Weight-Loss Exercises to Do at Home?

I'm a Dad. I can't always run/cycle/swim/gym because I have the kids. Yes, me & the kids spend plenty of time outdoors, but sometimes I feel frustrated that I can't get some high-intensity exercise in.

What do other parents do to burn calories at home with minimal equipment?

Thanks

Replies

• mewilliams11
    mewilliams11 Posts: 139 Member
    I have a 7 year old & 19 month old so I know how challenging it can be to exercise at home. I set up an obstacle course with sprints, crab walks, bear crawls, tire jumps, etc.. It's a great workout & really gets your blood pumping!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I do fitness blender videos on YouTube. There's a huge variety. I did invest in a set of adjustable weights to use with some of them but many are body weight only.
  • briggs45
    briggs45 Posts: 5 Member
    I'm a dad with young 3 boys. I have been doing T25 and the Mens Health Anarchy workout. I like the T25 workout because it every one of the workouts are nonstop and 25 minutes and the five me a great sweat. 3 days a week I do both T25 and Anarchy, both are about 30 minutes each. All you need are some dumbbells. Been doing it since June 1, lost 33 lbs so far.
  • TaraFIT03
    TaraFIT03 Posts: 65 Member
    I do Zumba videos off of YouTube. But there are other things fitness related you can checkout. :)
  • hebdenbiker
    hebdenbiker Posts: 24 Member
    Thanks for the replies. Will Google T25 & Anarchy
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    There's exercises for fitness, but not for weight loss. Exercise can help create a calorie deficit, but it can be easily trumped by a couple of candy bars.
    There are lots of body weight exercises you can do. If you want to make them harder, change the leverage or do them faster.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • IrishMiner76
    IrishMiner76 Posts: 38 Member
    briggs45 wrote: »
    I'm a dad with young 3 boys. I have been doing T25 and the Mens Health Anarchy workout. I like the T25 workout because it every one of the workouts are nonstop and 25 minutes and the five me a great sweat. 3 days a week I do both T25 and Anarchy, both are about 30 minutes each. All you need are some dumbbells. Been doing it since June 1, lost 33 lbs so far.

I also am a Dad of two young boys and one older girl, I enjoy doing T25 it is an awesome workout, I had a treadmill but got rid of it and bought an elliptical it's killer ! also a guilty fun exercise is the Nintendo Wii boxing and Wii dance lots of laughs with the kids on rainy days..Cheers and feel free to add me its always good to have support from like minded MFP'ers !!
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    i do body combat from home - martial arts kickboxing class to music, absolutely amazing and a great workout - you tube or dvds
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    i do body combat from home - martial arts kickboxing class to music, absolutely amazing and a great workout - you tube or dvds

I do the same thing. I love kickboxing. They have some other videos that are really good you just have to go through the list and try stuff out. Not to mention the fact that I don't have to go anywhere or see anyone, which makes me happy.

• austingilliam777
    austingilliam777 Posts: 1 Member
    I also am a Dad of two young boys and one older girl, I enjoy doing T25 it is an awesome workout, I had a treadmill but got rid of it and bought an elliptical it's killer ! also a guilty fun exercise is the Nintendo Wii boxing and Wii dance lots of laughs with the kids on rainy days..Cheers and feel free to add me its always good to have support from like minded MFP'ers !!

Wii Boxing is an amazing workout! (Assuming you're actually putting weight into it.) Really easy way to incorporate exercise while you're babysitting/watching your own kids. Never tried Wii Dance, will have to try it.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Check out fitnessblender.com.
  • coolz19465
    coolz19465 Posts: 11 Member
    28 year old dad of two young kids, and I work at DOMINOS of all places... I'm doing Dailyburn and enjoy it. but I am only at 2 weeks in.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I play with my kids on the play ground and that can be crazy intense workout. Especially when the other kids see a parent is playing oh they all join together to beat the grown up... I play groundies, hide and seek, tag, anything the kids want to play. All the other moms tell me, "Oh my child calls you the, 'fun mom,'" and I'm thinking,
    "All I do is play on the playground instead of being on the sidelines on my phone like every other mom...."

As for my go-to workout at home. This week my little one is sick so I haven't made it into the gym. When he's napping I'll put on my favorite show, get a deck of cards and just do body weight exercises with what ever number I flip over, (Diamonds are push-up Clubs are squats etc)
  • hebdenbiker
    hebdenbiker Posts: 24 Member
    The ideas on this thread are amazing. Thanks everyone
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    I do fitness blender videos on YouTube. There's a huge variety. I did invest in a set of adjustable weights to use with some of them but many are body weight only.
    JenMc14 wrote: »
    Check out fitnessblender.com.

+1

Another Blender here :) - They are really good and easy to do at home and they have varying levels of intensity