craving it. Now I crave water :)
    Try drinking more water and cutting back soda and eventually not drinking any.
    Saves you money too! hehe
  • bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I just had to quit to soda cold turkey one day.

Same here. My occasional Dr. Pepper turned into a 6-8 per day habit, so one day I just quit cold turkey. It's been 10 weeks. I still crave it, and when I do, I have an iced tea (no sweetner).

One thing that I love is that now that I've quit the soda, I can enjoy iced teas without any sugar or sweetner in them, and actually taste the flavors and find them enjoyable. It took me nearly 3 weeks to get to that point.

Good luck - it's not easy, but it is doable. I'd been drinking at least one big soda a day for over 20 years. And I don't intend to go back.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you really can't seem to do without it, at least consider switching to diet. Do your own research... some people say diet soda is worse than regular because of the artificial sweeteners. That's your decision to make. Personally, soda is my biggest vice so I switched from Pepsi/Coke to Pepsi Max or Cherry Coke Zero.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Im really big on diet coke. I can go a whole week without it and them BAM im drinkin a whole liter to myself in one day. :grumble: I drink more then the required amout of water a day and as long as soda isnt in front of me im okay but given the opportunity its already gone before I even think about it. Blah...
  • DanaDeniece
    DanaDeniece Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to drink anywhere between 2 to 4 regular Cokes (12 ounce cans) every day. When I started dieting, I switched to Diet Barq's Root Beer. It doesn't have the same aftertaste as other diet sodas. Diet Sunskit isn't bad either. I hope this helps. Good luck !!!
  • JaycrazyRose
    JaycrazyRose Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way. All I used to drink was Diet Caffeine free Diet Pepsi or diet Sierra Mist. But now I have not had really too much soda in months. I will have an occasional soda every now and then but I do not over do it as much as I used to. There was a time when that was all I used to drink and the thought of drinking water of any kind was not for me. But now that I am trying to lose weight all I drink is either Vitamin water, powerade Zero, 4C totally diet green tea, and Crystal light.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    MODERATION is the key! Treat yourself once in awhile...just don't go crazy - what you have bad today will show up a month later...!
  • akwagner25
    akwagner25 Posts: 62
    Options
    I had to quit cold turkey with it. I really didn't intend to, but I just started drinking iced tea one day and I haven't gone back to soda. I am sincerely hoping that I don't ever go back to it. It's been a little over 3 months.

I think it helped jump start my weight loss though as I always retained so much water while drinking it. Good luck to you if you decide to quit.
  • miss01k
    miss01k Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm right there with ya! I carry around a jug with 64 oz of water. When I finish my water for the day I reward myself with a coke on occasion. I have also switched to half regular and half diet coke but sometimes I just want the real deal. Now that I have been drinking more water I don't crave the coke as much. It has taken about 3 months though. Good luck!
  • mikesnwgirl
    mikesnwgirl Posts: 112
    Options
    I love my Cherry coke zero. I used to drink several a day. Now I let myself have one a day. Sometimes I don't even want it, or I start to drink it and never finish. As long as I have my water now there just doesn't seem to be room for the soda. I get my water by drinking the crystal light on the go mixes. They are so handy I love them!
  • lyndyb88
    lyndyb88 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I used to L O V E soda, now I can't stand it.
    It is toooo sweet!
    Maybe once a month I'll get a diet orange soda, but other than that, I don't drink it.
    Took me a few weeks/months to stop drinking/craving it. Now I crave water :)
    Try drinking more water and cutting back soda and eventually not drinking any.
    Saves you money too! hehe

I'm the exact same way...I had to force myself to just quit drinking soda, and one day we went out to eat and out of habit I ordered a Dr. Pepper. I took one drink and had to ask for a water instead because it was just too sweet. I did the cold turkey thing too...one day I just poured out what was in the fridge and every time I craved the pop I either guzzled some water or chewed a piece of sugarfree gum. It helped a lot...I've had maybe three cans of soda since January. It only gets easier to not drink it. Now I actually prefer water over soda. Good luck!
  • DapperDano
    Options
    Depending on what you mean by occassional, my advice is don't stress. Sure soda isn't healthy, but really neither is beer or brownies. An occassional anything shouldn't be too big of a deal.

What are you talking about? Haven't you ever seen the "Guinness is Good for You" signs?

:)
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I just had to go cold turkey....

Haven't had any for 1 year and 2 months.

You would not believe the weight I dropped from getting rid of Coke Zero!